Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:18:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691080
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Horror out of Novorossiya.  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
The Horror out of Novorossiya.
« on: July 10, 2009, 07:59:42 PM »
After finally getting my mitts on my very own copy of Strange Aeons I set out for a first-time game. Unfortunately my camera's batteries were MIA, depriving the chance for photographs. Hopefully that's not too huge of a turn off for you fine folk. :)

With my games table in storage (and it was too big anyhow) I claimed my collapsible picnic table as the location for my scenario to unfold.

The Setting

In an obscure location of the Russian Empire Bolshevik and Separatist forces converge, hungry for battle. However, both forces turn to look just seconds from clashing at the horrors spilling forth in a tide of darkness from the forest. With ease the great aberrations slay Reds and Blacks alike, decimating the temporarily allied factions.

The scenario I chose to play was "Escape... Into Danger". A decent starting point for my little trio of 'Threshold' characters.

Threshold

First up is the main character of the game, Trebek Klimek. In addition to his standard issue knife (we'll say it's the Russian equivalent to the bowie knife) and .45 pistol, Trebek comes fully loaded with a bolt-action rifle, his budyonovka (Lucky Hat), light armor vest, and a pair of tight boots. Being the commissar has its privileges. He also has the free skill 'Read Languages' in addition to his 'Command' skill.

Next is Ivan Makhno, a hardened veteran of the revolution (although he's just an agent game-wise). Alongside his knife and .45 pistol is another bolt-action rifle for the collection. Keeping frosty with his .45, Ivan utilizes the free skill 'Ambush'.

And Finally, fellow agent, Daneel Olivaw. Though not a soldier, he still packs a whallup. His pitchfork hopefully will kill more aberrations than haystacks. That sharp knife and .45 are just for looks... Hopefully not! His free skill increases his wounds by '1', thanks to a rough farming life.

Lurkers

Content with their assault on the military might of two forces, much of the lurkers returned to their domains with prisoners and sacrifices. Few linger to search the fallen and injured.

As our trio makes haste in distancing themselves from the valley they are confronted with a small party of lurkers. Four cultists with two clubs, a .22 pistol and a bolt-action rifle in their clutches take up position in an abandoned village. However, unknown to our trio, two scrawny ones await summoning.

Turn 1
In their willy nature the lurkers deploy first using the ruins of a building for cover while still being conveniently close to two of the pentacles. Having seen the activities of the cultists in the village our trio of intrepid comrades prepare their assault from a clearing nestled amidst the trees. But aghast! They were spotted allowing the cultists the first move. (Luck of the draw, eh? ;))

Armed with only a club and his wits, a cultist dashes through the ruined building coming two inches short of a pentacle!

Trebek orders the group forward while Ivan seizes the moment to advance then proceeds to take aim at the bumbling cultist through the foliage, but lacks the time to chamber a round for his rifle! Meanwhile, Daneel and Trebek approach the two outermost hovels of the village, but Trebek is lagging behind a little under the weight of his gear.

Turn 2
Without hesitation the cultist flings himself at the pentacle and proceeds to bask his own skull in with his cudgel. Blood and grey matter alike spatter the scene while Ivan watches, bemused.

His initial impression quickly changes however as an unholy aberration materializes. Finally his chance presents itself and the first shot echoes through the valley, but oh! He's missed! Trebek Klimek and Daneel press on forward hoping to get an angle on the other cultists.

Turn 3
A sole cultist emerges from the rubble setting his sights on the outmatched Daneel.

And Daneel, accepting his fate, charges blindly down the lane in an effort to get the cultist in range. But as it is, he stands too close to a pentacle, unknowing that the scrawny one could use the other to teleport there.

Turn 4
The cultist aims true scoring a wounding shot leaving Daneel with one left.

Yet in his haste, Daneel fires off two rounds from his .45, of which neither hit the crafty assailant. Things are looking grim...

Turn 5
Suprise! The scrawny one materializes from the pentacle and charges the unfortunate Russian. His resolve shines through as the situation quickly becomes mono et mono. The creature having grabbed his pitchfork, forces Daneel to free his knife from its sheath and is brutally mauled by the scrawny one rendering him unconscious.

Drawn by the commotion Trebek and Ivan press forward to investigate, but things have become eerily quiet...

Turn 6
Without hesitation the scrawny one snatches up the unconscious man, engulfing his upper half with its tentacled maw, pulling him in. Its appetite is matched only by how much saliva oozes forth, drenching its prey. Fat and sassy the thing buggers off after it becomes aware of Ivan and his rifle.

But his attention is drawn to the bespectacled cultist that had been watching the now not-so-scrawny one feed (who was also half an inch short of reacting), and takes aim... But misses!

Turn 7
Taking his chances, the other club wielding cultist breaks loose in a mad dash towards the other nearby pentacle. Ivan fires off a shot from his .45, but clearly hadn't aimed well as the bullet whizzed past the cultist's pointy hood!

And again he fires! Twice even! But again to no avail. Some veteran this man is, he's yet to hit anything! (Though I must admit I am a notorious member of the low-roller's club)

Turn 8
Clunk, clunk, smoosh! Goes the cultist's head as he wildly bashes his own face in, and another scrawny one flickers into existence licking clean the blood offering.

For fear of more wasted ammo Ivan breaks for cover in an effort to hide from the cultist's rifle. A bullet rings past ricocheting off a nearby tree. Could there be someone in the house still?

Turn 9
Chambering a round, the cultist fires another shot at our supposed veteran. Just grazing his flesh, the bullet seems to have not hurt our man, all fleet of foot. It'll make for an interesting scar.

But then again, maybe it did hurt him. Turning on a dime, chambering a round then unleashing it, Ivan scored a critical hit blowing a nice hole through the cultist's head dropping him to the ground like a rag doll.

Turn 10
While Ivan smash-talked his defeated opponent the newer scrawny one used the pentacles to sneak up behind the unsuspecting soldier. But before all seemed lost, he blindly spun around and countered the hideous creature's assault. Each eyed the other.

In a heroic lunge, Ivan flung himself at the beast slashing its throat and belly open disgorging a fountain of blood and intestines. Cleaning his blade, he has proved his worth.

Turn 11
The remaining cultist takes a snapshot from the doorway of the ruined house missing Ivan with his weak-sauce .22 pistol. Things aren't looking good for this man, with the remaining scrawny one elsewhere rubbing its belly contently.

Wanting to save his precious rifle ammo (actually, not really), Ivan fires at his attacker still peeping around the door frame with his .45 leaving a nice chip in the stone wall of the building. Sensing his bad position Ivan buggers off into the brush. No sense being exposed!

Turn 12
But despite his efforts, the cultist wanders around to the other opening, leaving Ivan exposed and in the open.

Seizing the moment, intrepid Trebek Klimek storms through the foliage towards the lurkers' table edge. There's at least another turn's slog for him yet!

Turn 13
Caught unaware of his assailant, Ivan is gunned down by the cultist's .22 scoring two hits, only one of which caused a wound leaving Ivan on the ground with a minor injury. Maybe next time buddy! (Seriously... a .22 in the hands of a mongrel brought you down, but a hideous aberration couldn't?)

Trebek Klimek becomes monstrous and red with rage as he works himself into a frenzy! "You've killed them all, prepare to DIE! AARGHHH!!" He screams turning away from the exit to fling himself towards the cultist around the other side of the farm house.

Turn 14
With bloated belly bouncing, the not-so-scrawny one emerges from the fenced yard across the lane heading for the enraged Trebek. Will gluttony have its price?

With no thought or logic, Trebek charges the bloated scrawny one, but damn are those boots tight! And in turn is saved from the creature's claws thanks to none other than his lucky hat. Reacting, the cultist fires his .22 bypassing Trebek's armor scoring a wound.

Turn 15
Still hungry for more, the scrawny one goes in for another swing while the cultist is fumbling around with another magazine in the background. Despite its efforts Trebek counters its attacks with ease.

