Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gripping Beast Normans  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: Gripping Beast Normans
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2019, 06:06:42 AM »
Aside from the actual armour, the models aren't too bad - but they simply aren't good enough.
Most heads and details look great if those are accurately represented in the actual plastic, but the larger sections like cloth and armour appear hastily created as if they wanted to save some time. Similarly, the infantry has several poses replicated in armoured and unarmoured variants, which just limits the variation plastics can otherwise offer. This last thing is something they also did with some of the various recent cavalry sets - set poses where only one or two different arms work per pose. It's a shame, as it can easily be mitigated with small changes. I like the inclusion of more stationary figures, but it could have had a more flexible right arm to also have it holding a leveled spear underhand or overhand, or a sword point down in an outstretched arm. Instead, now it's just one and the same figure holding one of three weapons in the same way. And an unarmoured figure doing the same again.

I do have to say though - good on them for including a scabbard with and without sword for a figure that has the option of holding a sword.  :) It's the little things.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2019, 07:26:01 AM »
GB have never been big on including extra bits on their sprues, but they were first movers on some of their plastic kits and their later kits so they made money.
It seems to me that they havent been keeping up with the market and just keep producing more of the same.
Their dark age/late roman heavy /goth noble cavalry boxes could have been one box with all the bits on a tightly packed sprue. Decent kits though, just a lot of missed potential.

I dont see these normans competing with Victrix or Conquest Games.

Apart from people who only play Saga and only buy miniatures at GB's website I cant imagine who their customers are supposed to be.

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
  • 1:72 enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 10:27:43 AM »
Out of interest and for review purposes I might pick up a box, but I share most of the sentiments. Their dark age archers kit was laughable at best (absolutely no extra bits, only the bare minimum), and I've been cold about their cavalry sets as well. It's a bit like they want to do metal minis in plastic for some reason.

I really don't like the bows and crossbows, and all of the figures look like they would be better suited for 1:35. Those ranged weapons are puny for 28mm, and will be very fragile. I hope they listen to feedback and tweak them.