Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:17:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord SPQR  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
Warlord SPQR
« on: December 19, 2019, 10:03:02 PM »
Hi,

I already have a collection of ancient figures and am looking to get a simple set of rules to play Slaves vs Romans.

What are the general thoughts on the Warlord SPQR  game?

Ta

SB

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
Re: Warlord SPQR
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 07:26:02 PM »
Mediocre. Almost random collection of ideas, with multiple minor but annoying quirks.

The list of armies is based on Warlords range and not any coherent assessmemt of periods.

Haven't tried the campaign/progression rules yet, but it is clearly based on the old Judge Dredd system, which was terrible.

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 09:13:31 PM »
Although I have quite enjoyed the rules. They aimed at specific war bands. Romans are well catered for. You would need to work out your own stats for the slaves. The hero characteristics would be transferable to any army. The rules do lend themselves to a campaign and hero progression. The rules are ok and very easy to pick up. They involve lots of dice. There are enough scenarios in the book that I am sure they could be bent to the slave revolt. Probably best to see if you can borrow a set of rules and see if you can adapt them. I think the rules are a bit marmite in taste. (Sorry, if you don’t understand that statement, it is a very English saying).

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 09:58:09 PM »
Thanks a lot, I'll probably stick to butchered WHAB.....at least I know them

Cheers

SB

ps I live about 10 miles from the place where Marmite is made.......

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 07:53:14 AM »
Just a thought,  But you could try Warlords of Erehwon. I believe Rick Priestley has just done a Roman list. He supports the rules on his website.

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 09:00:12 AM »
I have heard good things about Clash of Spears, due out in February. Plan to have a game this week with a local kickstarter backer.

Can't be worse than SPQR...

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »
Hi,

Please let me know how it goes.

ta

SB

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 10:44:41 AM »
Just a thought,  But you could try Warlords of Erehwon. I believe Rick Priestley has just done a Roman list. He supports the rules on his website.

I liked Warlords of Erehwon possibly because I know Bolt Action so the rules were familiar. I was not keen on the general fantasy approach so I was hoping a historical version would be forthcoming. I don’t know much about SPQR but it looked to be pitched at similar sized games which made me think a historical WoE wouldn’t be out soon, so now encouraged by this news of a Roman list  :)

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 01:36:00 PM »
Yes try WoE.
Failing that the new set from Two Fat Lardies looks promising...
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 02:33:15 AM »
I have heard good things about Clash of Spears, due out in February. Plan to have a game this week with a local kickstarter backer.

Can't be worse than SPQR...

we don’t have slave revolt in clash but the point and design system will be open so you can come up with valid lists

Here is a quick video preview... not a full game , just a bit to understand core mechanics..

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 02:41:59 AM by seldon »

Offline Tokhuah

• Assistant
  • Wicked Lich of the West
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 05:31:48 AM »
I bought into SPQR and I do not regret the purchase of models, which I will be using to play Clash of Spears.  While it is true that the Clash rulebooks will not arrive until February, they already provided the full rulebook in PDF to KS backers.  My playgroup is digging through the rules and they are fantastic.  We have already made lists and are looking forward to getting armies on the table.  No reason to play SPQR.

Comparing Clash of Spears to SPQR is like college to middle school.  If you want an emersive historic wargame on a smaller scale: Clash.  If you want a light Hollywood romp into something that looks historic on the surface then SPQR may be for you.

Warlord Games and Games Workshop are model marketing companies not game design companies.  It is a fools errand to pick up Warlords of Erehwon because it will lead you to nowhere, as indicated by spelling the name backwards...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 05:34:10 AM by Tokhuah »
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 07:40:23 AM »
You probably can't go wrong with WHAB (especially since there is an entire book dedicated to the subject 'Spartacus'). 

Clash of Spears is something that definitely seems worth looking forward to (tonnes of playtesting). 

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 08:53:24 AM »
I have the WHAB Spartacus supplement

At the moment I use a cut down version of WHAB - to make them more skirmish but still allow leadership etc to affect the battles.

Its largely to do with having the space to do a game and a son with the attention span of a gnat....but 4' x 4' is doable (if that's a word)

Thanks

SB

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »
Played  Clash today and was very disappointed. Will comment further in the relevant thread, but my high hopes were dashed.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 05:40:48 PM »
Silent Bob- You should PM me.  I may have something of interest to you related to Spartacus using the Men of Bronze rule system.

Hush, hush and Top Secret and all that...... 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing