Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:07:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Miniatures, models and games for young people.  (Read 560 times)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Miniatures, models and games for young people.
« on: November 30, 2019, 04:08:03 PM »
There's a few folks on here who will know I run a sort of collection scheme thing for young people. I don't really like linking elsewhere on here too much in case of coming across as trying to drive views or posts elsewhere. However, I have done a generic sort of update thanking recent donations of unwanted miniatures and model kits. I'll share that in a moment. For those of you unaware of the story, you can trace it back by clicking the link in the piece to the original blog post I wrote that I think links to the origins and explains things a bit.

However, a quick summary is thus. I have been working in local authority children's homes for 12+ years now. I never took wargaming to work, but one young chap skipped college one day and with some rather savvy interrogation skills I found out he had instead spent it in GW. I made a deal that I would give him some of my spare miniatures to get him going if he didn't bunk again - offer duly accepted. From that point on, more kids wanted to have a go, I reached out to the fantastic community we have and as they say, one thing after another...

Since then, many, many, many donations of stuff have seen youngsters I work with building and painting miniatures. As many of you know it can be calming and relaxing whilst also offer them achievable targets and so give a sense of reward as well as then playing games. It grew outwards, with other staff telling me about youngsters at their homes resulting in model kits being sent their way.

More recently a friendly chap on here approached us all with a similar situation, only based in a school for youngsters that have struggled in mainstream schooling. So it only seemed right that I sent a supply package to them as well. Thanks to JoeM they had a fair amount of Frostgrave models to get going with that as well as some bits and pieces to supplement the games they already played.

But I also wanted to say thanks because a number of people on here have recently contacted me to donate more unwanted pieces to me. So, thanks to all of you that have done so, I have gone into a bit more detail in the latest blog post - but you are all totally awesome folks, thanks!  :-*

https://poisonspurs.blogspot.com/2019/11/models-and-kits-for-kids-continued.html
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus