Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690735
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Panting advice for 15mm ww2  (Read 870 times)

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Panting advice for 15mm ww2
« on: November 29, 2019, 05:22:49 PM »
I have pretty much been nothing but a fantasy painter/wargaming (apart from a couple of various airfix/tamyia kits) ever since getting into the hobby so many years ago now. I won a raffle last year and I won a rather decent prize of various kits of the PSC range.

I'd like to paint them but I'm finding it hard to find much on the way of guides online, is there a decent colour guide for uniforms etc online or perhaps in books or PDFs. Are the colour guides on the back of the PSC boxes pretty much the paints I should order? I'd like to chuck an order in this weekend as my local is offering a discount and I'd like to start fresh with colours as close to 'correct' as I can, as I'm used to just sticking any old colours on models! I have quite a few various kits but likely to start with either the early German infantry or the late English infantry as I got a box of each and they will give me a good feel for painting the scale.  I'll mostly be using vallejo, as I already use them and they easiest for me to get.

Also there are no bases in the PSC kits. I did toy with the idea of getting them done to try flames of war, but researching into the game it seems a little too much like 40k/games workshop, not in rules as such but how the game as a whole is managed & looks. I just don't have room in my hobby games like that any more.

Is there a basing standard for 15mm that looks good for display and has the potential for gaming with if I did choose to pursue a game in the future. ( did see some people base them individually for 15mm bolt action)

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Panting advice for 15mm ww2
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 07:08:12 PM »
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 11:32:28 PM »
I base my 15mm figures individually on 12.5mm or 16mm steel washers, and team weapons like mortars or MG on 22mm washers.

I use magnetic sabot bases for ease of movement until I need to separate the figures out individually, and I also have a bunch of sabot bases the right size for FOW on the very small chance that I'll ever play that again.

http://mojobob.blogspot.com/2018/11/sabot-bases-for-15mm-infantry.html

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »
Some of the very best free stuff I've ever encountered are here: http://cracdeschevaliers.blogspot.com/p/painting-guides.html

Offline MikeRC97

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 02:26:06 AM »
I used the painting guides on the Flames of War website and from the Artizan guides found here:

https://www.artizandesigns.com/painting-guides.php

remember to lighten your colors for the scale effect, for example Vallejo German Fieldgrey 830 is the right shade for 1/35 scale figures but too dark for 15mm.