Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:47:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686591
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's fantasy projects - We need axes 17/3  (Read 128706 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Rohan archers 06/07
« Reply #615 on: July 06, 2022, 09:46:00 PM »
Thank you all! There are indeed two kitbashed female archers, Fireforge bodies, Victrix arms and four that I bought from Stronghold Terrain under their own brand name. I guess they are the same as Brother Vinnis that he also sells.

I have a couple of sets of these, these viking archers, their shieldmaidens, a pack of varangian guard and for some reason also a pack of crusaders with great weapons. I find that they scale quite nicely with Victrix. The female models are a bit slighter, but that seems quite reasonable.

And Tyr, yours and Koyotes use of the Dacians was a big reason I included them in this project. Your pagan rus forces are a big inspiration for anything viking age adjacent.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #616 on: July 07, 2022, 08:01:27 AM »
Loving the brilliant mix of kits mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #617 on: July 07, 2022, 02:59:12 PM »
Excellent work! And like others have said, really great use of multiple kits for these! The kitbashes and conversions are really effective

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #618 on: July 07, 2022, 03:01:03 PM »
Great stuff  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #619 on: July 21, 2022, 09:43:17 AM »
Small interlude today. Had a delivery of Fireforge's kickstarted dwarf kits the other day and put two together just to check. So far these look really good to me. I usually find some little thing to quibble about with Fireforge's design, but these look to be really good. Possible a bit better then their Northmen kits even.

I will probably end up making a SAGA force out of these, but they will have to wait a bit.

Here's a size comparison with an Oathmark light dwarf, an Oathmark light dwarf hero and a kitbashed Oathmark dwarf (didn't have any straight builds of these unfortunately, and no built heavy dwarves either). One Fireforge Dwarf warriors and one Dwarf crossbow. The crossbow uses some of the extra resin bits you could order in the kickstarter, but there are female options on the sprue.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 11:48:18 AM by Ogrob »

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Thanks for the comparison. Really interesting, I think I'm going to pick up a sprue of these guys and try some conversions.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
I imagine you'd be able to put them to good use :D

Lots of things turning up this week, today was the new Oathmark orc infantry. I coulnd't resist putting together the unit champion with that lovely two bit axe. This kit looks quite nice as well, essentially human sized so they should be useful for say bandits or more ragged human troops as well. Wish there were more heads as we of course don't have much to kitbash with.

I also had a quick play and built an orc based on a Frostgrave barbaian body, and a draft of an Orc Linebreaker using a Frostgrave demon body.

Offline WitchQueenofAngmar

• Bookworm
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Oathmark orcs arrive 21/7
« Reply #622 on: July 21, 2022, 03:57:15 PM »
Absolutely splendid work!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #623 on: July 21, 2022, 04:18:38 PM »
Looking good! I am pleased they all work so well together.

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #624 on: July 21, 2022, 05:11:07 PM »
Those are nice conversions! How do the Oathmark orc heads compare size-wise to the old Wargames Factory/Warlord Games orcs? The heads were probably the best things from those old kits and could be useful for conversions with these.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #625 on: July 21, 2022, 05:24:25 PM »
Those are nice conversions! How do the Oathmark orc heads compare size-wise to the old Wargames Factory/Warlord Games orcs? The heads were probably the best things from those old kits and could be useful for conversions with these.

Don't have any of those unfortunately.

Offline WitchQueenofAngmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #626 on: July 21, 2022, 06:39:58 PM »
I don't have the new orcs, but I do have the Wargames Factory heads, and here's one placed on the FG demon body. Similar enough in size I think.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #627 on: July 21, 2022, 06:51:47 PM »
Those look excellent! The kitbashes seem very promising!

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #628 on: July 22, 2022, 05:46:47 PM »
Thank you for the comparison photo. They don't look too different.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #629 on: July 27, 2022, 10:11:00 PM »
Right, let's get back to the Rohirrim shall we? Finding good Warriors was for sure the hardest part of this project. Lots of good choices for soldiers of foot (Victrix Saxons, Normans, lots of cool Shieldmaidens out there) but mounted warriors who are not heavily armoured and good sculpts? Not so easy. I dismissed Gripping Beasts dark age cavalry, as I find the horses a bit iffy. In the end I decided to try ordering some 3D prints from Reconquer Designs, which looked very promising. I also bought the one pack of lightly armoured Norman cavalry that V&V offer.

And having typed all that out I realise that I posted unpainted pics of these models a few pages back, didn't I? I guess I already said much that same thing.

Story wise I reckon that these Riders of Rohan are trained warriors, but not professional soldiers. Perhaps they are farmers, farriers, smiths and what not, who owe limited military service to their liege. They own their own horses and are strong riders, trained in war, but not as well equipped as the elite Knights.

Also, discovery of the summer for me has been Serious Play UK who make just fantastic tufts, especially the little mini-diorama style ones. Well worth the fee for importing from the UK. I had a delivery the other day and took full advantage on these warriors. After seeing the result, I also had to go back and add more grass to my hearthguard's bases, as they felt barren and dull in comparison. Going for a dry grassland look, shiting from brown grass to some autumn tones with a few remnants of green here and there.

What do you think?