Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:39:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685089
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sikh Workbench  (Read 55507 times)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Sikh Workbench
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2020, 06:48:46 AM »
Nice work Roger,enjoyed the blog review :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2020, 07:11:51 AM »
Hmmmm.
Not loving these at first sight, but thanks for the review, Roger - it’s informative.
A couple of the bodies look a little bit off to me, and some of the arms don’t seem to sit quite right.
Also, only five different figures in the set for £30? 8 identical sprues? It’s the cheap and cheerful Gripping Beast plastics approach. (Except they aren’t cheap).

If I wasn’t expecting the Perry Afghans, I guess these might be worth a dabble, but as it is...

The Perry Afghans will likely have around 12-14 different figures (if their previous colonial sets are anything to go by), many more arms / weapons / head options, will be infinitely better models, and will only cost £20 per box for the same number of figures...

On the whole, I think I’ll wait ;)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2020, 09:32:21 AM »
Thanks for the review, Roger. I'm with Captain Blood here, and I will wait for Perry Afghans too. I am not particularly fond of the poses.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2020, 07:53:18 PM »
Hmmmm.
Not loving these at first sight, but thanks for the review, Roger - it’s informative.
A couple of the bodies look a little bit off to me, and some of the arms don’t seem to sit quite right.
Also, only five different figures in the set for £30? 8 identical sprues? It’s the cheap and cheerful Gripping Beast plastics approach. (Except they aren’t cheap).

If I wasn’t expecting the Perry Afghans, I guess these might be worth a dabble, but as it is...

The Perry Afghans will likely have around 12-14 different figures (if their previous colonial sets are anything to go by), many more arms / weapons / head options, will be infinitely better models, and will only cost £20 per box for the same number of figures...

On the whole, I think I’ll wait ;)

The price for the Wargames Atlantic miniatures is £25 (more discounts if you buy more and free shipping) so a bit more expensive than the Perry sets.

Buy 3 Boxes for $95/£70
Buy 5 Boxes for $145/£105
Buy 10 Boxes for $265/£190

But you're right about the number of limited poses but think these will also prove interesting for a whole range of other settings with some converting.

The Perry's always set the bar very high but yes also very excited to see their new set. :)
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Online Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2020, 11:37:08 PM »
All fair points gentlemen. I have to be fair to Wargames Atlantic, part of why these look not so great is my modellign and choice of arms and weapon mixes for the bodies, they are however very short of the Perry standard. I have built another sprue I will share when they are finished soem are quite a bit better others less so. I have added a Sikh turbaned head to one which looks nice.

If I had seen them up close I might have just waited for the Perry ones (which I will still get) then again maybe I would have got them anyway. I will stick with them and they will be mixed in with Perry metal and plastic on the bases, taken as a whole on multi based units I think they will look OK.

In terms of cost you can get them for £25 in the UK (I just paid too much at £30) so thats £0.62 a figure, Perrys will be a box of 34 I thinkwhich is £0.59 great value for a nicer figure with, as Captain Blood points out, more than twice the choice of bodies. I completely get people will wait for Perry's, meanwhile I will continue to try get the best out of what I have bought.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2020, 11:11:23 AM »
All fair points gentlemen. I have to be fair to Wargames Atlantic, part of why these look not so great is my modellign and choice of arms and weapon mixes for the bodies, they are however very short of the Perry standard. I have built another sprue I will share when they are finished soem are quite a bit better others less so. I have added a Sikh turbaned head to one which looks nice.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them Roger.

Although not up to Perry standards (what is when it comes to plastics?) I'm very interested in seeing them up close.

Online Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2020, 01:34:02 PM »
Thanks, 2 of the poses I dont like as I do more the other three are fine. There are definately combinations of arms and heads that work and others that just dont. Getting that right is going to help a lot., will do more close ups on the next lot to help folks next sprue is built and primed with third one also started.

Watch this space.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »
Thanks, 2 of the poses I dont like as I do more the other three are fine. There are definately combinations of arms and heads that work and others that just dont. Getting that right is going to help a lot., will do more close ups on the next lot to help folks next sprue is built and primed with third one also started.

Watch this space.

Thanks  :)

Online Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2020, 11:59:52 AM »
A few mor Plastic Afghans, post to follow with a bunch more figures for the Sikh Wars project.

IMG_20200621_114240 by Roger Castle, on Flickr

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2020, 08:45:05 PM »
Thanks for the review, and your build photos, but it just reinforces what I saw in the earlier info on this release. As I say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you like these then go for them. However, they definitely aren't for me...and that would be the case even if Michael Perry hadn't done a box of plastics.

Online Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2020, 09:53:51 PM »
I saw that th Perry Afghans are comign in August so I will definately get a box of those too. I will probably paint all these Wargames Atlantic figures and then pick through which I want to keep and which I will part with.

Online Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »
So with the news that Foundry are releasing their Afghans in August and a bunch of metal Afghans coming in the post I have pretty much decided my plan of action.

I will of course buy at least one box of Perrys, build and paint them.

I will finish off the Wargames Atlantic ones.

My metaisl include a bunch of Studio miniatures afghans, quite nice but not as nice as Perrys, so plan is:

Build and paint the whole lot and only when they are all finished decide what I will keep and base, which fit together and which dont, so which can be mixed in units and then anythign I dont like can be sold on ebay as painted figures that will give me anywhere up to 200 afghans (Muslim Tribal irregulars as they wont actually be Afghans) thats 10 units , if I end up partign with 20 orven more it wont be a hardship. The heads, arms etc for the two lots of plastics may or may not be interchangable, I have a bunch of Sikh plastic heads but may get more so I can have at least 2 more battalions of Sikh irregulars.

Plenty to keep me busy.

Meanwhile I am working through the next battalion of Sepoys and the next one of Sikh regulars.

Online Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2020, 05:27:56 PM »
Latest based figures back from the basing department including these guys, more pictures and other stuff on the blog.

https://gapagnw.blogspot.com/2020/06/more-from-basing-department.html

IMG_20200614_144925 by Roger Castle, on Flickr

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »
Nice additions  8)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2020, 07:46:29 PM »
Excellent work by the basing department.
2024: B: 0; P: 43; 2023: B:77; P:37;