Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:41:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15 mm AWI project  (Read 839 times)

Offline oberdu

• Student
15 mm AWI project
« on: November 28, 2019, 08:05:30 PM »
I just posted some pics of my nearly complete 8 division 15 mm AWI project you can view it here

https://chuckazulu.blogspot.com/

Here's a few shots

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:18:07 PM by oberdu »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 15 mm AWI project
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 10:31:40 PM »
Love it. 

You are way ahead of me in the painting department but, one day, I may be well ahead of you in the quantity department (well, probably there already, but I mean painted figures  ;)).  I have all I expect to purchase for my 15 mm AWI that amasses over 200 battalions of foot, mostly at 18 figures each, some at 24 figures each.  I have 20 regiments of cavalry at 12 figures each with dismounts and horse holders for all regiments and way more artillery than I'll ever need.  And plenty of generals.  Plenty of casualties for all arms, some civilians, some scouting units, and various and sundry bits and pieces.

Where are you sourcing your buildings for the AWI?  That is one area I might be able justify adding to my collection.  Though I am partial to resin and don't care much for MDF.

My primary source was Musket Miniatures for infantry, Freikorps  for cavalry but Peter Pig, Polly Oliver, Minifigs and others are all represented - not sure if I have any AWI Essex but do have plenty of their FIW.

Offline oberdu

• Student
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 05:08:32 AM »
Crikey!! That seems to be almost a 1 to 1 scale with all those units... lol I have also alot of Musket miniatures artillery  and dead. The building question for the most part I have alot of 15 mm resin building one MDF a friend gave me( I dont like mdf either) and I have 3 or 4 old little mini shops plaster building closer to 10 mm scale I bought when 1st Edition Johnny Reb came out. i make my own fences fields and such and am working on some trails in silicone and creeks. I do need to make more swamps for the Carolinas and finally make some Spanish moss trees

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »
Yup, it is a LOT of figures and only in the beginning stages of getting painted, starting with cavalry.  But the collection divides into Northern, Central, and Southern theater - sort of.  I actually intend to fight a lot more hypothetical than historical events, probably run some sort of informal fictional campaign in the sense of linking one game to the next.  For the Americans, there are Continental Line, Additional Continentals, Extra Continentals, Legionary Corps, and Militia - plus the French and Spanish allies (yes, Spanish troops in my collection).  For the British, there are the Regulars, Guard, Highlanders, Grenadiers, and Lights - and the Burgoyne specific troops - and their Legionary Corps, the German Mercenary allies, and the Loyalists. 

Part of the reason for so much cavalry is besides using these for AWI games, I also plan to run Seven Years War style games with these figures because I like that period but don't want to build another set of armies.  Between brown and blue coated continentals, green coated loyalists, the French and Spanish in white, and the British in red, I can field several faux armies for the period - when they aren't fulfilling their AWI roles.  Heck, even the militia and legionary corps might be in the mix representing light units.

AWI is my favorite period, with Old West a very close second, followed by colonials.  So, yeah, a bit over the top in numbers; I'm pretty sure counting everything, I have over 5,000 pieces in my AWI miniature collection (a piece = man (or woman, civilians), horse, or piece of equipment (gun, limber, cart or wagon), casualty figure).  Heck, someday they may all actually be painted.  That IS the goal.