Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread  (Read 40169 times)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread
« Reply #375 on: December 14, 2020, 07:14:15 PM »
I reckon Fett dies this week  :D

Cara Dune and Moff Gideon.
And at the end Thrawn will come up and take Grogu. ;)
No jedi will answer
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 07:16:28 PM by rumacara »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #376 on: December 14, 2020, 07:36:32 PM »
I didn't mind the helmet removal scene. It played well in terms of how far Mando is willing to go to save the Child.

By the way, I hate the name Grogu. Grogu sounds like a Gammorean name to me. It sounds oafish/lumpish. Not a fan of that choice. Being that the two other beings of this race that we know are Yoda and Yaddle, wouldn't it have made more sense to go with Yogu? After digging on the internet it would seem that others of this species are named Oteg, Minch and Vandar Tokare. Very inconsistent naming conventions all the way around. Still don't like Grogu, and how are there so many of these critters about and nobody knows their species or origin? Yaddle and Yoda are on the Jedi Council. Oteg is a Jedi Master and Fleet Admiral. Minch is a Jedi knight, and Vandar Tokare is a Jedi Master, head of the Dantooine Jedi Enclave and held seats on both the Jedi Council and Academy Council in 3952 BBY. I mean, over thousands of years and with many prominent Jedi they can't figure out where these dudes keep popping up from? Yes, some of this might not be Canon, but still...

Anyway, I liked the episode. I think that the pirates would have made a bit more sense as freedom fighters trying to remove the Remnants from the planet, but maybe the pirates blow up the vehicles and scavenge materials from the wreck? Perhaps it is easier to go that route and just remove the troopers from the equation than it might be to blow out the drive train and have to fight it out. Still, they seemed pretty set on blowing up the transport even in the face of heavy losses. There would have to be something pretty valuable in the salvage to need that last transport despite having lost an entire skiff crew and bagging two other transports just minutes earlier.

I didn't mind Fett's involvement as the getaway driver. After all, it is his ship, and he had ruled himself out of going into the tunnel to hijack the transport earlier. I think that left driving as about the only thing he could contribute. I liked Mayfield's return, but I wasn't sure I understood why he didn't stay on for the next mission. Or, at a minimum, got a ride off-planet? I did like his reaction to the jerk officer who played fast and loose with his comrades' lives. I wonder how much of that kind of thing happened after WWI or WWII. I can imagine some poor guy who survived trench warfare, having watched all of his friends and fellow soldiers ground up in the face of certain death, having a similar reaction if he ran into a general out in town. Especially if that general felt proud of his "accomplishments" at the expense of so many of his fellow countrymen. Honestly, I thought the scene was well done for what it was.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #377 on: December 14, 2020, 08:17:25 PM »
I reckon Fett dies this week  :D
And Mando gets Slave 1...
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #378 on: December 14, 2020, 08:29:04 PM »
And Mando gets Slave 1...

Yup  :D

I reckon Fennec dies (again) as well so there's a clean slate for next season...
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #379 on: December 14, 2020, 09:45:13 PM »

By the way, I hate the name Grogu. Grogu sounds like a Gammorean name to me. It sounds oafish/lumpish. Not a fan of that choice. Being that the two other beings of this race that we know are Yoda and Yaddle, wouldn't it have made more sense to go with Yogu? After digging on the internet it would seem that others of this species are named Oteg, Minch and Vandar Tokare. Very inconsistent naming conventions all the way around.

[/quote]

Not sure about the inconsistency: it's similar to Yoda in being disyllabic with a long O as the first syllable. Of Yoda, Grogu and Yaddle, it's Yaddle that looks the odd one out to me.

And surely Grogu is closer to Yoda than Luke Skywalker is Obi Wan Kenobi or Dengar!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #380 on: December 14, 2020, 10:42:10 PM »

Not sure about the inconsistency: it's similar to Yoda in being disyllabic with a long O as the first syllable. Of Yoda, Grogu and Yaddle, it's Yaddle that looks the odd one out to me.

