Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:43:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686626
  • Total Topics: 118115
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's fantasy projects - We need axes 17/3  (Read 128754 times)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Very nice work! Really like how the scales on the dragon look!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Agree with all the above comments about the dragon - a beautiful piece. The Rhudaur are also a grand looking bunch. A nicely themed and cohesive army.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Couple of updates today. The first is a new light, I bought a ring light to try out instead of using my lightbox which diffuses light using its cloth sides. The side lights are a bit annoying, take up a load of space, and still leave some shadows on the front of the mini. The ring ligt in theory gives me diffused but frontal light and should give soft shadows and enable nice clear shots. Let me know if you think these photos are the same, better or worse than before.

Second, the Rhudaur force is apparently not quite finished yet. Despite painting 59 hillmen in April, and having only played one game with them, I am going to be building and painting some more. SAGA picts can take a unit of crossbows, and as you can select equipment at the start of the game, SAGA really encourages you to build all the weapon options for your troops. So here we are, 12 crossbows, only slightly kitbashed. Frostgrave barbarians with a few Victrix heads for the men, and the women have heads from Shieldwolf, Fireforge, GW and other Frostgrave kits. Oh, how I wish Victrix would make a set of Shieldmaidens with their usual quality and quantity of head options.

I also finished the chariot for my third Warlord, again an option SAGA picts have. It ended up slightly off kilter, so I modelled it as if the driver had just gone over a small rock.

What do you think?

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
They look quite good. The crossbow armed fighters will add some punch at a distance and the warlord in the chariot is excellent!

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Great chariot.  Look forward to the Xbows.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Great work, as usual!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
Lovely chariot :)

I think the ring light pictures are a bit darker then your regular pictures, but I dont see any issued with shadows.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
And crossbows painted, just about ready for a club game day next weekend.

That's it for Rhudaur for the time being, at least until North Star give us orc heavy infantry so I can make some heavy weapon hearthguard. Next project will be in my early middle ages thread.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Hillmen crossbows painted 14/5
« Reply #773 on: May 26, 2023, 03:47:37 PM »
As always, I've been distracted by my own ideas. I had started assembling a migration era germanic force from Victrix lovely late roman sets, but did not feel any particular urgency in building another SAGA army as I have very much enjoyed playing the Rohan as goths and the Rhudaur as picts. Only have a handful of games with each force.

So, while idly thinking about different potential army lists, I've ended up building a couple of extra units to join Rohan. First, a unit of spear levy. These can be used when playing the Lombard variant from Age of Vikings. As you can see, equipped with the bare essentials, older, lesser trained men, but eager to defend their homeland. Their leader is modelled as more of a trained warrior. The two figures behind him I have modified since taking the photo, their poses just ended up looking very strange.

Second, another unit of mercenaries. These are meant to be Beornings, to be used as the more aggressive sword and shield mercs in SAGA Age of Invasions. I've tried to make the Beornings look wild, but not as wild as the Rhudaur. Couple of metal figures from the lead pile and some Victrix kitbashes to round out numbers.

What do you think?

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - New Rohan reinforcements 26/5
« Reply #774 on: May 27, 2023, 05:22:20 PM »
Good choices.  I like the levy Spear.  A village call out of sorts.  Keep up the work. 

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - New Rohan reinforcements 26/5
« Reply #775 on: June 17, 2023, 09:50:40 PM »
Swapped some figures around, this is what the Beornings ended up looking like.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Beorning allies 17/6
« Reply #776 on: June 17, 2023, 11:55:51 PM »
Wonderful minis!  :-*

Fantastic thread!  o_o

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #777 on: June 18, 2023, 12:55:20 AM »
Excellent work on those, they seem just right for Beornings!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #778 on: June 18, 2023, 07:01:26 PM »
Spent some time fixing up my hobby space during the week, but now that's done and I can get back to painting and taking pictures.

First out, a holy man for the Rhudaur hillmen. I learned that the Priest mercenary is quite good for Pagan People, so as part of preparing to play that board as well, I painted up this Dungeons & Lasers druid.

And second, a unit of melee levy for Rohan. These are fieldable by the Lombards, who also use the Goth battleboard. Kitbashed from Dacians, Dark Age slingers and Late Romans. A good excuse to use up left over bits really. I imagine these as older men, past military service, but still called up when the enemy threatens their homes.

What do you think?

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Rhudaur and Rohan reinforcements 18/6
« Reply #779 on: June 18, 2023, 07:11:24 PM »
That’s a classy shaman and the militia look good. I like your approach of using up the spare pieces,.