Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:44:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Daftest Africa - Pulp Alley ordered!  (Read 62640 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Daftest Africa! - mud huts
« Reply #375 on: May 20, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »
Thanks for the heads up….but being in the US difficult  postage.

Anyway, back from my jolly, so time to have a go at these mud huts.  Cereal packet roof cones added.   I picked up a half price fleece throw in Wilco so I will try to make th3 roof thatch from that.

First up I need to texture the walls….

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #376 on: May 20, 2022, 10:09:01 AM »
Anyway, back from my jolly, so time to have a go at these mud huts.  Cereal packet roof cones added.   I picked up a half price fleece throw in Wilco so I will try to make th3 roof thatch from that.

First up I need to texture the walls….

Very good progress - I did very much the same thing with my huts, here is my approach: http://tableterror.blogspot.com/2019/03/congo-clay-huts-lehmhutten.html

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #377 on: May 20, 2022, 12:43:19 PM »
I like those….very feral!

WIP shot…tempted to leave them like this….cute fluffy houses! Lol

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #378 on: May 20, 2022, 11:15:56 PM »
"Cute fluffy houses?"  In Daftest Africa?  Shouldn't they be foreboding and sinister - except for why are those colorful birds at peace, and what about that pangolin with no fear of people roaming about, and the monkeys don't seem afraid, either?  Very strange.  And a little more than mildly disturbing. And, seriously, what about that pile of bones back aways, really, really big bones.  What sort of an elephant has bones that big!?

;) :D ;D :o

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #379 on: May 21, 2022, 06:41:31 AM »
More cracking work  8)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #380 on: May 21, 2022, 08:02:16 AM »
You are right….no place for cute and fluffy!

Ok, so my first attempt at thatching…..I suspect I have a bit to learn! Lol

Anyway, they will do for one tribe at least….I will probably buy some Zulu type huts at some stage too to give me an alternate village.

Will have a go at painting tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I find myself cursing incessantly as I TRY to make the start of a treacherous log rope bridge!  I now understand why I could NEVER model tall ships! 🥴

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Daftest Africa! - rope bridge
« Reply #381 on: May 21, 2022, 09:28:40 AM »
Ok, the trickiest part (I hope) is done!

It would have helped if I’d started with a plan….but the start is always the hardest part!

There would have been FAR too many knots for my fat fingers to deal with, so using dabs of superglue was the way to go.   Wax thread, very useful if you’ve not come across it.  I’m tying in lots of random knots now to tighten certain bits and give it a more rustic / heath robinson finish….

Now to figure out how to suspend it and make some rope hand rails….

Edit:

Ok, making the base ends was pretty straight forward.  I had some heavy coasters that will add stability to it.   Once I’ve roped it all up, I will disguise the bases with a little foliage.

If you are wondering about the twigs….I got the idea for them from Flatpack…they are sold in bags at Hobbycraft and are really rather useful.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 10:44:24 AM by Digits »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #382 on: May 21, 2022, 01:05:53 PM »
A thought for you, maybe a little late but just in case: if you reverse the bases - not the supports, those would have to be reversed - then you can abut the flat elements to other bits of terrain.  The flat edge abutting the bridge seems wrong being so straight.  Though maybe you plan to adjust with terrain below the level of the coaster bits. 

Another project I am working on, at a slower pace than you, is a rope bridge for my mid-July pirate game, probably a three span bridge, one from each village to a central island with the third space to another island with the local deity statute on it.  A little easier to have so much in my chosen size.

You think you had a bought of colorful metaphors on your rope bridge project, image what color I shall turn the air doing it in 15 mm!?  :o
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 05:38:14 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #383 on: May 21, 2022, 08:00:08 PM »
For 15mm I’d be inclined to use some of the Renedra fencing (a small piece can be seen in the above picture) the plastic rail under it can be disguised with the rope work but it would make your life a lot simpler.  I was going to use it for this but my 25mm bases wouldn’t sit right on it!

Anyway…more progress tonight….nearly there…just needs the zig zag support work on the other side then tightening up on this side to make them even.  Finally I will break a log in the middle to make it look there is a little peril in crossing.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 08:16:00 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #384 on: May 21, 2022, 11:51:48 PM »
Et voila!  Ready for painting….

And this is what I meant about the Renedra fencing……I chose the hardest side as it’s the “bottom of the fence” but do this both sides and it sufficiently masks the underside rails.   Quick and passable plank rope bridge me thinks….

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #385 on: May 22, 2022, 06:02:47 AM »
David, the trouble with building a nice rope bridge is...
now you've got to build an enormous  chasm to go with it!  lol lol lol

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #386 on: May 22, 2022, 06:15:48 AM »
Yup, I’m aware there is a small omission here…..it seemed like a good idea at the time! Lol

A river system is missing from all my games as I have yet to find a suitable way of representing one that doesn’t scare me.  That is on the cards to do for sure.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Daftest Africa! - mud huts finished
« Reply #387 on: May 22, 2022, 11:31:38 AM »
Painted mud huts.  I will pop in a few “curtain doors” eventually but these are done! 

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #388 on: May 22, 2022, 11:54:14 AM »
Gorgeous job on those huts - but not sure what to make of the 'seventh' build in the photo?!  ;). Will look forward to seeing them in-situ with whatever you add to provide that essential 'lived-in' look - or maybe 'deserted out of' look.

Thanks for the demo with Renedra fence into bridge photo.  It is an idea to ponder but not sure it will get me to where I am going - need to span an 8" wide space, at least that is the current thought.  Also need at least a 1 1/2" width to accommodate my base widths of 1".  May seem awfully wide but I 'see' it in my minds eye working out.

Rivers need not be too scary.  My go to for making water is acrylic gloss medium which can be tinted with acrylic paints to add some color - above prepainting the base of the river, whatever material it may be, doing so is essential for adding depth, even for shallows.  It is even possible to add some small details inside the gloss medium.  I usually do several layers to help get the color and the sense of depth.  It is also easy to clean and easy to freshen up even years later by just adding a layer of clear gloss, hunt about and you can find higher gloss finishes.  A good art store is your friend. 

Here is a link to a long river I made for a friend's game showing the process: http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/2013/03/kipaji-mto.html. With your artistic skills, I'm sure you can do a better job.  And, obviously, you won't need such a massive length of river so won't be so rushed to get it done as I was with a convention deadline.  Looked even better in person than in the photos (alas, friend did not store it properly so not sure if it is still useable - hazards of summers that get north 0f 110 degrees fahrenheit and garages that get another 10 or more degrees hotter).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 12:04:47 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #389 on: May 22, 2022, 12:13:21 PM »
Cheers…..however I do it, I’ve decided taught varnish is my way forward me thinks.

As for lived in….I need to add curtain doors, get hold of some earthenware pots, and maybe add the odd juju doll to ward off spirits.  A few bits of animal life too….