Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:09:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Polyfilla??  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
Polyfilla??
« on: December 09, 2019, 11:30:10 PM »
Hi guys,

Currently making up a permanent board for bolt action. Based on Normandy and after.

I was going to make permanent roads on my board and wonder if any of you have experience putting polyfilla onto MDF.

I was going to use that to get good texture on the roads. It would just be a thin cost that i could leave tire tracks etc in and flock up and make look nice.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Polyfilla??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »
Thin layers of polyfilla will flake off. You would either need to mix PVA, or use something like tile grout or tile adhesive which is stronger.
Or use one of the artists' acrylic texture pastes.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 12:17:16 PM »
I used emulsion paint with sand sprinkled in , then draw a screwdriver through it to place your ruts . The sand and paint mixture can be built up in successive layers to the required effect . I made a dozen 2’ x 2’ boards over 20 years ago and nothing has ever flaked off . I also got the paint made up at a B&Q store , a greenish / ochre mix as I remember it .  I applied it all with a really cheap set of brushes from a discount store , ranging from 4” to 1/2 “.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 12:47:53 PM »
I use filler, but the cheaper wilko stuff, I add PVA glue to it to give it more grip. I have also added paint and sand to it. For roads you'd likely have to prep the area before applying, PVA would likely work well. ;)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 01:31:33 PM »
Yes adding pva not only gives strength but flexibility.....ie it won’t chip as much and will take more abuse.  Another tip, mix in some brown  paint (powdered or wet) before you lay it, then, if it does chip, you won’t get those glaring white bits showing through.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 11:31:56 PM »
Buy your filler as dry powder and use only latex (household) paint and pva to mix it, no water. Mark where the roads will go and score the MDF inside the roadways with a craft knife to give the filler mix a good key. It won't flake off.

You can also mix fine sand and grit, dried tea leaves, coffee grinds etc with the powder to give a better texture for drybrushing later.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 02:56:58 AM »
You could try wood filler.  It bonds like glue to mdf and is considerably strong.  Comes in different colours and is paintable.

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 02:42:32 PM »
Thanks guys. I have a spare bit of MDF which I will practice on before committing to my board.

I'll get some pictures up of progress etc at some point over the next four weeks.