Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:30:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's fantasy projects - We need axes 17/3  (Read 128682 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - More woodland ruins 11/3
« Reply #375 on: March 13, 2021, 04:50:11 PM »
Have to say you've done a super cracking job on that scenery piece - the Mantic dwarf throne really makes it pop and gives it a little story all of its own.

But the company that sells it is terrible. Like really, really terrible. I've had the same issue with their resin (terrible cast quality, awful smell, brought on a bunch of allergic reactions I've had nowhere else) and their customer service matches. Ordered three of their new Trebuchet model, was sent three of the old version, asked for a replacement and was told I'd have to ship the old trebuchets back at my own expense.

Never ever order from Norba. Awful company.

Anyway sorry mate - you made the cast look awesome and it'll be a great gaming piece. Looking forward to seeing what comes next!
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - More woodland ruins 11/3
« Reply #376 on: March 15, 2021, 09:04:08 PM »
No pictures today, but more of a little blog post. Today saw the release of the Hafling list for Oathmark (link), and I must say I really really like it. Joe nails the flavour as always, and I love the little quirk of them being a "neutral" list. You can not have a Halfling kingdom, but you can have Haflings in your Kingdom.

Equipped with this new list I set about creating a new Kingdom (so easy to mentally start new projects, is it not?). I love how the Kingdom building organically creates a distinct image of this particular realm and how it is different from other realms, so I figured why not do a short write up here.

My initial concept was Halflings, Rangers and probably Dwarves. I named the realm "the Brambles" and started filling out a Kingdom sheet.

To begin with we need a capital in the center of the realm. Since I have two human forces already I went with a Dwarf capital. This city allows me Dwarf heroes, a lvl 1 or 2 dwarf spellcaster and dwarf soldiers, spearmen and archers.

In the second circle there are only two slots. I decided to skip heavy infantry, so went with a Lumber Yard for catapults and Mountain Passes for Border Guard (dwarf rangers).

The third circle is where the fun begins. A hafling village gives me hafling heroes, a lvl 1 spell caster as well aas halfling soldiers, spearmen and archers. Some Tarns (small mountain lakes) provide me with two Eachys. Joe describes them as tall and gangly with rending claws, leaving us to fill in the blanks. Finally, the waters of the tarn are given some healing properties as I select a Healing Well territory. This will allow us to heal any Legendary heroes on campaign.

In the fourth circle I went with a Hidden Grotto for a lvl 1, 2 or 3 halfling spellcaster, some Dells for Halfling Border Scouts (nimble slingers), a Dark Forest which allows me 6 Giant Spiders (or Wulvers if I prefer) and finally some Rocky Mountains for a Giant.

Considering all the terrain an image forms in my head of a tall, foreboding mountain covered in ancient trees. Wild things dwell there, and the short folk who call it home are a sometimes hostile, cantankerous lot. I imagine they also make a lot of moonshine.

And there you have it, the Kingdom of the Brambles is born. Hope you enjoy reading my mental process for making an Oathmark kingdom.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 09:06:55 PM by Ogrob »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Planning an Oathmark kingdom 15/3
« Reply #377 on: March 15, 2021, 10:59:18 PM »
The Brambles sounds like a place that would be difficult for an invader, with its vertical terrain and mix of short and tall folk!

I also find the kingdom building in Oathmark entertaining. Ideas pop into my head about what I could do with the figures I already have. I (usually) resist buying many new models for my imagined kingdoms, but I think the halflings will get some of my money soon...

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #378 on: March 16, 2021, 06:46:49 AM »
Kingdom of the Brambles seems to be a harsh place with deep valleys, windy mountain peaks, cold streams and dark forests. Very atmospheric, I like it!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:37:25 AM by BZ »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #379 on: March 16, 2021, 07:29:04 AM »
I like your kingdom building vision, the Brambles sounds great.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #380 on: March 16, 2021, 07:46:35 AM »
Glad you guys like the write up! I already have a box of Wargames Atlantic Halflings and one box of their Spiders, so this would be one of those projects where I can tell myself I don't need too much new stuff, right? :D

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #381 on: March 16, 2021, 08:59:09 AM »
 :D sounds fab!!!! cheers to the brambles!!!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #382 on: March 16, 2021, 09:27:45 AM »
Sounds like an interesting place to game. I am looking forward to seeing more on how you get to build the Brambles and her armies.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #383 on: March 16, 2021, 04:22:33 PM »
Sound all very roleplay-ey, and definitely campaigny,  in an excellent way. Are these advanced rules you are employing or is the game simple set up this  way?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #384 on: March 16, 2021, 05:06:32 PM »
Sound all very roleplay-ey, and definitely campaigny,  in an excellent way. Are these advanced rules you are employing or is the game simple set up this  way?

I guess technically Kingdom building is the advanced mode, but the basic mode is very simplified. We dove right in with all the advanced rules from the core book with no issues.

The things I have included above are the semi-official Halfling territories and one Advanced Territory (the Healing Well) from the Oathbreakers expansion. The rest of it and the structure of making the Kingdom is all core book.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #385 on: March 16, 2021, 07:23:04 PM »
Liking the Kingdom of the Brambles. Would love to see your take on a map for these guys (esp for the Black Duns), whether thru Inkarnate or something else.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #386 on: March 16, 2021, 08:51:25 PM »
Haven't done any maps unfortunately, but I did draft an army list. 13 activations seem decent, and should have a solid mix of range and hitting power with all the monsters.

THE BRAMBLES            

Heroes                           Pts
Halfling Adventurer            112
- Legendary Hero - Seize the Initiative   30
- Golden String Bow            50

Halfling Wizard lvl 2            70
Dwarf Champion            62
Dwarf Champion            62
Dwarf Wizard lvl 1            50

Infantry            
14 Dwarf Soldiers            210
14 Dwarf Soldiers            210
19 Halfling Border Scouts         171
15 Dwarf Border Guard         255
20 Halfling Spearmen            200

Artillery            
Dwarf Heavy Catapult            140

Monsters            
Eachy            120
Eachy            120
3 Giant Spiders         144
3 Giant Spiders         144
Giant            350

Total: 2500

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #387 on: March 16, 2021, 08:59:08 PM »
The kingdom building is a novel idea, really adds to the character of the army

:)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #388 on: March 17, 2021, 08:58:30 PM »
I really should be trying to finish some other projects, but you know, gamer add and all that. I had already picked up Wargames Atlantic's Halflings and Giant Spiders just to add to the collection of bits. Both have sat untouched for a few months or so on my sprue shelves, but last night I dug them out and got to work on the first models for the Brambles.

As always, we have to kitbash. The WGA Halflings are lacking in bits, and all heads bar one has a helmet. I want my Border Scouts to have a more rangery aesthetic, so I had to find some other heads. Best matches in size (and some of my few clean shaven heads, I seem to collect a type) are Perrys Ansar and Zulus. I also found some spare Victrix sling arms to supplement the WGA options.

Assembling the spiders took some effort and had to find a guide on what goes where. 12 pieces per Spider. Still, I only need three more and then we are done with these lads.

And finally I recalled that I had this Halfling spell caster from Midlam.

All in all pretty good, another army project that I can to a large extent assemble from the sprue pile. I still need Dwarfs, Eachys and a Giant.

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Building WGA halflings and spiders 17/3
« Reply #389 on: March 17, 2021, 10:01:53 PM »
those halflings look great. the heads work really well..

taking my first post on this blog as the chance, to say that I also really enjoyed browsing the remaining pages. very inspired stuff! have a large to-buy-list thanks to you and some of the other gifted conversion artists here... ;)