Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:44:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689635
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Project 1745  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: New Project 1745
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 12:40:48 AM »
Much appreciated. There are a lot of companies who have 1745 miniatures so any comparisons would be helpful.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 01:18:53 AM »
Plaid is the garment and tartan is the pattern. Would the plaid be in a tartan style? Yes it would as evidence shows that it widely used in with various patterns and colours.

Gold star to that laddie fer kennin' the difference the noo!
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »
Gold star to that laddie fer kennin' the difference the noo!

This is a great article on the designing of official tartans in the military. I always try to break the myths about tartan and kilts as much as a i can......Designed by an English man, tartan pre victorian times were not a thing etc.

https://www.scottishtartans.co.uk/78th_Regt_-_Fraser's_Highlanders_Tartan.pdf

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 12:46:48 PM »
It existed earlier and elsewhere; the English just seem to have imposed clan sets. As I write, I'm resting my shoulders against an antimacassar of tartan (nothing like a Scottish one) produced among the hill tribes of northern Thailand!

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »
It existed earlier and elsewhere; the English just seem to have imposed clan sets. As I write, I'm resting my shoulders against an antimacassar of tartan (nothing like a Scottish one) produced among the hill tribes of northern Thailand!

The 'English' didn't impose clan setts, they simply tried to catalogue and regularise, and occasionally make some up..  You would have had distinct regional weaving patterns and colours based on those available locally or reasonably available as an import, so each 'clan' or extended family group would tend to have similar patterns and colours. It's highly unlikely these ever achieved the level of uniformity possible with machine weaving.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »
The 'English' didn't impose clan setts, they simply tried to catalogue and regularise, and occasionally make some up..  You would have had distinct regional weaving patterns and colours based on those available locally or reasonably available as an import, so each 'clan' or extended family group would tend to have similar patterns and colours. It's highly unlikely these ever achieved the level of uniformity possible with machine weaving.

The English did not catalogue them either. The first to do it was William Wilson & Son of Bannockburn who started to number sets of Tartan. Highland Society of London then started to register clan tartans in 1815 but the Clans sent sets with many having no clue what they could consider their tartan. It's a falsehood and not part of Clan Heritage but it has become Scottish tradition. I bought a new Kilt last week and being of Clan Donald it was amazing the amount of options i had lol.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 01:44:54 PM »
Article in today's Scotsman about tartan that has been donated to the National Museum of Scotland. Sadly it's a pretty poor article as it doesn't tell us much or what the actual material was used for. It does allow us to see the type of pattern he had made for himself.

It does say it belonged to a John Moir but nothing on where he was from or the rank he held. It does mentions links with the Moir's which mostly means James Moir of Stoneywood who raised a Battalion in his native Aberdeenshire. This might mean John Moir was also from Aberdeenshire as it was a common name within the area and he possibly served in the Moir Stoneywood Battalion. Hopefully they will release more details soon.

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage/culloden-rare-tartan-worn-at-battle-gifted-to-nation-1-5048485

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 08:37:47 PM »
Interesting and the simplicity of this does lend itself to the 28mm figures we are painting.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk