Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:38:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark. Anyone into it?  (Read 12299 times)

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
Oathmark. Anyone into it?
« on: December 21, 2019, 07:00:52 PM »
I'm loving the whole clasdic fantasy look and feel of the upcoming Oathmark game. Anyone giving it a go?
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Oathmark. Anyone into it?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 07:03:18 PM »
Most likely yes. I'll probably be using my Game of Thrones models to play it, but the Middle Earth style is appealing as well.

Quite looking forward to seeing the plastic releases in 2020.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 07:08:30 PM »
I'll definitely be buying it. Whether I end up playing it at all is another matter.

Looking forward to the new plastic releases for it too.

Offline bonewolf22

• Student
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 05:18:24 AM »
I only have a vague idea of how the game itself is meant to be played, though the fact that it can scale between engagements of 5 man units up to full on regimental battles along with having a nation-building themed campaign system sounds really interesting. It also has supplements coming in later 2020 according to their Facebook page which bodes well for future support. I'll definitely give the game a shot.

The models Northstar has released so far are fantastic, I love the classic tolkenesque look to them, and they are what have really gotten my attention. I'm picking up the dwarves soon. Even if the game itself ends up being not to my taste (I primarily play SAGA), as long as the models keep coming I wish the game the best of luck.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »
Like their Goblins. Might be tempted into playing it if is not just another KoW, Warlords of Erehwon of WFB thingy. Main thing will be if it's playable with about 50-60 models or if 200+ are needed ( if so, then it's not for me ).
Leadhead

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 03:25:02 PM »
I've jumped in.
Got one each of the initial Dwarf, goblin, human and Elf boxes.

Almost all painted too!

Probably double that and then add one box each of the 2nd wave of releases for those factions.

The figures are amazing and I hope the rules are too!

But if not, Dragon Rampant or  Warhammer will make do.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 07:42:26 PM »
I did play a game of Oathmark when it was in an early play-test phase. I won't give anything away for obvious reasons, but suffice to say that it wasn't anything like WFB, was way more enjoyable than KOW (which I really don't like) and, although it had things to iron out (all rules do in early play-test phases) I'm confident it'll be a decent contender to sit happily amongst the other Fantasy rule sets out there. I think it'll have plenty of appeal.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 08:16:48 PM »
I'm unlikely to play a rank-n-flank fantasy game anytime soon.  I like the Oathmark goblins okay, though they're a little scant.  I'm not feeling the rest of the range, but it's very nice to have options.

My primary concern was hearing that the humans/elves are more 25/28 than 28/32 (the more common Warhammer Fantasy-esque scale).  Is that true?  I know my goblins are rather scant, but they're...goblins.

I will say the kit layout for the goblins is superb, allowing 30 goblins with a variety of weapon options for the entire unit.  From a gamer perspective, building an army with these boxes would be excellent/easy if I was into that style game.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
    • Edinburgh Miniature Company
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »
I'll be giving it a try. Unlikely I'll use the miniatures however, I'm sculpting up some 18mm scale fantasy ranges to use instead.

Mass battles with 30mm scale takes up too much space for my liking.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 09:34:05 AM »
I'm unlikely to play a rank-n-flank fantasy game anytime soon.  I like the Oathmark goblins okay, though they're a little scant.  I'm not feeling the rest of the range, but it's very nice to have options.

My primary concern was hearing that the humans/elves are more 25/28 than 28/32 (the more common Warhammer Fantasy-esque scale).  Is that true?  I know my goblins are rather scant, but they're...goblins.

I will say the kit layout for the goblins is superb, allowing 30 goblins with a variety of weapon options for the entire unit.  From a gamer perspective, building an army with these boxes would be excellent/easy if I was into that style game.

They are a bit smaller than GW, yes, but I wouldn't call them 25 mm. 28mm without the scale creep maybe. You can with some thought mix them with say 6th edition Warhammer bits, and bits from other fantasy and historical 28mms. I have a bunch of examples in my Game of Thrones and Age of Magic logs of kitbashing with them.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 10:19:38 AM »
It looks interesting. I hear good things about the plastic sets although particularly for the goblins, I wish Northstar would add some pictures on their website of some of the make up options such as the Perrys do for their plastic sets.

As for Tolkienesque massed fantasy battles, I would be tempted to go down the Copplestone Castings 10mm route as these are amazing sculpts.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »
The Oathmark Goblins do need careful assembly to avoid slightly weird poses (according to a mate of mine who is currently building some) but once done, they look excellent.
They also kit bash really well with GW LOTR Orcs and even Gripping Beast plastic Dark Age models. Remember, Orcs are meant to be slightly smaller than men/Elves and have disproportionate limb sizes, etc (if you follow the Tolkien version) so the opportunities are endless at 28mm scale for pretty unique Orc armies if one has the patience to kit bash...

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
    • Edinburgh Miniature Company
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 02:30:37 PM »
The goblins are great, by far the best plastic set to come out of Northstar.

Everything else is so so to me, they have the same short stumpy style shared by the Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago kits.

All great for kit bashing skirmish collection but assembling a hundred or so for a mass battle game doesn't sound like fun.

The campaign rules seem to be a big part of the game, winning and exploiting territory, recruiting more troops, etc. which will be interesting to see.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 03:23:38 PM »
Everything else is so so to me, they have the same short stumpy style shared by the Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago kits.

this ...

Offline Pascal

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 03:44:43 PM »
I have purchased the plastic kits to be used in other games.

I want to see more about Oathmark.  I am not into large mass battle games but some of the features I heard are coming sound interesting (recruiting, world building).  I rather stick to some quick skirmish games rather than a large multi-hour game.  Looking forward to see more and as well as some battle reports.

Honestly, I am more interested in Frostgrave 2.0 and just recently received Dragon Rampant: Fantasy Wargaming Rules and someone I game with just gave me Ragnorak so I will be reading those rule sets this week.

My normal gaming group is still working through the current Frostgrave Supplements so happy just to play Frostgrave right now.