Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:28:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread  (Read 39277 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2020, 04:35:30 AM »
George Lucas created one of my all time, most beloved movies with the original... later called A New Hope. I love almost everything about it. To me it is timeless, a sci-fi fantasy fable in part because of the stark good versus evil. But Lucas went further and further away from what I loved as time went by.

I liked the idea the Boba and Jango were Mandalorians as explained in Legends but that has become a sort of literary alternate reality because in Canon, they are not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nua2NUgvCkw

As for Star Wars Galaxies, when I hear people talk of a game they loved ruined and then taken offline it makes me sad, even though I never played it. It reminds me of Pirates of the Burning Sea which I did play (and loved) that also got run into the ground... pardon the pun.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2020, 09:26:57 AM »
Anybody else heard the wild rumours about Pedro Pascal becoming difficult on set, storming off in a huff, and that the role may be recast as he has already left?

May well just be a load of bollocks, but word is that he was tired of being a glorified voice actor, and wanted more scenes without the helmet, like Stallone in his Dredd movie.

Who knows, but I do love a bit of industry gossip.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2020, 09:40:02 AM »
It's a load of old bollocks  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2020, 09:41:23 AM »
I do not know your source but I found these with a quick google search, which indicate to me that the rumors you mention are false.

https://www.geekositymag.com/post/is-pedro-pascal-leaving-the-mandalorian

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/pedro-pascal-quit-mandalorian-actor-rumors-fake

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
I don't want the Star Wars universe to cease having Jedi/Sith/Force, but I want to see parts of it that aren't FOCUSED on that black and white version of good and evil. Sadly, I'm not sure that you can introduce Jedi or Sith without the accompanying extremes. A force sensitive child is fine, though I would be lying if I didn't want that story line to end so we can move onto some other plot.

To be fair, the direction of the majority of the modern material has been about the grey areas rather than black and white.

Clone Wars for example, is full of examples of the Jedi being quite pompous, outspoken and refusing to help those in need on a number of occasions. It portrays them as being far more political than simply the clean 'good guys' in the original trilogy.

As for the "Jedi", it may not be a "Jedi" as such. After all, this is set after Return of the Jedi but before the new movies. So far as we know, Leia and Luke are the last Jedi at this point. Ahsoka Tano, for example, is not a Jedi. She is Jedi trained, yes, but not signed up member of the Jedi, which means she is not necessarily bound by their beliefs and rules. You also have force sensitives that have had no training at all bar what they have taught themselves.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2020, 04:07:17 PM »
You also have force sensitives that have had no training at all bar what they have taught themselves.

That may be ok. It just depends on how it is handled, but that isn't really my main grumble. More of a result of having to include Jedi/Sith in everything.

Including the Force at all is a little like making sure that every movie about sports includes a hall of fame athlete. Yes, some people are world class athletes, but the vast majority of us aren't. So you could tell a good sports story without including an athlete of far above average prowess. Something along those lines. Bad News Bears. That story isn't better by including Cal Ripken on the team (insert your own baseball hero if it helps you draw the connection). I think that is maybe my point. We can have the Bad News Bears with a kid who dreams about playing in Major League Baseball (acknowledge that it exists) but we don't need any of the players to make a cameo or hit the game winning home run.

In this case, the Star Wars universe has so much more to offer than the Force. I prefer to see those other bits, **OR** I would like to see them go big with the force. I don't want my Force powers to include struggling to pick up a lightsaber or lifting a rock. I want that Force Unleashed experience, or even the KOTOR level of force powers. Sort of like I don't want my Gandalf to make a sparkle and a flash of light. I want him to man up to the Balrog and be a force to be reckoned with. I just don't like piddling around in the middle.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2020, 02:04:51 PM »
At which point I guess I would ask whether you are into the wrong franchise then. I don't mean that horribly but one of the main things that makes Star Wars different to any other sci fi trope is that it has "the force". Now, I do understand that it also has a nicely rich universe too, but even in things like the Mandalorian, although not directly featuring the two sides of the force directly, it is eluded to and does shape the story.

It is more or less impossible to separate the Empire from the Emperor and the Sith as they shaped it. In the same way it is difficult to separate the senate and therefore the rebels from the Jedi. The theme is central to the universe and the telling of it's stories.

The all or nothing approach is what has met it's biggest critics too. The Emperor being seen as far too powerful. Rey gaining use of the force competently too quickly. Luke not being seen as powerful enough...

I like that they are exploring side stories. Depicting the view of the decades of conflict from the perspective of those that perhaps are on the fringes of it, or are trying to escape it. One has to remember though, that Mandalorian falls in the period between RotJ and Force Awakens. That means this is relatively new territory and there are bits of storyline they may want to touch on, such as the rumoured Boba Fett. I expect that it'll be more of a commentary though, so storylines that touch on but don't necessarily see directly what happened or what has happened to other characters and storylines.

As for Gandelf, that's another story. But he's not meant to be a giant slaying warrior as such, at least not by the time you get to the LotR where he is older. Much like Obi Wan when it comes to A New Hope. He's not as able a warrior as he once was, his age impacts upon his ability to use the force, much like Yoda in ESB, and arguably to some degree as Vader in RotJ.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2020, 03:51:00 PM »
This looks interesting, a floaty boat as opposed to a hovery boat  :D

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2020, 04:04:26 PM »
I was with you McFonz up until that last paragraph. I agree with your comments on the Star Wars universe and the Force being part of what defines it.

But as for Gandalf, Obi-wan, Darth Vader and Yoda.... I disagree, I do not think their chronological age had any impact on their abilities. If anything, their youth was shown at a time people wanted, expected even, power creep. This conversation illustrates that I believe.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2020, 05:34:09 PM »
This looks interesting, a floaty boat as opposed to a hovery boat  :D

Yeah, you don't see a lot of 'traditional' watercraft in Star Wars. The Wookie boats in RotS are some of the only ones I recall?

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2020, 05:55:45 PM »
Yeah, you don't see a lot of 'traditional' watercraft in Star Wars. The Wookie boats in RotS are some of the only ones I recall?

Wookie boats?
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2020, 06:13:02 PM »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2020, 07:07:32 PM »
Again, I'm not against the Jedi/Sith thing but I don't think it has to be the center of every Star Wars story. Least of all at a time when they were supposed to be scarce, if not wiped out. There is just more out there, why not explore it without the constraints that the Jedi/Sith create once they are introduced? Part of the draw of the old westerns, if I'm not mistaken, is that the guy you are rooting for is rarely "good" in the traditional sense. Josey Wales is an outlaw. He isn't meant to take sides with someone like the Lone Ranger (or other intolerably one dimensional do-gooder) regardless of whether his actions have some heart and humanity in the end. Again, I'm just hoping that Mando isn't dragged into taking sides with the Jedi just because he is saving the kid. He could bump into a Jedi, do a handoff, and mosey into the sunset. That is fine. That would be a level of involvement that I could be ok with, and that doesn't turn the whole show into the "Mando & Secret Jedi save the galaxy" thing I fear will happen.

Also, I'm not sure the Wookies had boats, but the Droids didn't seem to be against riding the waves:

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2020, 08:16:35 PM »
Some of us intolerably one dimensional do-gooders like to see similar representations on the screen.

That is a cool looking boat scene you put there. So much more could have been done with the droid army to make them interesting antagonists rather than comic relief. I must have glossed over several cool scenes like that because of how the droids were portrayed personality wise.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2020, 08:27:28 PM »
Weren't the wookiee catamaran craft usable in the water and air?