Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's fantasy projects - We need axes 17/3  (Read 128678 times)

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Rohirrim with bows 02/08
« Reply #645 on: August 05, 2022, 05:45:30 PM »
The Spellcaster is a must for SAGA Age of Magic, but I feel like Tolkien never mentions lesser wizards or humans who know magic spells, does he? Anyone better versed in lore than me?

The Mouth of Sauron, described as having "learned great sorcery", in his one scene in RotK.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Lots of Rohirrim 5/8
« Reply #646 on: August 05, 2022, 08:38:17 PM »
Lovely stuff.

I see Rohirrim are the talk of the town at the moment, êrhaps you can help me with the question I just asked.....

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=137716.0

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #647 on: August 05, 2022, 08:41:01 PM »
Cracking  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #648 on: August 05, 2022, 09:16:35 PM »
Thanks all. DalyDR, thank you for the reference. Certainly some evidence of humans who knew magic, so the idea of a court sorcerer is perhaps not too unreasonable.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #649 on: August 06, 2022, 02:31:21 PM »
As I said on Facebook, really brilliant work. I have to say that Champion is especially imposing. You have a real talent for sculpting (horsehair and cloaks especially).
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #650 on: August 06, 2022, 07:54:02 PM »
Thanks mate! I do think I figured out some nice techniques for these last few cloaks.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #651 on: August 07, 2022, 07:06:47 AM »
Epic work mate, the total is even greater than the sum of the parts. 👏🏻
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #652 on: August 10, 2022, 08:59:33 AM »
Ogrob in April: "I'm going to use only Victrix minis for the Rohan project, it will look great and super cohesive!"

Ogrob in August: "Maybe I could get some Fireforge Turcopoles to complement those Reconquer, V&V and Bad Squiddo minis I have been using as warriors...."

Best laid plans, right? The trickiest part of this project has as mentioned been warriors, that middle category in SAGA that should be lightly armoured but decently equipped. I need a few more with Javelins and horses to make better lists of Normans and Spanish, at least four more over the 12 I made from Reconquer and V&V, and I did not want to just repeat sculpts from either of those. I happened across Fireforge's turcopole kit and liked the look of the horses and realised that it came with unarmoured and lightly armoured bodies with stirrups, perfect for this. Got the kit the other day and put this test model together using some Victrix arms and head:

What do you think?

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #653 on: August 10, 2022, 09:05:35 AM »
I think it looks seamless - out of interest, is it closer in scale to Fireforge's older historicals or to the newer Forgotten World stuff? (Thinking the horses in particular)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #654 on: August 10, 2022, 09:12:11 AM »
They feel smaller than the Northmen horses, I was a little worried about matching with Victrix, but that looks ok to me. I guess the Byzantine range that these come from are more like the almughavars in scale, not as small as the old crusaders, but not quite as big as the fantasy ranges.

Hard to compare with painted and based minis, but looks in between the two in size to me, or possibly quite close to the crusader horse.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 01:48:14 PM by Ogrob »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Rohirrim with bows 02/08
« Reply #655 on: August 10, 2022, 09:32:48 AM »
Lovely stuff!

The Spellcaster is a must for SAGA Age of Magic, but I feel like Tolkien never mentions lesser wizards or humans who know magic spells, does he? Anyone better versed in lore than me?

There are certainly humans who know sorcery, so it's not just the Istari who can cast spells. I think most of the mentioned sorcerers are baddies, though - like some of the pre-wraithified Nazgul and the Mouth of Sauron:

And he entered the service of the Dark Tower when it first rose again, and because of his cunning he grew ever higher in the Lord's favour; and he learned great sorcery, and knew much of the mind of Sauron; and he was more cruel than any orc....

And then there's this from Gandalf (outside Moria):

I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves or Men or Orcs ...

I think his letters and unpublished writings suggest that Tolkien never quite decided who could or couldn't work magic in Middle-earth - not least because he'd made reference to it in published works before he decided to systematise it! So I think you've got plenty of wiggle-room!

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #656 on: August 10, 2022, 02:08:40 PM »
They feel smaller than the Northmen horses, I was a little worried about matching with Victrix, but that looks ok to me. I guess the Byzantine range that these come from are more like the almughavars in scale, not as small as the old crusaders, but not quite as big as the fantasy ranges.

Hard to compare with painted and based minis, but looks in between the two in size to me, or possibly quite close to the crusader horse.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the comparison, that's really helpful! Looks absolutely fine to me and will go well with Fireforge for sure. I think it'll be bang on for Victrix too. Definitely won't stand out in a mixed force anyway.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #657 on: August 10, 2022, 08:26:56 PM »
Thank you Hobgoblin for the lore, most excellent. Happy enough with the idea of a human sorcerer capable of just enough magic to serve in a noble court.

Now, I had to do some planning and thought about army lists. Looking through the options I came to the conclusion that I don't really need Javelin hearthguard for now. Of my trio - Spanish, Normans and Horde, only Normans have javelin hearthguard, and really only when played as the breton variant. They are supposed to then have javelin foot levy, but I want bow levy, so sticking with plain mounted hearthguard. To that end I have done some handswaps on two models so I have 12 mounted hearthguard now, 3 points for SAGA.

I have 2 points of levy built, but Normans and Spanish probably only want 1 pt of those, so I'd need at least 2 pts of warriors with mounts and javelins. For Horde, we're looking at 8 pts rather than 6, and I have a wizard and champion to take into account. The eight bow warriors I built last week are a point, but I feel I may want another point of mounted warriors in this list too, but they need to be without javelins.

To that end, I reckon my best option is to take the 12 man turcopole box and built 4 javelin warriors and 8 regular. Tonight I set about doing the javelin warriors and here is what I came up with. Dacian arms, two norman left hands, two dacian heads, two viking heads, some dacian cloaks and viking swords:

What do you think?

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Playing around with Fireforge turcopoles pg 44
« Reply #658 on: August 10, 2022, 09:02:17 PM »
Very useful comparisons indeed. Thanks. 

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #659 on: August 11, 2022, 07:16:05 AM »

Doesn’t seem that much noticeable difference in terms of size to me.