Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:15:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black Seas Rigging Guide  (Read 1381 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Black Seas Rigging Guide
« on: December 07, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »
Following feedback from a series of recent posts I have done looking at the work completed on my collection of the new 1:700th ships from Warlord Games, I have put together a downloadable rigging guide.

As well as the standing rigging I like to include running rigging to the models and hopefully this step by step tutorial will enable those that want to do the same thing to have a go.

If that includes you, then you can find out more by following the link to JJ's

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2019/12/all-at-sea-rigging-tutorial.html

Jonathan (JJ)
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Black Seas Rigging Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 11:12:00 AM »
Thanks very much for that. It will come in very useful. Just about to start work on my ships. Cheers.   :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 11:57:42 AM »
Thanks for that. Downloaded!

I've jumped in with both feet and am now working on the French 1st Rate L'Orient. One of the first things I noted about the hull (which is magnificent, BTW), is that there are no points on it (such as holes and such) to run the standing rigging (back stays). This is probably due to the hull being one massive resin piece 4 inches long. So the first order of business will be to attach something or another at various critical points on the hull. Rigging this ship will require some prior planning and preparation.

I was planning to start a thread on it's construction... stay tuned. Have to see if my camera still works...  ::)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:08:02 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 05:10:51 PM »
Thanks for your comments chaps, I hope it proves useful.

Ray - I haven't seen any of the larger models other than in some of the unboxing videos doing the rounds at the moment. The Constitution didn't have rigging points on the hull either, but the resin was very amenable to working with a pin-vice and I had them sorted very quickly by drilling through the bulwarks, so I would assume you should be able to do the same.

I hope to start some work with the bigger ship models after Christmas.

All the best
JJ

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 02:35:51 AM »
Looking forward to see your next lot of ships. Sure they will look great.

For the L'Orient what I did was figure out where the ratlines would go and then I drilled a couple holes behind that position through the planking. I considered leaving it at that, but instead chopped up some needles and inserted them into the holes. So each set of masts will have 2 attachment points for the back stays on the same planking where the ratlines will go. Wasn't an elegant solution, but I think it will look okay.

I also cut off the dolphin striker (the vertical spar in the middle of the bowsprit) as it was too short and replaced it with a longer rod. The striker on the model would not allow you to rig a straight line from the tip of the bowsprit downwards to the striker as the furled sails would get in the way.

I'm having a lot of fun so far and hopefully will soon be able to get some paint on her and see what she will look like.

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »
Thanks for posting your guide. I am about to start rigging my ships but was unsure of whether to go with Warlord's or Langton's rigging guide, now I can use yours!

Also on the resin hulls Warlord does say in the rulebook guide that you have to drill the holes for the backstays. Not unlike the Langtons - just bigger!