Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:44:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Review: Land of the Free- Osprey Games  (Read 853 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Review: Land of the Free- Osprey Games
« on: December 09, 2019, 03:07:44 PM »
I have always had an interest in the War of 1812, especially on the frontier as it reached as far as Wisconsin and Prairie Du Chien.  I have been to visit the area a few times, so it had some personal resonance to me.  As part of approach eventually doing something in that period, I have been looking at various rules systems and what not.  This led me to pick up Land of the Free from Osprey Games.  My 1812 project is probably a decade or more away, but I figured I could look at some rulesets in the meantime. 

My full thoughts are below.  I admit that when reading the book, life forced me to do a number of starts and stops on the rules.  Therefore, I may be remembering a few things or my start/stop approached caused me to miss how some of the rules interlink.  However, I am pretty confident that I have a good feel for the rules and how they play.  If I am wrong, i am sure some readers will lead me to the right path.....

Onto the review...

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2019/12/review-land-of-free-osprey-games.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
Re: Review: Land of the Free- Osprey Games
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »
If you are interested in the War of 1812 I would recommend The Perfect Captain for rules. They have a battalion scale version called "Cousin Jonathan" and a company/platoon level set called "John Bull/Patriots!". The best part is the rules are free and come with color PDFs of unit cards which are nicely illustrated. Link below:

http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/captain.html

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
...and if you want to skirmish of course there's always Sharp Practice with the War of 1812 supplement. :)

That sounds like a very cool project indeed. There's something rather interesting about it, especially as wars "over there" always feel kinda detached (AWI, ACW, Mexican War, ...). The War of 1812 feels more like it's docking onto all the Napoleonic going-ons in Europe.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 11:08:15 AM »
 I am also interested in the War of 1812, and was not aware of these rules. Thanks for taking the time to write  a thorough review! After reading it though I had to conclude that I will be more than happy with Rebels and Patriots for my own 1812.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 02:37:01 PM »
Thanks for the rules shout-out guys! 

I will look into them.  I have been interested in Sharpe Practice for a bit, but have not gotten around to them yet. 

The others are new to me!  Kudos!