Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ral Partha African animals how do they size up?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Ral Partha African animals how do they size up?
« on: December 20, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »
I'm looking for some wildlife to populate my sub Saharan African games. I know Foundry and North Star do some African animals but I noticed Ral Partha (Europe) also have some that look very nice.

Price wise they are a bit cheaper (especially the giraffes) than other offerings, out there, but I have a sneaky suspicion this is because they are going to be on the small side compared to 28mm miniatures. Has anyone used the Ral Partha animals and how do they size up to the various ranges of Darkest Africa miniatures out there? any help gratefully received :) 

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Ral Partha African animals how do they size up?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:19:01 AM »
I only own the elephant, but that one is a really nice piece, sculpt-wise, and sizes realistically with Foundry figures. It may not be the tallest of African elephants, but it would work perfectly for a younger bull.

I'll take a picture later this afternoon if you want.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 09:40:16 AM »
thanks for the reply a photo would be great if you have the time.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 02:55:29 PM »
Like people, animals vary in size.  And in the case of animals there are no weapons to worry about that variation in size.  If you like them, buy them.  Seen them used in a game and they looked quite good.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »
Like people, animals vary in size.  And in the case of animals there are no weapons to worry about that variation in size.  If you like them, buy them.  Seen them used in a game and they looked quite good.

That's a fair point so far the animals I've collected from North star are all exactly the same size, like some strange Victorian sci-fi cloning machine produced them, so a bit of variation might not be a bad thing . On the other hand I would like them to look like imposing specimens of their type especially ones like the giraffe, elephant and lions I might in a future date use them for hunting games and it wouldn't do for my great white hunter to taking down juveniles and stunted pygmy versions of his favourite prey   ;)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 03:41:17 PM »
these are very good figurines and fit with the other 28mm manufacturers .

;)
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 06:56:45 PM »
Sorry for the delay, and please find below the comparison shot of young Master Stompy, mounted on a 50mm washer, going postal on some ruddy colonialists, from left to right: Pulp Figures, Wargames Foundry, Copplestone Castings.

As said, he may not be tall enough for a full-grown bull, but I still think it is an excellent sculpt. The North Star African animals (those which I have seen so far, e.g. buffalo) are also very good, but for the smaller ones (antelopes etc.), I think the Ral Partha ones are still the most lifelike, and a herd of their antelopes would look smashing (apart from the limited number of poses).

Be advised, though, that my casting (bought in 2010, IIRC) had a rather prominent mouldline running along its back and down the ears, which may take some work. The tusks are separate and should be posed carefully to avoid looking derpy.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 07:20:36 PM »

I have the RP gazelle (see below) plus their giraffe, wildebeests, and some others I don’t recall. Perfect for 28mm, but are smaller/slighter than Foundry.

The gorillas are Foundry, and rhino and hippo are Mojo Minis. Can’t remember who does the jackals.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 08:32:51 PM »
Some low quality phone pics.
Hippo and crocodile with Foundry DA model and also with a bones lioness.
To my mind they are on the small side, but they're nice models

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 09:13:13 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys the pictures are very useful. looking at them I think I will invest in a few after Christmas.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 01:29:48 AM »
Might I also direct you towards Irregular Miniatures - they have an extensive range of animals.  They paint up just fine and add much to the options.