Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:47:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686440
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions please....  (Read 2490 times)

Andrew_McGuire

Re: Suggestions please....
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 05:57:17 PM »
Very funny, yes I play bolt action.
But at least I have a smile on my face!

Sorry, but I couldn't resist it. I personally have nothing against BA, but then I've never played it. I also have a great deal of admiration for people who own up to enjoying it. Damn...I'm stopping there.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 06:03:39 PM »
Reference to Commando comics made me remember this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Stories-Vol-1-Tp-Avatar/dp/1592912389/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Garth+Ennis+War+stories&qid=1574186257&s=books&sr=1-2

which was partly inspired by them and others of their ilk. The author has also written other WWII-set series, which you will see suggested on the Amazon page. Good stuff.

BTW, you do know, I suppose, that there are ways of putting a smile on your face which don't entail losing your public credibility?  (I must assume your self respect went missing some time ago.)

Andrew_McGuire

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 08:55:07 PM »
I didn’t feel that I needed to attend Bolt Action Anonymous just yet, but now I’m starting to re consider?
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 09:11:51 PM »
Tim: " ...but I never knew that The Guns of Navarone was an actual book"

Yup, Alistair Maclean, one of my favorite authors as a young 'un.  There was a sequel called Force 10 from Navarone, as well - our heroes are parachuted into Yugoslavia to help the partisans.  Other Maclean novels set in WWII were Where Eagles Dare, H.M.S. Ulysses, and South by Java Head.

Just ordered the first Coward book to give it a try.  Fun thread!

-Michael

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 09:38:53 PM »
James Barrington has a series of three books so far featuring a character calked Eddie Dawson. To do or die, Right and Glory and Operation XD, set at the outbreak of the war up to Dunkirk. Some great scenario ideas up to platoon level IMHO.
JB

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 08:43:11 AM »
I used to enjoy the Leo Kessler books.

That was Charles Whiting’s pseudonym for his WWII fiction. I always thought it was an excellent marketing ploy to use a German name with that subliminal ‘SS’ in the middle of the surname.

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 08:56:30 AM »
I recently revisited my childhood and bought the compendium of King of the Commandos books by Capt W E Johns, he of Biggles fame, off Amazon. I hadn't seen them in over 45 years. Whilst they do sometimes veer slightly towards the ridiculous they are still a good light hearted read and brought nostalgic memories flooding back..

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 06:06:15 PM »
Oh, yes, I forgot the Garth Ennis/WOT series (Im too highbrow, obviously), they are very good - especially the Kursk set. There's also a separate series about a Sherman crew as well as a WOT Normandy set. They're all good though!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 07:37:21 PM »
Raymond Foxall's - Amateur Commandos. A true story so amazingly daft and brave that it feels more like a lost script for Dad's Army.
Two Army dental core soldiers who go awol to mount their own commando raid to occupied France.
The mad thing is it was successful. By sheer chance they became the diversion to a full commando raid on a radar station with out each party ever knowing the other was there.

It was made into a tv movie around 2002- 2003 called 'Two men went to War'(worth a peak if you camt find the book.)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 07:42:34 PM »
Evelyn Waugh's Sword of Honour trilogy; humour,sadness,and a vivid description of the last days on Crete (he was there). Some may say it's highbrow, it's not. A brilliant read.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2019, 04:19:31 PM »
I didn’t feel that I needed to attend Bolt Action Anonymous just yet, but now I’m starting to re consider?

I'm not familiar with your specific brand of pain, but I assure you I feel it. If BAA doesn't assuage it sufficiently, I'd like you to know there are people out there with the requisite compassion, people skills, and training to make you feel like a worthwhile human being (though I won't lie: it will take a lot of persistence on both sides). Link below:

https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/