Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:20:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690890
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - now with my first Swahili buildings  (Read 69451 times)

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
Wonderful work.

Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Finished my Zanzibar regular army (Pg34)
« Reply #526 on: January 28, 2024, 05:58:02 AM »
That devil of a Johnny that is responsible for this thread hasn't been around for a bit so I thought I'd post this back up top to see if he can update us on his latest doings. So much goodness in this thread.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #527 on: February 21, 2024, 07:37:41 AM »
That devil of a Johnny that is responsible for this thread hasn't been around for a bit so I thought I'd post this back up top to see if he can update us on his latest doings. So much goodness in this thread.

I've taken a bit of a break from Africa needed to paint something a bit different so I've dabbled in some Napoleonics, fantasy and sci-fi. But last weekend I did paint a little Darkest Africa which has fired up my interest again so we will see what else comes up in the meantime time I give you Mirambo.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #528 on: February 21, 2024, 07:47:50 AM »
I had a few spare Darkest Africa miniatures laying about including Northstar’s Mirambo miniature. I recently spoke to old wargaming friend who mentioned he was going to do some Death in the Dark Continent armies based on east Africa. Most of my collection is based on British Central Africa and single based for use with TMWWBKs, while Death in the Dark Continent uses a multi-basing system. So just to experiment with some multi-basing I knocked up three bases of spare miniatures to represent Mirambo and some of his Ruga-Ruga.

Born in 1840 Mtyela Kasanda, better known as Mirambo ( meaning Heaps of corpses), went on to create one of the largest indigenous African Kingdoms, in the 19th century, in what is today the country of Tanzania. Mirambo’s early life is a bit of a mystery he claimed descent from the legendry Nyamwezi ruler Mshimba but other Nyamwezi Ntemi (kings) didn’t consider his claims legitimate. It appears in his early life he ran a trade caravan this caravan allowed him to both recruit men and gain access to guns. In his early years Mirambo mysteriously developed a close relationship with the WaTatu Ngoni (the most northerly branch of the Ngoni migrations who fled the wars of Shaka Zulu) whose warriors frequently supported his early campaigns. With these resources Mirambo was able to overthrow the Ntemi of the kingdom of Urambo around 1860.

By his death in 1884 Mirambo had expanded his kingdom by conquering many of the other Nyamwezi Kingdoms to the west of his original kingdom. Mirambo didn’t just go to war with the other Nyamwezi he also warred with the Arabs of Zanzibar and their trading colony of Tabora he defeated the Arabs on several occasions though he was never able to conqueror Tabora itself. In his later years he actually allied with the Arabs to fight his long time allies the WaTuta Ngoni who he had fallen out with. After Mirambo’s death his kingdom passed to his brother but lacking Mirambo’s military skills the kingdom disintegrated in a few short years

Henry Morton Stanley, who joined the Arabs in their war against Mirambo in 1871, and later went on to become friends with Mirambo, called him the African Bonaparte. In fact this wasn’t a bad comparison like a young Napoleon Mirambo’s success relied heavily on the speed he could move his army and the strategic surprise this gave him over his enemies. According to the missionary Southon who knew Mirambo he would frequently run 15 miles capture an enemy village and then without stopping run another 30 miles to surprise another village. He would often approach enemy villages by unfrequented routes, at night, and then attack an hour before dawn to gain surprise. Despite these long and difficult marches it is said his army rarely had stragglers because soldiers who fell behind would lose their share of the loot. For most of his life Mirambo lead his armies personally, accompanied by a large white umbrella, and was said to be proud of the fact he would never allow anyone to out run him on the march.

Mirambo’s armies were mostly made up of troops called Ruga-Ruga these professional warriors came from a variety of sources escaped slaves, orphaned young men, tribeless bandits and elephant hunters. Mirambo preferred his soldiers to be young men without wives. As he explained to Stanley the unmarried youths ” have sharper eyes and a few words will give them the hearts of lions. In all my wars with the Arabs, it was an army of youths that gave me victory, boys without beards. Fifteen of my young men died in one day because I said I must have a certain red cloth that was thrown down as a challenge. No, no, give me youths for war in the open field and men for the stockaded village”.

The Ruga-Ruga dressed flamboyantly, red cloth was popular, and increasingly they incorporated Arab dress into their outfits along side beads and jewellery. They often wore bells and were frequently accompanied by drummers the noise from these being used as a form of psychological warfare against enemy villages. Mirambo attempted to supply his men with muskets but it seems there were never enough to go around so traditional weapons like spears, axes, knobkerrie and bows continued in use along side the guns. Shields quickly fell out of use probably because they weren’t compatible with carrying muskets. Tactically the Ruga-Ruga seemed happy to close to contact and fight hand to hand most likely after a volley of musketry. In battle against the Arabs at Wilyankuru in 1871 Mirambo’s Ruga-Ruga ambushed the Arabs from the long grass either side of a track, despite having guns, it seems they relied instead on the spears at close quarters according to Stanley many of the Arabs were stabbed.

As well as his Ruga-Ruga Mirambo had a Bodyguard of freed slaves 100 strong called the Waniakuru who were clothed in Arab style robes in red cloth with white and blue turbans. From this unit Mirambo drew his district governors whose rank was denoted by a shell hung from a strip of lion skin. When Mirambo captured a new village he would have all the loot collected, half he would give back, the other half he would distribute to his soldiers as payment. He would then have the village leaders killed and install his own governor.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Mirambo (Heaps of Corpses) painted.
« Reply #529 on: February 21, 2024, 08:02:09 AM »
Glad to see you back adding to this thread - and hope the break from it was worthwhile for those other projects.

Nice little report to go with those latest paint jobs.

Welcome back!

Now, kind sir, MORE!  lol

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #530 on: March 04, 2024, 04:49:41 PM »
I like those.  Well done!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #531 on: March 05, 2024, 12:04:32 PM »

Agreed, they look great.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #532 on: March 06, 2024, 01:09:12 AM »
I fell in love with Copplestone's Darkest Africa range (decades ago now if you can believe it). Ruga-Ruga are some of my favorites. Great job!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #533 on: March 06, 2024, 04:26:05 PM »
They do indeed look great.  Thank you for your highly informative posts.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #534 on: March 07, 2024, 02:25:48 AM »
Love the Darkest Africa range.  Great additions to your painting.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #535 on: March 07, 2024, 08:33:26 AM »
Nice one, Jon. I like how you've mixed things up a bit by including some figures from outside the Ruga Ruga range.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #536 on: March 10, 2024, 08:26:25 AM »
Thanks guys 👍

Nice one, Jon. I like how you've mixed things up a bit by including some figures from outside the Ruga Ruga range.

Yeah I got my inspiration from a 14 year old thread in LAF 😁

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=18461.0

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #537 on: March 10, 2024, 10:53:08 AM »
 :)

Wow, that was 14 years ago? Where did the day go?

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #538 on: March 10, 2024, 09:01:23 PM »
I’ve just discovered this thread and begun reading from page 1 and just wanted to say how fantastic the scenery there is, and how easy you make it sound and look!

Looking forward to gradually reading on and seeing the rest of the project.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #539 on: April 02, 2024, 05:35:17 AM »
I’ve just discovered this thread and begun reading from page 1 and just wanted to say how fantastic the scenery there is, and how easy you make it sound and look!

Looking forward to gradually reading on and seeing the rest of the project.

thank you