Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:57:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690904
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - now with my first Swahili buildings  (Read 69488 times)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
I'm sitting here with a parched throat, waiting in expectation...... 

.....almost like a cinema series from the 30's - but let me get my popcorn - and don't start the film till I'm back!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:26:00 PM by FlyXwire »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Great story.
Love your figures and terrain.
Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
I'm sitting here with a parched throat, waiting in expectation...... 

.....almost like a cinema series from the 30's - but let me get my popcorn - and don't start the film till I'm back!

Pop corn at the ready?

Captain Phil Lander took a steadying breath and stroked the trigger on his 4-bore elephant gun he allowed himself a brief smile as his target, a native in a large feather headdress, flew several feet back  into the bush. Handing the gun to his servant to re-load he took a moment to study the course of the battle. Looking to his right he saw RSM Dupp, alone, running towards him through the long grass hotly pursued by a swarm of angry natives. ” Give that man some covering fire!” Shouted Captain Lander. It was to late a thrown spear lodged itself in Dupp’s thigh. He stumbled forward and received a spear thrust in the back. Even wounded Dupp wasn’t the sort of man to go down without a fight. Despite being on his knees Dupp wrestled a spear of one of his attackers and plunged it into the mans chest before dying under a flurry of blows. “Rifle!” screamed Lander at his servant. He took aim at Dupp’s attackers as a particularly large warrior brandished Dupp’s severed head towards Captain Lander’s men. The crack of the lander’s rifle going off was the last thing the large warrior ever heard.

Turn 7 – RSM Dupp fired causing 1 casualty , Safiri rallied his command to un-pin them, Mr Wellington got his men double moving an impressive 12″ while Captain Lander decided to stop for afternoon tiffin (in other words failed his activation roll). Of the natives one group slinked off, another went to ground the last group charged Safiri and his surviving porters and butchered them to a man.

Turn 8 – The survivors of the expedition decided to fill the air with hot lead  Mr Wellington and armed porters where the stars of the show yet again managing a credible four hits, Captain Landers boys also did sterling work but RSM Dupp and boys missed everyone. The natives all advanced or charged. One group charging Captain Landers command and inflicted a casualty but rather surprisingly the natives where wiped out. I guess Captain Landers horse whip is a deadly weapon.

Turn 9 – Mr Wellington’s command fired again inflicting another 4 casualties I’m starting to think these armed porters are in fact Grenadier Guards in disguise. Captain Lander’s command double moved triggering a native unit to appear in charge range. RSM Dupp double moved a smart 12″. For the natives one unit decided to slink away. The other unit charged RSM Dupp and speared him to death though Dupp still managed to take down a native as he died.

Biff Wellington and his men emerged from a tangle of brush. “Form up! stick together!” commanded Biff. One of his men shouted something in his native tongue and the porters all started running forward. “Wait! where are you going damn it” screamed Biff. Then he saw the watering hole and broke into a run. Biff fell into the water, it was muddy and smelly, and Biff had never seen anything so wonderful. He cupped his hand and drunk his fill.

Turn 10 – Mr Wellington’s command double moved to the watering hole. Captain Landers men opened fire pinning a unit of Ngoni.. The pinned natives failed a rally test and fled

Turn 11 – Mr Wellington and his men took up defensive positions and stood to. Captain Lander decided to stop for a bite of Dundee cake (failed his activation roll). There where no natives on the table

Turn 12 – Mr Wellington continued to stand to. Captain Lander double moved to the watering hole. With no natives on the table I declared the expedition as victors.

Conclusion – It was a really fun game fought over a couple of evenings. TMWWBK solo rules work really well while the programmed activation can through up the odd result it was very unpredictable which made the game pretty tense at times with natives popping up all over the place. Man of the match performance to Mr Biff Wellington and his men who despite being the most inexperienced leader with the worst troops cut a bloody swath through the Ngoni with the sort of firing that would of made british regulars proud.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Nice game, wonderful scenery & figures. Well done that man.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
Pop corn at the ready?
I think I hear it popping, but that might be some desultory fire coming from off the screen here.   ;)

(in the meantime I've slipped back to find out what's happened in the rest of the show)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
Rugged fight for some stinkin' water hole of which no one would have likely known, save the recounting here of the few survivors!

How did they survive to tell their tale.......the story continues?

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
Amazing table and figs!

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
Looking fantastic
Flatpack

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Rugged fight for some stinkin' water hole of which no one would have likely known, save the recounting here of the few survivors!

How did they survive to tell their tale.......the story continues?

Well maybe it really started out as an attempt to use the miniatures I had painted and try out the new rules. Seems like Captain Phil Lander and Mr Biff Wellington could make another appearance though. If they do they are going to need some new allies as half the expedition died on that outing..I do have a few Arab slavers painted up though ...

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
Really excellent stuff!

Do you mind posting a link for the teddy bear fur you used. I have some but not so happy with it so looking for other options.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:43:44 AM by Calumma »

Offline Isasi

• Assistant
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Dying for a Drink – an AAR – Part 3
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »
Absolutely wonderfull!!!, congratulations.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2020, 02:43:15 PM »
Reaally, really nice. This is harking back to the glory days of Plynkes African battle reports.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2020, 09:11:05 PM »
Really excellent stuff!

Do you mind posting a link for the teddy bear fur you used. I have some but not so happy with it so looking for other options.

Cheers!

No problem. I got mine off eBay (link below) its called somewhat appropriately Lions Mane Faux fur. I should warn you it's pretty long It took a lot of cutting to get it to a better length (like two bin bags full of cut faux fur) the colour was IMO pretty perfect though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/292911063957?chn=ps&var=591688501273&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=591688501273_292911063957&targetid=876392498860&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045796&campaignid=9441268977&mkgroupid=97372076338&rlsatarget=aud-629407026665:pla-876392498860&abcId=1139366&merchantid=115062144&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9tbzBRDVARIsAMBplx9ZD2puArsilpkF_vy_UT8HTHHrb1pCJ7kiT09vtIvHk-IIinB4Ve4aAmJEEALw_wcB
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:29:36 AM by Diablo Jon »

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2020, 09:13:21 PM »
Absolutely wonderfull!!!, congratulations.

Thank you

Reaally, really nice. This is harking back to the glory days of Plynkes African battle reports.

blimey that's high praise indeed Plynkes stuff is like the gold standard of DA stuff. thanks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:30:09 AM by Diablo Jon »

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2020, 03:11:05 AM »
This is harking back to the glory days of Plynkes African battle reports

I fully agree. Great work Diablo John. That IS high praise indeed.