Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:54:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686617
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sikh Workbench  (Read 55703 times)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sikh Workbench
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2020, 05:15:56 PM »
Cheers guys, minor break now then starting on some Zambureks.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2020, 10:59:06 PM »
Great work on the new figures.
Also thanks for posting, I really enjoy what you paint.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2020, 07:58:04 PM »
Thanks very much Marine, I have a project update coming soon with lots of pictures of the collection so far.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2020, 11:18:54 PM »
Love seeing all your progress on this project.

One point, your Sikh Regular flag is totally inaccurate, as the regs only carried one primary standard (aside from the French Legion which carried another type). The British/HEIC captured quite a few of these during the war, along with loads of artillery, and brought them back to England as war trophies. Sadly today there are only a few left in good condition, and they are all in private hands. I have attached a couple of photos of the standard 'Raj's Colors' used by the Khalsa Raj regulars that were displayed by Christies' auctions. If you live near Lichfield Cathedral, they use to have two (2) of the 'Raj's Colors' on displayed, along with a black Akali flag. However, last I heard they were down for restoration, as they were falling apart.

FYI I have done extensive research on Sikh flags as part of my book project...so I do know all about this. :) Hopefully one day I will time enough to get the darn book all written up and out for publication. Perhaps during the next global pandemic!  lol

Hope this info helps.

Keep up the great work on this project Roger!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 11:22:46 PM by ARKOUDAKI »

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2020, 11:11:15 AM »
Hi Arkoudaki, thank you very much for that, its news to me to be honest. I have typically been using commercially available flags, my initial plan had been to use the virtual arm chair general sheets which have flgs broken down by brigade and are very nice.

So just to be clear you are sayign that for the regulars they all had a single flag exacly the same, much like British units if they only had the Kings colour?

If so its disapointing to find manufacturers not producign this. Studio Miniatures do a range of Sikh flags which include a couple looking liek this but are in a sheets of two where the second one would have to be discarded.

I know some Rajas had their own regular unifromed infantry regiments I assume these would have different flags?

This may need some thinkign about I feel. My next post is to be a review of the collection so far so apologies in advance the incorrect flags will need to be ignored for now.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2020, 03:05:38 PM »
Yes, all the regular Khalsa Raj units used the 'Raj/King's color' shown above. The exception was the French Legion, which used their own flag alongside the King's standard. The Akali used a black flag. The irregulars used a variety of things.

As for Studio Minis, I did try to work with them to get their flags correct but sadly they just weren't interested in accuracy, and didn't bother to do proper research and didn't pay attention to the info I provided to them.

As for Armchair General's flags, they are also completely made-up, and lacking any historical accuracy. In fact, many of them are more akin to Afghan standards than Sikh ones.

As for getting some proper flags done, I have been after Grahame at GMB for a long time to do this but he just doesn't have the time. GMB still makes the best flags on the market.

FYI, I will eventually commission a range from someone competent enough to do the artwork and pay attention to the research...but not sure when I will get around to this. Also working on making accurate 3D renders of the Sikh artillery.

If you have any further questions, feel free to IM me. :)

Like I said, enjoying your work so keep going! And don't worry too much about the flags, as if you like them then go for it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 03:10:25 PM by ARKOUDAKI »

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2020, 04:00:27 PM »
Good to know, for now one of my 5 units of regulars has the correct flag, food for thought on where I go from here.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2020, 10:57:43 PM »
Thinking a couple of this sheet might be my nearest option without wasting any flags.

https://www.studiominiatures.com/images/store/SWF003_th.jpg

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #173 on: July 20, 2020, 12:23:44 AM »
Well I hate to burst your bubble but these flags are the wrong size and shape and the pattern is incorrect. The top one is close to the actual pattern but has a number of problems. The one on the bottom is just made-up colors that never were used by the Sikhs. Best to just wait for some proper flags or make your own.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 12:26:16 AM by ARKOUDAKI »

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2020, 09:17:38 AM »
The figure in the second flag, is that Kali?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2020, 09:22:27 AM »
The figure in the second flag, is that Kali?

Extremely unlikely if the image is that of a Sikh banner. The One God as characterized bu Guru Nanak being the monotheistic Sikh deity .
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:24:13 AM by Atheling »

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2020, 09:55:50 AM »
Yes, I know.  Yet Kali did appear on some Sikh flags.  Or at least so we are told. Hence my question.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2020, 07:05:13 PM »
OK so whilst I want as much accuracy as possible putting flags off in definately untl correct ones are available isnt really an option i am happy with. If the top flag is near enough I can amend the bottom one with some yellow paint on the lines and detail.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2020, 09:05:11 PM »
OK so whilst I want as much accuracy as possible putting flags off in definately untl correct ones are available isnt really an option i am happy with. If the top flag is near enough I can amend the bottom one with some yellow paint on the lines and detail.

Probably a good decision mate as they might be colourless for a ling time and if push comes to shove you can always remove the flag and replace it with a ore accurate one if they are ever avalable.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2020, 10:00:07 AM »
Facing the same dilemma in 15mm I've decided to wait until the correct flags become available.  Until then my Khalsa battalions will carry the flags they have.  If the correct flags appear I'll replace them.