Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:32:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690815
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Let's Play Italian Wars - Furioso Style  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
Let's Play Italian Wars - Furioso Style
« on: December 04, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2019/12/lets-play-italian-wars-furioso-style.html

The last few weeks has seen the new Italian Wars Project reach the table for a spot of play testing.

We tried a rule set called Furioso, which we all quite enjoyed. A few tweeks here and there but that's standard practice here at YG ! I think over the years only a couple of sets of rules have survived initial contact with the group.

I have included lots of pics in the blog post as usual plus a text explanation of the rules with some videos coming soon.

Enjoy

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Let's Play Italian Wars - Furioso Style
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 07:19:07 PM »
Lots of grand looking figures on display! Top work.

Good to read a report on Furiso, I got these rules a while ago, and gave them a good read, but haven’t played them yet.

Interesting point about the problems of high initiative units being stuck behind low ones - does feel that it could get blocked quite easily. Was your swapping of the scores just for units of the same type? It feels appropriate for the Gendarmes to be blocked by a much less keen infantry block, but not for several units of Gendarmes to be caught up in a round of ‘after your sir!’.

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:53:56 PM »
It's partially to do with how you set up obviously but we allowed it for all troop types, the main issue was skirmish troops who are generally lower class (in a number of ways !) stopping formed units from moving off.

Regards Ken

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 09:35:11 PM »
Makes sense, not much point in your own skirmish screen blocking your main troops

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 07:40:44 AM »
Thank you for a very interesting report. I have had the rules for some time now but have not tried them out yet. I get a bit but off when rules are very concerned about the number of bases or minatures to a unit. It was really nice to see that you guys just deployed your units as they were and played then with that number off bases. Much easier!

About the swapping of initiative. I would think that allowing unit to move through skirmisher makes good sence, but going through other combat units I am not sure. History is full off battles were more impetuous made trouble by trying to go through their own ranks.

Oh, and splendid model off course. I follow your thread when the army was painted. Fantastic!

Cheers
Erik

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 10:34:43 AM »
Thank you for a very interesting report. I have had the rules for some time now but have not tried them out yet. I get a bit but off when rules are very concerned about the number of bases or minatures to a unit. It was really nice to see that you guys just deployed your units as they were and played then with that number off bases. Much easier!

Ditto. Well said Erik.  Different basing systems have given more then one serious headache over the years  o_o

About the swapping of initiative. I would think that allowing unit to move through skirmisher makes good sence, but going through other combat units I am not sure. History is full off battles were more impetuous made trouble by trying to go through their own ranks.

True.

"Kill me these rabble!" Alencon at Crecy shortly before they ran down their own Genoese mercenaries!!

Offline nikephorous

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 07:26:00 AM »
Great report Ken, and the videos that go with it are truly brilliant. Looking forward to some more!
Who decided a 6 was good and a 1 was bad anyway?

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 01:59:44 PM »
Cheers, The videos haven't been officially "released" yet so well done for finding them on the Utube  :) ; glad they helped. I will put links up to them on here with a blog post next week.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer