Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:35:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord SPQR  (Read 4002 times)

Offline The Wolf

• Schoolboy
    • Chronicles of War
Re: Warlord SPQR
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 10:34:59 PM »
As someone coming from Games Workshop games, do people think this would be a good intro to Ancients wargaming? I'm tempted to pick it up just for the minis alone at the price I can get it for.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 03:11:16 AM »
As someone coming from Games Workshop games, do people think this would be a good intro to Ancients wargaming? I'm tempted to pick it up just for the minis alone at the price I can get it for.

I say always the more ancient minis the better :)

If you try SPQR and it is not your cup of tea you can try CLASH that is more WAB based...

And if not there are many other rules you can get...

Ancient gaming is fun... I grew up with WHFB 3rd Edition so I don’t see any obstacles for you...

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 06:44:14 AM »

I have read some people stating their local game shops are trying to sell the SPQR boxed set at half price.  For that amount, it may be worth it for the miniatures.

Mind you, if they are already selling it for half, it may soon be less (but I would not expect those sellers to ever restock the item again if they are selling it for what they paid for it).

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 09:32:47 AM »
I have read some people stating their local game shops are trying to sell the SPQR boxed set at half price.  For that amount, it may be worth it for the miniatures.

Mind you, if they are already selling it for half, it may soon be less (but I would not expect those sellers to ever restock the item again if they are selling it for what they paid for it).

Sounds like I chose a really poor time to pick up a copy  :(

I was actually searching the forum to see if anyone on here was playing SPQR, but it sounds like the rules aren't particularly popular, and the game seems to have disappeared without a trace.

As I flipped through the rules I noticed that there wasn't a Carthaginian Faction... probably won't be picked up in a later expansion if the game is a flop.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 07:05:59 PM »
Hey hey.. do not despair :)

We have Carthaginains !!  ... and Italians, and Numidians, and Iberians, and Greeks and Ligurians and Gauls... and everything western mediterranean 4th to 2nd century BC  ( and it is skirmish level game )

www.clashofspears.com  ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/clashofspears/clash-of-spears )

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:07:33 PM by seldon »

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 11:12:09 AM »
Sounds like I chose a really poor time to pick up a copy  :(

I was actually searching the forum to see if anyone on here was playing SPQR, but it sounds like the rules aren't particularly popular, and the game seems to have disappeared without a trace.

As I flipped through the rules I noticed that there wasn't a Carthaginian Faction... probably won't be picked up in a later expansion if the game is a flop.

Although I am 50-50 about the system, I have found it works better with more points than suggested in the rules, and also using the current errata. The amount of scenario's is also good value as it gives plenty of gaming ideas. It is difficult to determine if the system is popular or get much advice as every discussion about SPQR on this forum just gets hijacked by fanboys advertising Clash of Spears!
I believe Warlord did bring out some Germanic Warriors sets recently but their focus always seems to be on their cash cows Blackpowder and Bolt Action.

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »
I was never sold on it from the videos that Warlord themselves put out. It seemed like it was just 2-3 units and a leader per side and after one round of combat that was the end of the game.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 03:51:02 PM »
I was never sold on it from the videos that Warlord themselves put out. It seemed like it was just 2-3 units and a leader per side and after one round of combat that was the end of the game.

I think their plan was that games would be that quick so you could go into the campaign part. They were probably hoping that people could play about 3 games in an afternoon and see the characters develop...
That is not a bad concept, it is different than what other people might expect.

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2020, 10:37:57 PM »
It is difficult to determine if the system is popular or get much advice as every discussion about SPQR on this forum just gets hijacked by fanboys advertising Clash of Spears!

I'm sure Clash of Spears is great, it looked a little heavy on "bookkeeping" for my tastes, but I've got to say that it certainly seems to inspire a huge amount of social media and forum posts, can't seem to open up facebook without a post plugging Clash.

I think their plan was that games would be that quick so you could go into the campaign part. They were probably hoping that people could play about 3 games in an afternoon and see the characters develop...

I have started so many campaigns that have barely managed 2 sessions for Dux Brit, Empire of the Dead, Frostgrave, Burrows and Badgers etc, that a campaign in an afternoon would be very appealing.
I live in a one bed flat at the moment, so ancient games with multiple 40 man strong warband units is not an option. - not when I've got about 400 Renaissance men at arms, 15mm WW2, SAGA, Frostgrave, Cruel Seas and three or four other boxes to hide from the other half!

If there was sufficient interest I would have a look at calculating and play testing a Carthage faction and posting here as an unofficial list?

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2020, 09:07:23 AM »

You see... games like that with a semi-enforced campaign system personally turn me off.