In a heroic effort, Trebek quickly fires off a round from his .45 nailing the cultist dead in the heart after delivering 5 fatal wounds (all 6's! :o ) to the scrawny one, rupturing its stomach, spilling the mushy remains of Daneel on the ground as it crumpled.

Post-Game

Having won my first game, one Threshold personality is allotted one skill at the expense of 1BP. Though only intrepid Trebek Klimek is eligible for this being the only one still standing. Based on his heroic gun skills, I've decided to award him with 'Lightning Fast' which will allow him to ignore the need for ready actions when using his rifle. One thing though, does this mean I must spend one less base point on my Threshold party now? Mike?

The Outcome

I need another greeny, or I could keep this party, now duo, and see how long they last. Which would tie in with the story more. And I had rolled a measly '3' in the treasure hunting phase meaning no map pieces for me!

The system is good. Straight forward, but with an edge. The character and agents are strong, but not invincible even with a lucky hat! The game report was a bit lengthy, and lacked pictures, but I hope those who stayed and read enjoyed it. I know this story-telling angle doesn't elaborate on the game mechanics, but I wrote it in a way that those who are familiar with the rules could imagine the dice rolls and criticals while still being able to read the adventure as it unfolds. If it seems I was a bit descriptive with the details, then I must say, that's too bad. Eldritch horror skirmish games aren't supposed to have weak-sauce events!

Also, Humaniform robots shouldn't be that appealing to digestive tracts. ( ;) :o)

All in all, it was a joy to play. Maybe the future will hold more stories to share.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Breten

• Librarian
    • Calgary Gaming Forum
Re: The Horror out of Novorossiya.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »
I absolutely love the Battle Report.  Fantastic.   :D

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:36:07 PM »
Brilliant-  :D
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »
Great game report! Looks like you did everything right and the good guys squeek by with a victory. Now that your Character has a new skill his Base Points will go from 5 to 6. You may still re-equip to the 15 BP maximum, but in time it will be harder to get back-up and you may need to use Special Agents where before you could simply hire a new Agent. Great stuff...can't wait for the sequal!!!  :-*

Glad you like the game.  :)

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »
Great work with the "Threshold De-Briefing" aka battle report.  Sounds like it was lots of fun!!
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:02:44 AM »
Hi I'm not familar with this system but I had no trouble following the story. And what a story! Sounds like a great game. I can't wait to read the next one.

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:06:44 AM »
Thanks for the AAR.  Sounds like a really fun game.  I'll have to check it out now.  :D

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:23:20 AM »
The game sounds awesome. Do you have pictures to go with your well written game report??
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 07:01:15 PM »
Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed it! It sure was fun, and a joy to see situations slowly degrade then turn out good just when all hope seemed lost. Also, I was having a little GM fun by doing some story-telling moments in the game. An example was when poor Daneel couldn't use his far superior pitchfork because the Scrawny One took a hold of the end. He might have actually pulled through if I wasn't so mean >:D .

To answer your question, Hitman, I'm afraid I do not. Some fiendish character swiped my camera's batteries some where down the road depriving me of the chance. Though if I did you'd just get to see the very dim (and cold) interior of my basement bedroom and more proxies than you could shake a pitchfork at lol.

I didn't have terrain suitable for the game so I relied on a few rather old space colony buildings from a long-lost project of mine that at least had a setup suitable for a small village. Two domes of subterranean housing with lots of "belongings" (the home-owners' crud) nestled around made up the outermost hovels, a two-story building with an interior (which was never entered in-game) had a nice fenced in yard with two openings served as the route Daneel had taken and where the scrawny one eventually went to avoid the range of Ivan's rifle, and the remains of a small two story "luxury" home served as the destroyed house the cultists used to guard their table edge.

Also, we're going to stick with the now duo and make this the Super Budyonovka Challenge!. No permanent members can be added, however special agents can be hired if sufficient map pieces are available, and the aim is to see how long I last. Heavy equipment, here we come. Though 3" moving distance would suck hardcore! I'll keep you guys updated as I go; in this thread more than likely.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:24:18 PM »
Yes please do. I'd love to see how far this duo gets. But please trhough in a picture or two next time. We'll for give you the proxies.  ;)