And surely Grogu is closer to Yoda than Luke Skywalker is Obi Wan Kenobi or Dengar!

Yoda and Yaddle both have the Y and the D going for them on top of being disyllabic. Dengar might make sense as a Yoda name. It is in the same realm as Grogu in terms of sounding like a clod. Dengar and Grogu sound like barbarian pit fighters in Conan, to me.  lol

But then you have Oteg (disyllabic), Minch (mono) and Vandar Tokare who... well, has a last name? Maybe he isn't famous enough to just be "Prince" or "Madonna?"  Vandar Tokare seemingly knows enough about where he comes from to understand his family lineage, it would seem.

I still don't care for Grogu as a name. I still think it is lazy that Yoda's people don't have lore when they feature rather prominently. I mean, I know about the Gammoreans and they really only feature as Rancor food in the grand scheme of things.

I was hoping that Mandalorian would establish where the homeworld was and return the child. I don't have much hope for that at this point, but I was thinking that would be awesome when Mando's quest first started.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #381 on: December 14, 2020, 11:11:15 PM »
Actually, I think Grogu's name is very clever; it is a cypher  if you like. All too often names in pop culture et cetera are descriptive  of the character (what if Darth Vader was called instead Cecil Fotheringham?), it allows the character to grow into the name,not vice versa.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #382 on: December 14, 2020, 11:41:23 PM »
Yoda and Yaddle both have the Y and the D going for them on top of being disyllabic.

Yes, but the 'swallowed' -le syllable is a bit different from the pattern in the other two names. All three have the stress on the first syllable, but Yoda and Grogu don't have the last syllable 'swallowed'. Yoda and Grogu sound like they could come from a language with similar phonemes to Japanese (it would have to be Gurogu in Japanese, but that first U would be 'swallowed').

Dengar might make sense as a Yoda name. It is in the same realm as Grogu in terms of sounding like a clod. Dengar and Grogu sound like barbarian pit fighters in Conan, to me.  lol

Maybe - but isn't Dengar the tougher-sounding one by far? That final U sound in Grogu has a sweet, cute or diminutive ring to it: think of Boo Boo (in Yogi Bear), Babu (in Bangla), Papou (in Greek) and Baloo (in The Jungle Book). I'd want to face a Grogu in a pit fight rather than a Dengar! ;)

But then you have Oteg (disyllabic), Minch (mono) and Vandar Tokare who... well, has a last name?

Yeah, none of those immediately sounds like it's from the same language as Yoda and Grogu, given the 'closed' syllables of Oteg, Minch and Vandar. The species could have several languages, of course; don't we see a human talking in a different language in the first episode of Season One? But Star Wars does tend to do that thing where planets have one biome and species one language.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #383 on: December 15, 2020, 03:35:35 AM »
My predictions:

- Moff Gideon dies

- another sabre v beskar spear fight

- New Republic intervenes

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #384 on: December 15, 2020, 06:04:35 AM »
.... saved by.....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 06:06:47 AM by Rick W. »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #385 on: December 15, 2020, 06:28:36 AM »
For some reason I’m itching to buy a Fine Molds Slave 1.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #386 on: December 15, 2020, 07:46:09 AM »
If they rescue Grogu, someone has to die or it would be too easy.

For non story reasons I could see Cara dying, to please some fan segments.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #387 on: December 15, 2020, 08:38:48 AM »
For some reason I’m itching to buy a Fine Molds Slave 1.

Do it!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #388 on: December 15, 2020, 08:48:18 AM »
"Henceforth you shall be known as Cecil Fotheringham."

"Arise Lord Fotheringham!"

Personally I like the name Grogu, it's grown on me. There's such a wide range of naming conventions in society today that it doesn't bother me that it's different from established little green guy names.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #389 on: December 15, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »
I like the name Grogu, too. Especially being a semi-pun on “grow” or even “grow good.”