Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:39:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's fantasy projects - We need axes 17/3  (Read 131907 times)

Offline Advario

• Assistant
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Rhudaur and Rohan reinforcements 18/6
« Reply #780 on: June 19, 2023, 07:20:22 AM »
The militia looks amazing! I especially like the color gradient in the shield  :-*

The holy man looks like a really good Rhadagast the Brown proxy mini! Well done on the paintjob, as well!!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #781 on: June 19, 2023, 12:31:44 PM »
The militia looks amazing! I especially like the color gradient in the shield  :-*

The holy man looks like a really good Rhadagast the Brown proxy mini! Well done on the paintjob, as well!!

Thank you! I engaged in a little bit of two brush blending with the light green highlights, and it seems to work a treat.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - New Rohan reinforcements 26/5
« Reply #782 on: June 19, 2023, 12:38:29 PM »
Swapped some figures around, this is what the Beornings ended up looking like.

I love the eyepatch you gave the guy on the left at the back.

Always a pleasure seeing your dudes - really like how far you've expanded the scope of the LOTR project. Are you planning on doing any big 'named' characters soon?
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - New Rohan reinforcements 26/5
« Reply #783 on: June 19, 2023, 12:51:07 PM »
I love the eyepatch you gave the guy on the left at the back.

Always a pleasure seeing your dudes - really like how far you've expanded the scope of the LOTR project. Are you planning on doing any big 'named' characters soon?

It's a new head from the armoured late romans, similar to earlier sculpts but with the eyepatch.

I tend to shy away from named characters, so I've envisioned the Rohan force as an unamed Lord, rather than the King himself. So no plans on the character front.

Next plan for Lord of the Rings, which I probably won't start for a little bit, is a misty mountains themed Orc, Goblin and Warg force to be played as Huns. Planning on using oathmark minis, convert orcs on wargs as hearthguard, then goblin warg riders for warriors and finally riderless wargs and goblin slaves as levy.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #784 on: July 04, 2023, 09:12:31 PM »
Put together a few more Rohan figures, a warlord and six hearthguard on foot. Could be useful to play them as say Visigoths in SAGA, but mostly just because I have plenty of Victrix armoured late romans and they are very nice figures. Five bodies are from the main armoured roman sprue, the warlord is from the armoured roman command sprue, and the other lad with a plastic cloak is from the unarmoured roman command sprue. Couple of viking heads and some scabbards from the norman kit. Greenstuff for cloaks.

What do you think?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Rohan guardsmen 4/7
« Reply #785 on: July 04, 2023, 09:34:07 PM »
Looking good mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #786 on: July 05, 2023, 08:00:48 AM »
Lovely conversions! :-*

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #787 on: July 05, 2023, 07:50:41 PM »
Decided that before I paint any more Rohan figures I needed to sort out the basing for the army. In between building the main part of the force and the display board, I discovered Geek Gaming scenics base ready mixes and they have since become a staple of my basing. The rohirrim had my old style of base, painted sand with plenty of tufts on, and I was starting to be unhappy with it. So, today, I set about the game of dabbing glue on bases without hitting tufts, and then dunking them in flock.

Here's a bit of a picture of how it ended up looking. 61 cavalry figures and 44 infantry re-flocked.

Offline Advario

• Assistant
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Rohan re-flocked 5/7
« Reply #788 on: July 07, 2023, 07:37:59 AM »
Amazing army display! I love the kitbashed Rohan army and I drew huge inspiration from your thread and bought a lot of Victrix minis as well to try it out myself  :-*

What bases are you using for the cavalry? I usually used round ones, but they can't be combined to display a charge, since the minis are too far away from each other. Thanks!

I am

These look wonderful as well! I regret that I didn't bought the unarmoured roman infantry pack ....

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #789 on: July 07, 2023, 08:52:57 AM »
Amazing army display! I love the kitbashed Rohan army and I drew huge inspiration from your thread and bought a lot of Victrix minis as well to try it out myself  :-*

What bases are you using for the cavalry? I usually used round ones, but they can't be combined to display a charge, since the minis are too far away from each other. Thanks!

I am
These look wonderful as well! I regret that I didn't bought the unarmoured roman infantry pack ....

Thank you! Victrix sure does put out a lot of quality plastics, hard not to get everything....

For cavalry I use 25x50mm pill shaped bases. These seem to be the preferred base among SAGA players.  Best source I have found is Warbases in the UK.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #790 on: July 07, 2023, 09:17:06 AM »
Love the chariot. I must do something similar for my copplestone barbarian army.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #791 on: October 01, 2023, 08:20:52 AM »
Happened to do a little fantasy build yesterday evening. When playing the Rohan as ostrogoths in SAGA, they have access to a wide variety of mercenaries and it occured to me that I might want to try some melee cav mercenaries. After a bit of thinking about themes and bits, I found I had plenty of Oathmark sprues available and kitbashed these Dunedain horsemen from Oathmark human cavalry and Oathmark light elf heads and arms. They will get teardrop shields to match my foot Dunedain from earlier.

What do you think?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Getting little bits and pieces done this weekend. Speedpaints helped make quick work of the Dunedain horses.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - The gray company rides 8/10
« Reply #793 on: October 08, 2023, 06:27:21 PM »
a nice unit

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - The gray company rides 8/10
« Reply #794 on: October 08, 2023, 07:29:06 PM »
Yes, those turned out great! They definitely have that northern ranger style.