Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:21:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm AWI Action - the Battle of Short on Hills  (Read 1243 times)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
15mm AWI Action - the Battle of Short on Hills
« on: November 22, 2019, 01:17:44 AM »
Hi All,

Just some pictures from the game today, from a project that's been a long time making it to the table.

The game was inspired by a 'what-if' the Continental forces from Morristown would have come out in force to meet Knyphausen's raid into New Jersey in 1780.  The game was played by seven players involving three Patriot contingents against four Royalist Brigades. 

Here's some shots taken in sequence (and so I can get away with not writing up a real AAR).  :D

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 15mm AWI Action - the Battle of Short on Hills
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 02:15:06 AM »
Well, I guess we can let you get await with not writing up a battle report but I'm not so sure we can let you get away with not providing an order of battle!  No, I'm serious, really I am!   lol

Looks good.  That white buildings looks massive, though - what is it?

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 05:50:29 AM »
Lovely table, I am taking some ideas from that to improve my own layout.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 12:32:40 PM »
Big battle R&P impressive.  Did it give you a good game?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 12:48:15 PM »
Looks great  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 01:39:26 PM »
Thanks Guys!

15sAway - that's an Old Glory Blue Moon building from their 'Sleepy Hollow' series (they may have these 18mm buildings listed under some related-sounding category now instead).

OB, we're tweaking the activation mechanics a bit for the second running of the scenario, and I'll be placing the initial Brigade positions more deployed for battle, rather than having the majority of the units arriving, and marching up to contact. 

I wanted to present that aspect of "Armies Meeting", and allow the players to shake out their lines with some sort of battle plan evolving, but the consensus post-game was that this was less interesting to actually getting the main lines engaged and having the fighting commence.

I didn't regret seeing the battle evolve from the march though, as it unfolded plausibly as I watched it (I moderated), but with this being put on at a public venue, we have around four hours to get the primary gaming action resolved.  Too, I'm not sure having more time for the initial, lower intensity combat to occur, justifies players waiting as they maneuver up for the main show to begin - it's almost as if the advance guard skirmishing should be separated out for another scale (for 28mm skirmishing  - which I've done), and have the main engagement played alone.

So I'll be tweaking the setup for playing this again in a few days. 

Offline wds0855

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 07:08:18 PM »
Gorgeous game indeed!  But I have to say also, that building looks HUGE. Maybe it is just the perspective of the photo?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 06:56:28 AM »
Bluemoon makes sense, their buildings tend on the large size.  Nice buildings and good for skirmishing but big - easily useable in 20 mm, maybe even 25 mm for some folks where downscale buildings fit the game.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »
The first move to round bases for the 15s was to make enough converted to single stands, for trying out Muskets & Tomahawks as written for skirmishing.  The Blue Moon buildings (and Mini Building Authority) with their open tops and interiors allowed for good occupancy if needed in small scenarios.

Now the entire AWI collection has been remounted onto multiple stands for larger engagements - so the still nice buildings, although they don't seem to present a habitat area as much as say a handful of multiple 10mm buildings would - they still compliment the other terrain well (and I've got too much invested in them to switch out now).  ;)