Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:46:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 775
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How do Mirliton's Medieval/Renaissance shields compare with Perry Italian ones?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
From Perry Miniatures:

From Mirliton:

I don't have anything but drawings... :-I

What's the difference between #91 and #94?

How do these compare with the Perry ones? Same size, bigger or smaller? Any details on the reverse, like handles and/or attachment point?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Hi mate,

I think in general it's a safe bet that the Perry Italian Shields will be from a more up to date source.

I know that doesn't really answer your question but in terms of size I'm guessing that the Perry shields are a better 'fit'. Then again, you would have to factor in that Perry Miniatures are slighter then most other contemporary manufacturers......

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Hi mate,

I think in general it's a safe bet that the Perry Italian Shields will be from a more up to date source.

I know that doesn't really answer your question but in terms of size I'm guessing that the Perry shields are a better 'fit'. Then again, you would have to factor in that Perry Miniatures are slighter then most other contemporary manufacturers......
There are only so many ways to cast a curved or flat and oval or round shield...

The Perry sprue looks like a selection of flat and curved ovals and a sprue of flat rounds, while flat and curved could be purchased separately from Mirliton. If I'm not mistaken Mirliton and Perry match in height, but not sure if this is for every range. Maybe it's the paint job, but the Mirliton faced don't look right...

Perry would be my preference for shields, but I'm looking to add something to offset the 11 Euro shipping charge in future orders from Mirliton. After viewing Pete's Monday, 6 August 2012 blogpost, in which he added Mirliton helmet crests to Venexia knights, I ordered three packs at 2.82 Euros each, with the total coming to over $20USD - cheaper shipping if these had been available in the UK. 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
There are only so many ways to cast a curved or flat and oval or round shield...

The Perry sprue looks like a selection of flat and curved ovals and a sprue of flat rounds, while flat and curved could be purchased separately from Mirliton. If I'm not mistaken Mirliton and Perry match in height, but not sure if this is for every range. Maybe it's the paint job, but the Mirliton faced don't look right...

Yeah, you're right, they look very dated!

Perry would be my preference for shields, but I'm looking to add something to offset the 11 Euro shipping charge in future orders from Mirliton. After viewing Pete's Monday, 6 August 2012 blogpost, in which he added Mirliton helmet crests to Venexia knights

Wow! Pete's really onto something there! They fit the plastic Perry knights really well! It's certainly an idea that is worth borrowing from.

I ordered three packs at 2.82 Euros each, with the total coming to over $20USD - cheaper shipping if these had been available in the UK.

Yeah I know what you mean. It's a bummer! I am desperate to order some of the Ian Weekley Vatican Enterprises buildings but although the postage costs are reasonable considering the bulk, it's still a wee bit expensive, especially if the package gets caught up at Customs (which tends to happen to large packages) :(

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Yeah, you're right, they look very dated!
The bodies look fine, but the heads look like blow-up dolls, though not as bad as Curteys' bobble-headed Mongols. lol

Wow! Pete's really onto something there! They fit the plastic Perry knights really well! It's certainly an idea that is worth borrowing from.
Forgot to mention Perry and they'll Citadel and Foundry figures too.

I think the S-shaped crests might be associated with Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta's men-at-arms, but the crest in the right background indicates livery colors would be the determiner. ??? I would've liked the crescent moon to have been included in the selection - is it depicted as athwart or fore-and-aft? Maybe using 3-dimensiomnal samurai crests or sashimono? I'll post up pics whenever I receive the order, it's still in transit since December 22 - would've liked more detailed tracking.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I see what you mean, it's pretty clear what the crests look like from the illustration.

TBH, I would just make them out of pasticard if they are as flat as they look. What do you think?

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
I see what you mean, it's pretty clear what the crests look like from the illustration.

TBH, I would just make them out of pasticard if they are as flat as they look. What do you think?
I was going to use plasticard for horsehair crests, though TBH I still haven't gotten the hang of working with the material, especially the thicker sheets - bought some thin sheets to use as cloth barding on Perry plastic horses. I don't think the crescent is supposed to be flat, due to the outlining/shading around the crest. The same figure appears in the lower left in this illustration and I'm now convinced the crest is mounted side to side - the illustrator has difficulty with perspective.

Based on these Battle of Piombino illustrations and the reconstructions Massimo Predonzani's blog, even if the design on the men-at-arm's "coat" and horse barding differed, the crests were color coded: Malatesta's being red, white and green for instance. 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I was going to use plasticard for horsehair crests, though TBH I still haven't gotten the hang of working with the material, especially the thicker sheets - bought some thin sheets to use as cloth barding on Perry plastic horses. I don't think the crescent is supposed to be flat, due to the outlining/shading around the crest. The same figure appears in the lower left in this illustration and I'm now convinced the crest is mounted side to side - the illustrator has difficulty with perspective.

Based on these Battle of Piombino illustrations and the reconstructions Massimo Predonzani's blog, even if the design on the men-at-arm's "coat" and horse barding differed, the crests were color coded: Malatesta's being red, white and green for instance.

Looking again, I think you're right about the crest being orbicular. Maybe Milliput would be easier for sharper edges. It can be carved too.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:28:25 PM by Atheling »

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
I have  few Mirliton spare parts packs including shields (but no crests) - https://www.vexillia.com/mirliton/shop25_weapons.html#t-1 - they are now 25% off.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
For what its worth, the Mirliton crests fit Ok to selected Perry helms.
These pics are from an aspirational project I had to do some 15th century Italians.
I overlaid green stuff to the Perry horse bard, for cloth coverings.
Sadly I've never got paint on the ones I did - yet!

Simon.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
For what its worth, the Mirliton crests fit Ok to selected Perry helms.
These pics are from an aspirational project I had to do some 15th century Italians.
I overlaid green stuff to the Perry horse bard, for cloth coverings.
Sadly I've never got paint on the ones I did - yet!

Simon.
Your aspiration has become my inspiration to achieve my aspiration!

The Mirliton crests look large and sturdy enough for armets and sallets from a variety of manufacturers - good to know I didn't waste my money. :) On the cloth covering, wouldn't that raised thin flap snap/tear off in an accident?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
EDIT: It's Magister Militum that are attending York and not Mirliton.

My bad!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:32:10 AM by Atheling »

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
How do these compare with the Perry ones?

Very well in my opinion: Colleoni condotta or Condotta
 ;)
I mixed heads, weapons and shields easily, I used both Mirliton's range: historical and former Grenadier, also some GW bits.
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Very well in my opinion: Colleoni condotta or Condotta
 ;)
I mixed heads, weapons and shields easily, I used both Mirliton's range: historical and former Grenadier, also some GW bits.

Awesome!

Since you have the Mirliton infantry, do the oval shields have any details on the back, like the Perry oval ones?

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
Since you have the Mirliton infantry, do the oval shields have any details on the back, like the Perry oval ones?

Did you mean some sort of handle/grip? If so: yes, and like the Perry ones they are plain, no wood planks engraved.
Ciao