Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:12:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Jungle in Training"  (Read 2924 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
"Jungle in Training"
« on: December 16, 2019, 06:00:56 AM »
Able to take some photos of the lions share of what I've been laying in towards a jungle building project - there is more scattered about the homestead, this is just what was in one easy access location.  Digits can take the credit or get the blame for this - his jungle building thread over on the Pulp page is PHENOMENAL!  If I can get half way to where he's gotten, I'll be thrilled.  At least I was inspired to take some photos and start thinking more seriously.

Here is the link to the blog with some more photos and a little bit on the source of much of the material:

https://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com

Enjoy your perusal if you choose to do so - and I welcome constructive input as well.

Thanks.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
Re: "Jungle in Training"
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:11:15 PM »
Looks like a few successful expeditions [around town] there.  That container top is a gem of a find!

15s>, are the grey durable hills the same?  If so, you could consider cutting them down to different heights, then achieving additional variety to their appearance.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 01:21:08 PM »
Hey, don’t go blaming me fella, I can’t help it you are weak willed!

Seriously though, best of luck.  Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 01:31:33 AM »
Wow, I would love to get my hands on one of the Ross tree sets you’ve got there.

Was it among the pet/aquarium stuff?

Thanks

Dan

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 02:20:14 AM »
Dan, no, in the toy section - mixed in with dinosaurs.  The ones from Ross are the ones farthest from view in the shot.  The closer, taller trees were from SprawlMart as I call it.  Those, too, were in the toy area.  Of course, either set might be found somewhere else like Big Lots if you have those in your area.  I always walk through toy areas just in case.  Found lots of useable stuff that way.  Good luck finding the stuff - that's why I shared, so others might track similar items down.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 02:29:50 AM »
Ross trees? Not sure what they are?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 05:19:48 AM »
What, you haven't been introduced to Ross, the tree?  Oh, how very sad.    :'(

Or, Ross is a chain of stores here in the United States (as far as I know just US) and some of the trees I bought were purchased at one of those stores.  The trees, if you follow the link in the OP, were not created by Ross, just sold through that store.  Ditto trees sold through SprawlMart (aka WalMart).   ;)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 05:21:40 AM »
Thanks for the info. Out of reach for an Aussie unless visiting.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 02:05:28 PM »
Just checked and according to Wikipedia there is a Ross store in Guam - about as close to Australia as they get.  Again, if you look at the link to my blog there are photos of the tubs the items came in, perhaps you can use that information to search for alternative sellers of the items that just might lead to an Australian source.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 02:53:41 PM »
OK, we have similar in our K-Mart stores, I will go hunting.

Just checked and according to Wikipedia there is a Ross store in Guam - about as close to Australia as they get.  Again, if you look at the link to my blog there are photos of the tubs the items came in, perhaps you can use that information to search for alternative sellers of the items that just might lead to an Australian source.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 03:42:59 PM »
Dan, being sometimes slow on the uptake, I realized you might have been referring to the items at the front of the photo - the tree i performed surgery on to create three 'canopies' plus the trunk.  Those are found in the fake plants in the housewares area of Ross stores and can be in wood, plastic, or ceramic containers stuffed with that nasty bead foam and usually with some small, shiny stones hot gun glued in place.  The big one's base had a tapered threaded bit below the ground spreading trunks screwed into the foam.  I've also found a few that didn't make it into the photo that will make single trees.

The two trunks bare of foliage were found at a Michael's store mixed with the stuff for making faerie villages - in this case with faces on the main trunks.

Besides Ross and Michaels, try Big Lots, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, and Marshals - maybe TJ Maxx.  Not so much luck of late in the dollar stores but in times past I've found useful items.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 05:54:29 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 12:14:30 AM »
Fifteens,
We do indeed have a couple of Ross stores on Guam. I usually refer to it as the Ladies Store as there are a large group of chairs and benches out front where all the men sit and wait for their other half to finish shopping (no beer though, darn it). I guess I will have to take the plunge and brave the crowds to see if I can get some of these trees! lol lol
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 06:01:40 PM »
Dan, being sometimes slow on the uptake, I realized you might have been referring to the items at the front of the photo - the tree i performed surgery on to create three 'canopies' plus the trunk.  Those are found in the fake plants in the housewares area of Ross stores and can be in wood, plastic, or ceramic containers stuffed with that nasty bead foam and usually with some small, shiny stones hot gun glued in place.  The big one's base had a tapered threaded bit below the ground spreading trunks screwed into the foam ...

Thanks so much!  I’ll have to give those sections of our local Ross stores a check.

Dan

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 01:06:32 AM »

Another photo of three more trees with some 'built-in' lianas.  More on the blog but just of raw materials, nothing earth shattering.  There is an item or two on the blog that might interest a few in a view, though.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 01:20:53 AM »
They look good.  How high are they?