Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:39:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Airbrush ventilation with acrylic paints?  (Read 433 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Airbrush ventilation with acrylic paints?
« on: December 17, 2023, 07:26:44 PM »
I have never used an airbrush before, but received one (and compressor) as a gift LAST Christmas. I bought a small spray booth with lights, fan, and filter. I was going to try painting in the garage with the door open in the nice weather, but that has not worked out. However I will have some time to try it out over the holidays this year. But since I am in a cold climate need to do it indoors. I paint figures in the the cellar and getting to an outside window is a big challenge. I only plan on using acrylic paints, so I am considering setting up the spray booth like normal, but instead of venting to an outside window I will run the exhaust duct to a bucket rigged as a secondary filter. Cover the top with filter material, cut a hole, and insert the end of the duct and seal it -- something like that. Maybe a towel in the bottom to soak up anything that gets through the duct.

My thought process is this:
  • I'm not using paints with solvents, so my concern is with spray/particulate matter, not toxic fumes.
  • There is already one filter on the fan, the bucket will act as a secondary filter to prevent paint from spraying into the air.

Does this make sense or am I off target? Anyone else have suggestions? Like I said, I have zero experience with an airbrush but would like to try it out!

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: Airbrush ventilation with acrylic paints?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 11:26:05 PM »
All that sounds good, I run the duct through an outside window the bucket idea also works, I spray with acrylics but still wear a mask with particulate filters as well better safe than sorry.

This may help your bucket plan.

https://youtu.be/4HWM3dJ8ESc?si=rTOfMBEazE8H_kSo
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 08:08:46 AM by Phil Robinson »

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 09:07:59 AM »
It is my understanding that the biggest issue with ventilation when using an airbrush is not the solvent in the paint per se, but rather the fact that aerosols will be floating everywhere.

Not only will they settle everywhere, creating a visible layer of dust/paint throughout the entire space/room over time, but breathing them in is also hazardous in the long run, as the particles can be inhaled very deeply due to their small size.

I'm actually in the same boat as you (exactly even), but I haven't given it a shot just yet. Mostly because I have to paint in my hobby/gaming room, and I don't want the aforementioned paint dust coating my display cases, terrain, table and books.

No chance to funnel any air to the outside, so I'll have to do everything inside this one room, and it can't be a permanent setup, as I don't have the space for that.

It seems to me that you have all bases covered there though, so I'm very interested to see how your setup works out!
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 09:17:53 AM »
Subscribe to the USA Airbrush Supply newsletter!

I don't have the ventilation for airbrushing, or patience to clean up, but use Stynylrez colored primers for brushing and basecoats. Cheaper than hobby paints. White has too many bubbles for brush-on, but ebony brown, metal, and neutral (khaki) I frequently use.

They have sales on holidays through the year. Forgot if they have a free shipping threshold.

Reaper has a ton of airbrush tips : https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/search/&tags=airbrush
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/