Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:33:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686490
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Another Spaceship Project  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Re: Another Spaceship Project
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 06:19:47 AM »
Yea, good points on the pizza boxes.  Should be able to get lots of those.

Have to spend a little cash for the Taco Bell containers though.

I am thinking about tacking down, either permanently, or semi-permanently, workstations/desks, and other large objects (command chair, perhaps).  Might make sense to do that with the bridge's tactical view-screen too.

For smaller chairs, may leave those loose, since they might get knocked over, or used by characters in a melee, so I can see a rationale for those getting knocked about.

Found another great, pre-formed, bridge and/or hull section.  This one comes ready-made with small divets already molded into the plastic, for a nice textural look.  Looks quite a bit like the blue deck shown above, but completely molded in black plastic, like the Taco Bell container too.

Will post a few pics tomorrow, once I've had a chance to clean it up.

I'll be using the McDonald's, Big Breakfast, plastic food container for a more rectangular shaped deck.  It comes with a clear plastic container lid, so might also make a nice hydronponics room, or other similar one where you want sunlight to hit it.  Just need to cut away, or cover up the big "M" in the middle of the clear plastic lid for that one. 

Not sure, but with the lid on, it might still be possible to use this with 15mm/18mm tall, and smaller  figures, low plants, etc., for a nice visual effect.  Of course that will have to be removed in order to permit access to the minis.

You can probably use it completely black, as is, or drybrush silver/aluminum, or other metallic colors, and leave the divets black, for effect.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 02:17:44 PM »
The cost of buying Taco Bell is paid in the bathroom lol

I think your plan sounds like a good one. Nothing left to do but start playing around with it. Also, remember that spraying the cardboard boxes will make them "fuzzy." If (when) you are going to paint them up you will be better off doing it by hand.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 01:09:02 AM »
Good point on painting the cardboard.  May just need to apply paper "skins" to it instead, then.

Here are some pics of the McDonald's Breakfast Tray.  I notice the pattern on the bottom isn't consistent on this one, so will need to check others to see if this is just a fluke, or if they're all that way.  Not a huge deal, but the divets would be nicer if they were consistent across the bottom. 

I guess if not, that can always be covered up by furniture, or other things, if desired.

The dimensions of the usable floor interior are: 8.75" x 5.75", and the bottom black tray sides are about 5/8" high.  The clear lid that goes over top easily clears a 32mm tall figure, and the clearance is about 1.75" from tray floor to the bottom of the lid.

This hydroponics section is a little small, for 32mm figs, but is still usable as you'll see, especially if you connect a series of them together in some way, to represent different sections of a much larger hydroponics area.  You could also add in a small beach, some water, and some sunbathers too, if desired - might do that for my SHADO/UFO game(s), since who doesn't want to see Moonbase girls in bikinis, on the beach?

I think these hydroponics sections would be superb for 15mm/18mm troops, since they'd be a bit larger and more impressive with them inside.

Also, I've had a possible re-think on getting rid of the clear top "M" logo.  I'm going to claim it is really a "W" for the Weyland Corporation, before their merger with Yutani, which formed the far more infamous "Weyland Yutani Corporation".

At least until I can come up with some other "M" names too.

Without further ado, here's a pic of the McD's Big Breakfast Tray, with a pair of 32mm Star Trek Clix figs, sans their overly large clicky bases.  They look a lot more impressive in the photos than the much smaller, 15mm/18mm figures, for demo purposes.

Now, to make some hydroponics lab terrain, and some 25mm - 32mm furniture and chairs.  Need to start filling up these hull sections, stat.

On the plus side, at least I have a head start on the 15mm/18mm stuff, since I've come up with some chairs, G-Accel. Couches, tables, etc..  Just need to paint up some of the smaller minis, when time permits.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:17:21 AM by Mako »

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 01:11:40 AM »
Side above view, and view with clear lid on top too, showing the large "Weyland" logo.

Apologies for the bright white flash, but it's dark outside, and in the house.  Hopefully, it doesn't detract too much.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 03:37:48 PM »
I think I'd be tempted to just cover the whole M and turn it into an overhead air handling/irrigation system (really, just greeblies on the outside as I can't see a reason to try and do any work on the downward facing portion of terrain). Plus, the "bubble" may look more attached to the ship if it has some elements that draw the ship design in, beyond the floors. It might be interesting to mount this piece inside the pizza box, with a cutout on the box lid so that when the box is closed the bubble feels like it rests inside the ship as well as projecting out. Then you could also potentially cut the ends off to create doorways. Just a design thought. If multiple McBreakfast platters fit inside a pizza box then you could have a series of bubble gardens, which would also be pretty cool.