Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:13:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cape Frontier Wars  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Dannyboy

• Schoolboy
Cape Frontier Wars
« on: November 25, 2023, 08:00:45 PM »
Hello,
Wondered if anybody could shed some light on the appearance of Thembu warriors as allies of the Xhosa during the 8th Cape Frontier war? Reading Keith Smith's "Harry Smith's Last Throw", they appear to fight at Nell's farm in a very similar manner to the Zulus. Direct charges etc, as opposed to the skirmishing tactics of the Xhosa.

Would they dress in similar style to the Zulu's? Hoping the answer is yes so I can use the Perry plastics to bulk out the larger units.

Many thanks for any guidance on this.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Cape Frontier Wars
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 04:30:51 PM »
I was wrong
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 08:49:40 PM by juergen c. olk »

Offline Dannyboy

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 04:54:03 PM »
Many thanks for the input, I did try that, what I was really after was some contemporary mid 19th Century images if possible, most of the google images depict well known Xhosa references or else modern interpretations that lend towards a generic "Zulu" look.

However good news, I'll put in the order for the Perry plastics now!

Cheers

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 06:20:14 PM »
This has just been posted on the Iron Duke Miniatures Facebook page -

Question of relevance to the Cape Frontier Wars posed on the Lead Adventure Forum and answered by another forum member incorrectly. The question posed was what did the Thembu look like? Did they look like Zulus? Wrong answer [yes] then given by a second party in response. Here is the correct answer: no they did not look like Zulus (in terms of dress, weaponry and tactics). They looked like the Xhosa and fought like the Xhosa. The Zulu and Ndebele are amongst those conventionally categorized as Northern Nguni. The Xhosa and the Thembu are Southern Nguni and are very near neighbours, both geographically and culturally speaking. They are such close cousins indeed that it is often said that Mandela was a Xhosa, when in fact he was a Thembu. As an aside Xhosa royals conventionally took Thembu wives.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 08:50:13 PM »
Thanx for correction,my mistake

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 09:55:08 PM »
Thanx for correction,my mistake

Hell, they could look like penguins for all I know, but I saw the post and thought it would be helpful to pass it along.

By the way, that's a damn classy response, well done sir.

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 08:48:46 AM »
I’m aiming to get my Sharp Practice guide to the Cape Frontier Wars published in early 2024 - its going to be about 70-80 pages, covering the wars of 1834-53, with period-specific rule amendments, unit rosters and core force lists for the British, Cape Colony, Boers, Xhosa, Basotho, Zulu and Ndebele plus 8 historic scenarios.

Offline Dannyboy

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 10:48:18 PM »
Many thanks for the replies gentlemen, especially the authoritative input of Colonel Mike Snook, if you see this sir, many thanks indeed, brilliant books by the way.

Offline Dannyboy

• Schoolboy
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 10:54:02 PM »
Put me down as a confirmed definite plus one for the Cape Frontier supplement when it comes out!

One further question if I may?

Did the British use volley firing during this later post Napoleonic period, especially in the Cape, or would it been more a case of independent firing?

Wondering how effective volley firing would have been against the Xhosa in the close jungle/ bush terrain with low visibility. Reminded of the scene in “Last of the Mohicans” where the British company attempt to volley fired the Indians before getting rushed and overpowered.

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 10:21:49 PM »
Dannyboy, I’ll make an announcement here once everything has been finalised, and thanks for your support.

Mike Snook has actually posted quite a lengthy response to your question on the Iron Duke Miniatures page on Facebook, as he’s not a member here. It’s worth following his page on FB, if you’re there but I’ll try and work out how to copy/paste his reply here unless someone beats me to it.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 03:20:56 PM »
Hello,
Wondered if anybody could shed some light on the appearance of Thembu warriors as allies of the Xhosa during the 8th Cape Frontier war? Reading Keith Smith's "Harry Smith's Last Throw", they appear to fight at Nell's farm in a very similar manner to the Zulus. Direct charges etc, as opposed to the skirmishing tactics of the Xhosa.

Would they dress in similar style to the Zulu's? Hoping the answer is yes so I can use the Perry plastics to bulk out the larger units.

Many thanks for any guidance on this.

Hi Dannyboy,

If you are able get a copy of Noel Mostert's Frontiers.  It covers all of the Xhosa Wars in great detail.  Dress could vary but they don't really look like Zulus.  Decorating the body with red clay had religious and cultural significance.  Naked warriors sometimes bar a cowhide cloak often dyed red on smooth side.

Tactics could vary too.  Fierce charges, ambushes with fire arms, stand up fights in the open, cavalry reported too in 1835.

Offline Dannyboy

• Schoolboy
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 08:16:35 PM »
Mostert is on my Christmas list, something to keep going through January at over a 1000 pages but alongside the Colonel Michael Snook volumes, indispensable reading I would imagine.

Really enjoyed Keith Smith's "The Last Throw, the eighth frontier war", well worth a read for a solid primer on the subject.

Caught up with the Iron Duke Facebook page, a goldmine of information by enthusiasts who really know their stuff, superb and thanks for the pointer!

Staring to explore ways of getting this onto the table top via  Sharp Practice and The Men Who would be Kings.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 08:21:01 PM by Dannyboy »

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2024, 11:37:06 AM »
I too enjoyed Keith Smiths book, and Colonel Mike Snook's books are both a great read with lots of useful information on the period.

I have the Mostert book but have not read it yet.

Great to hear there is a book in the works for Sharp Practice too, very much looking forward to that. It's such a fascinating period.

Steve

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2024, 02:28:47 PM »
Pleased to say my Sharp Practice guide to the Cape Wars is now at the printing stage and should be available by Easter - see my separate post for more information