Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:41:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's fantasy projects - We need axes 17/3  (Read 128634 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Varangians as Oathmark Linebreakers 19/3
« Reply #555 on: March 19, 2022, 06:40:33 PM »
Well, they look fething stunning. I was so close to picking these up recently - you might make me go back and buy them after all. Really good work on the furs in particular. Super inspiring as ever.

And (since I'm here) - sounds like the answer is 'yes', but have you found Bannerlord worth it generally over its predecessor Warband? I heard it had a buggy start but is somewhat better now?
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #556 on: March 19, 2022, 06:44:43 PM »
Well, they look fething stunning. I was so close to picking these up recently - you might make me go back and buy them after all. Really good work on the furs in particular. Super inspiring as ever.

And (since I'm here) - sounds like the answer is 'yes', but have you found Bannerlord worth it generally over its predecessor Warband? I heard it had a buggy start but is somewhat better now?

I never played Warband, I picked up Bannerlord on the strength of a let's play after the most recent large patch, which seems to have sorted out a number of old issues. I've not had any major bugs at all, and have put in over 100 hours so far.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #557 on: March 19, 2022, 07:12:06 PM »
It’s a shame that the Fireforge Varangians are a chore to assemble, but you certainly got them to look good! The unit looks suitably intimidating!  I’m looking forward to seeing them painted.

Offline Askellad

• Scientist
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - I guess there are spiders in this forest 19/2
« Reply #558 on: March 21, 2022, 05:52:06 PM »
This was a little spur of the moment decision, and had I known Sludge Nations would release the same week (check my black powder log) I would probably have held of this purchase. Still, here we are. I have been playing a lot of Mount & Blade Bannerlord, and loving it's low fantasy dark age style setting. The different civilizations are all quite cool and I love that they step away from having the english/french analogue as the central realm. Instead the three large kingdoms that remain from an older empire are decidedly Byzantine in style. There's also a realm with very strong Rus vibes.

The game's title screen looks like this and I think it is a great look:

So I ended up buying 20 varangian guard one late night with the idea of using them as Linebreakers for my Kingdom of the Black Duns for Oathmark. I ended up grabbing Fireforge's pack of 12, a pack of 4 from V&V miniatures and a pack of 4 from Stronghold Terrain. V&V are definitely the best sculpts of these, while Fireforge frustrated me the most with trying to match up the four point connections on their models. Still, at less than half the price per model compared to the other two, I can't complain too much.

I decided to model these completely sans shields as Oathmark Linebreakers lack the shielding ability. In the end, two models needed to get shields anyway as I only had left arms with shield straps left (a result of wonky design from Fireforge, but their kit does come with the option of either dane axes or shield + spear, so at least I had some arms I could use). I also used Victrix scabards as I prefer their design compared to what came with most of the models.

Really happy with the banner mirroring the title screen above:

V&V:

Stronghold:

Fireforge:

What do you think?

Bannerlord is the way! Playing M&B from the beginning ans still playin'
I have planned to paint my early byzantine army with colors from bannerlord's Empire faction

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #559 on: March 23, 2022, 11:30:48 PM »
Woah, I totally missed Bannerlord releasing! Great work on those linebreakers.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #560 on: March 23, 2022, 11:38:16 PM »
I have put in over 100 hours so far.

That's all the endorsement I need  lol

Offline Askellad

• Scientist
« Reply #561 on: March 26, 2022, 11:25:04 AM »
;)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #562 on: April 18, 2022, 12:24:22 PM »
Another small update for the Kingdom of the Black Duns. I got two bags of Victrix norman cavalry on release, and plan to use them for a Rohan-inspired Saga Age of Magic force. The kit has a lot of nice little bits and pieces, and one of them are these heads with faceplates. Quite liked the look of these, and also happened to see a bit of Bannerlord artwork with that exact helm on a warrior wearing a fur shoulderpiece. I decided to go back and modify my heavy cavalry, taking of their Teutonic style great helms and replacing them with the norman helms with face plates. I think this brings them nicely in line with the other dark age heads in the army.

What do you think?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - New heads on old cavalry 18/4
« Reply #563 on: April 18, 2022, 03:59:53 PM »
Looking good, as usual mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - I guess there are spiders in this forest 19/2
« Reply #564 on: April 18, 2022, 11:06:50 PM »

What do you think?

I think this unit looks f*cking amazing!

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #565 on: April 19, 2022, 07:31:51 PM »
I loved that unit before with the Teutonic look, but the new one works really well (and definitely matches the slightly more Dark Ages feel of the force). I'm about to do similar to my cavalry units and replace some of the older helms with 3D printed versions which look much better, so glad to know I'm not the only one revisiting past completions :)

Looking forward to seeing those Linebreakers painted up too - they're really good.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #566 on: April 19, 2022, 07:44:45 PM »
Thank you all. I have been meaning to do more Sludge stuff first, but I may need to move the line breakers upp in the queue. Hope I remember the recipe for the red...

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #567 on: April 29, 2022, 10:33:14 PM »
Well, here we are, the Linebreakers are done.

Need to think about backstory a little bit, but I imagine they would be some kind of Jarl's or King's huscarls up in the highlands of the Black Duns.

Trying some new photo settings, I think these might be better than the photos of the cavalry above. Thoughts?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Varangians as Linebreakers painted 30/4
« Reply #568 on: April 30, 2022, 06:59:43 AM »
Lovin’em!

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Varangians as Linebreakers painted 30/4
« Reply #569 on: April 30, 2022, 02:36:01 PM »
Very Bannerlord. Great looking unit, I look forward to seeing some games with them.