Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:48:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690694
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Report: Twilight of Divine Right  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Battle Report: Twilight of Divine Right
« on: December 02, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »
Ahoy-hoy!

Last Wednesday I had Cpt.Shandy over for another game of Twilight of Divine Right, which over the past year has become my go-to set of rules for Thirty Years War battles. This time we used a slightly different scenario (not based on a historical battle, but lifted from Scenarios for all Ages, by Charles S Grant and Stuart Asquith) for an interesting change of pace.

https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/2019/12/twilight-of-divine-right-battle-report/

I hope that you enjoy the battle report!

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
Re: Battle Report: Twilight of Divine Right
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »
Great battle report. Loved the pictures of the action.

Offline nonsuch

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 10:29:01 PM »
Terrific report and display of minis, I am starting my own 10mm ECW project and this is very inspiring

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
Sigur,
That's gorgeous!

Lovely battlefield scenics (great staging), and WOW - super figure painting.

Online MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 05:25:07 AM »
Your armies are spectacular looking! Always enjoy your AARs, thanks.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 01:23:51 PM »
@Friends of General Haig: Cheers! As usual I got a bit carried away when things got sticky and during the hot phases of the game the photo situation is getting a bit thin. :D Hope the action was still easy to follow.

@nonsuch: Thanks, and excellent to hear! How do you intend to base them?

@FlyXwire: Thank you very much. Actually the lighting isn't too good on my gaming table, which means I need to use flash photography, resulting in all kinds of different results on photos. :D But it somehow works OK. Really glad I got that gaming mat though.

@MGH: Thank you very much! I've been working on them since 2012. It's kind of my very own little pet project.

So yeah, thanks for the very positive feedback; much appreciated!

As usual after a game of Twilget I felt obliged to hastily paint some more units of things for the collection.

2 units of mounted Dragoons (featuring, among other things, the 'new' Pendraken dragoons, which loook great), 1 unit of Harquebusiers (featuring the 'old' Pendraken Harquebusiers), 1 unit of either pooror or later Cuirassiers or Reiters. Dudes with helmets, breast- and backplate, swords and pistols. And I actually forgot who made them. There's some Pendraken in there, a hint of Irregular, but I just can't remember the mainstay of the unit. Maybe it's new Pendraken ones as well? Not too sure.

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2019_12/1.jpg.aee277e9a84d3d8823b4c065bff1e1de.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2019_12/2.jpg.f543766f44960cc41b1e123d47e84ec1.jpg

Either way - that bumps the total number of cavalry units I painted this year up to a staggering 15. During the same time I also did 4 units of pike&shot (Swedish Brigades or Tercios. Or I split the number of bases in half to make them 8 later regiments), a bunch more musketeer bases on top of that, 1.5 units of dragoons on foot, 9 field cannons, 1 light cannon, 5 limbers. My total collection of TYW minis thus increases to over 1400 painted minis. Wahey!

I blame Twilight of Divine Right for that. And their insanely cavalry-heavy, large battles in the latter stages of the war. :D Well, and because it's a really, really fun game.

Offline nonsuch

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 05:58:43 PM »
Battle Brush, not sure yet how I will proceed with basing, I have only just ordered a load of pendraken and minifigs ECW and am awaiting there arrival, but plan to use the battle of Naseby as my focal point.
Thanks again for your inspiring work, top notch.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 06:43:07 PM »
My total collection of TYW minis thus increases to over 1400 painted minis. Wahey!

:o

Can only join the chorus concerning the beauty of those minis. 10mm eh?

Wow!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 09:32:48 AM »
@nonsuch: Oh, right. Funny, I never got any of the Minifigs minis, now that you mention it. Make sure to have a look at Old Glory (my favourite pike infantry and cannons out there) and Lancer miniatures (those are a bit... well, a lot chunkier actually, so you can't really mix them into other units, but I really like the figures).

@Ray Rivers: Thanks very much. :) Yup, 10mm. Went for that because I wanted to do proper battle-looking things (also due to financial and spatial/storage reasons as I knew I'd do the whole thing on my own). I also painted a lot of Warmaster minis as commission jobs between 2005 and 2010 and absolutely adore those ranges. All of them. These are some of the best 10mm minis ever made, especially how the strips of infantry aren't a row of separate dudes, but often overlap, sometimes interact (specially so on Orcs and goblins) and just look like proper closed-rank infantry. You can clearly see how that basing style reflects in how I based my TYW minis (cavalry lengthwise, etc.). Anyway, I really dig my little 10mm dudes. Problem is that I rarely get them out. Can't really take them to others to play, surely can't take them to shows (because I have to bring big, impressive-looking models to put in the glass cabinet and on display there. The kind that draws the eye.), and due to Battle Brush obligations (which I love of course) I might never be able to run participation games with them either. Either way, I got a nice big gaming table now, so at least I can run games at home and if worse comes to worst I can just do solo games.

Here's a tidbit - the table's still up. Usually I take a loooong time putting the stuff away again, not (just) because I got no pressure to do so and I'm really lazy, but I just enjoy seeing the setup. Even if it's just in the corner of my eye als I pass the table. It's nice having a nice looking wargames table set up in the house. :D

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 03:31:44 PM »
You can clearly see how that basing style reflects in how I based my TYW minis (cavalry lengthwise, etc.). Anyway, I really dig my little 10mm dudes. Problem is that I rarely get them out. Can't really take them to others to play, surely can't take them to shows (because I have to bring big, impressive-looking models to put in the glass cabinet and on display there. The kind that draws the eye.), and due to Battle Brush obligations (which I love of course) I might never be able to run participation games with them either. Either way, I got a nice big gaming table now, so at least I can run games at home and if worse comes to worst I can just do solo games.

Here's a tidbit - the table's still up. Usually I take a loooong time putting the stuff away again, not (just) because I got no pressure to do so and I'm really lazy, but I just enjoy seeing the setup. Even if it's just in the corner of my eye als I pass the table. It's nice having a nice looking wargames table set up in the house. :D
(underlining above my addition)

Much of what you wrote here really resonates.....

I've 'succumbed ' to collecting larger figures (going with the flow), and also trying to support sales and systems which our local hobby shop carries - while they're allowing us good use of their space for a monthly game day I organize there.

After a few years with the big figures, I find myself going back enthusiastically to the smaller sized figures again for anything linear warfare, or beyond anything considered a skirmish scenario with the big figures.  The smaller figures present in my mind more potential for travelling to game days, enable use on smaller tables, and still with substantial scope and breadth to present battlefields having room for [extra] maneuver.

Being an average painter but an enthusiastic wargamer, there's a tug of war within for wanting that visual appeal of the big figures vs. the impact and utility of smaller figures on a more battlefield-evolving tabletop......

I'm teetering and swaying at the moment, but starting to lean back towards the smaller scales (and for WW2 already covet my 1/144th-12mm stuff - as you say  I "really dig my little 10mm dudes").   :)   

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 04:06:32 PM »
Go Finns!!!

I hear you about the smaller scales, but man oh man, I need a magnifying glass to do small details on larger figs, or painting smaller figures.  Dang aging process!

Nice report!