Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:17:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689298
  • Total Topics: 118270
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Tekumel] Exploring Ngála - Part 2  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
[Tekumel] Exploring Ngála - Part 2
« on: December 08, 2019, 12:55:01 AM »
Ngála

An ancient city on Tekumel. I tried counting how old it is. The current empire, the Empire of the Petal Throne or Tsolyánu, is also known as the 2nd Imperium and is over 2000 years old; the empire previous to that was Éngsvan hla Gánga, "the Mighty and Powerful Empire" - the Empire of the Priest-Kings, which lasted 3000 years, give or take. Before that was the 1st Imperium, Nayari's Empire. That went on for 10,000 years after her death and Ngála was old even before Nayari founded her empire.

You can see it up at the top of this map...

https://heroesoftheage.blogspot.com/search/label/%C3%89ngsvan%20hla%20G%C3%A1nga

Of course, after 15,000 years nothing could possibly be still extant above ground, right? Yes, well, sure, if one were talking about an ordinary city. But Ngála was no ordinary city, and now is no ordinary ruins. We know the Temple of Hrihayel, the Dancing Maiden of Temptation, uses at least parts of the site for summoning demons so it is not a great leap to think the city as a whole is special.

Furthermore, there are probably multiple iterations of the city, possibly some distance apart as the city developed historically. My "take" is that there is Ngála, the ruins where the Hrihayel priestesses carry out their rituals. This is on the Nyelmayel river, the River of Dreams. At least in My Tekumel, it is! Your mileage may vary, as they say. It is sort of like a Tekumel version of Deadwood, or Bartertown, or the Five Points area on NYC in the 1800's.

Then there is Pála Ngála, literally "Old Ngála", which sprawls further to the West and comprises many of the older incarnations of the city spread over a large area.

Finally there is "Greater Ngála" - I still need to look this up in Tsolyáni.  ;)   Greater Ngála exists beyond this realm, in the realm of sleep: the Dreamlands. Greater Ngála exists as it was at its height, or as some version of it at its height, or possibly all versions; the priesthoods are still debating these points.

Anyway, this is my take on Ngála. In part 1, I start putting together a test city-scape.

This can be found here: https://heroesoftheage.blogspot.com/2019/12/exploring-ngala-part-1.html

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:27:23 PM by Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: [Tekumel] Exploring Ngála - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 01:44:58 AM »
Brilliant,and such a great setting,played a campaign back in the late 70s.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »
Well, off to search ebay for Mexican chess sets.

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 07:42:12 PM »
That style and 2 or 3 other styles are made for the tourist market. In the pics are a large style - and two of the pieces from the set at each corner - plus the pieces from a smaller style. And I bought a third style over 30 years ago in a tourist trap in Manzanillo. I probably paid about $50 but then I didn't have a clue how to bargain back then.

So I think the sets that show up on ebay must be picked up by people on vacation down South. But, my thinking is that there must be a company making these things. The question is: how to side-step ebay and get a line on the wholesalers?

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: [Tekumel] Exploring Ngála - Part 2 - The Tower of the Arch-Mage
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 07:26:47 PM »
Part 2 - the Tower of the Arch-Mage is now up:

https://heroesoftheage.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-tower-of-arch-mage-exploring-ngala.html

Wherein I make a rare attempt at crafting something!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [Tekumel] Exploring Ngála - Part 2
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:51:17 PM »
This forum is sadly deficient in "Like" and "Thumbs Up" buttons.  :)

But really, who doesn't know what Ngala is?  That's like not knowing to stay out of Snake Pipe Hollow, or being surprised to find lepers in Shucassam.  :)