Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:01:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Johnno's Journey into Oathmark  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Johnno's Journey into Oathmark
« on: January 28, 2020, 12:43:59 PM »
When Northstar started teasing Oathmark and the new plastic lines, something deep in the recess of my brain clicked. I modestly backed each of the first four Nickstarters, for one box of infantry each and that free metal figure.

Like all good hobby purchases, they sat, NIB on my hobby desk of shame for months. It wasn’t until the second round of releases started to be announced that I decided to get my act together.

Without having the rules available, I was hesitant and settled on 10 each armed with bow, spear and hand weapons. The hand weapon armed unit has a captain-y type figure and banner bearer as well.

Building figures before the rule set caused a little anxiety. There were no point values or weapon attributes available to see the strength or weakness of what I was putting together. However my plan is to add a second box of infantry later so I'm fairly confident that I will probably have a well-rounded force in the end.

Anyways, on to the pictures. And as always, excuse the poor photos. I really need to dust off that light box I built.

This is that versatility I was talking about. This photo is one box of Oathmark Human Infantry. For roughly $45.00 CDN I'd say the value here is excellent.

Here are the 10 swordsmen. I like most of the poses. I left the shields off during painting and attached them later. What I didn't realize is that some of the soldiers are literally hiding behind their shields. The figure with the axe (second from left in the rear row) is a prime example. I just need to stay cognizant of that in the future.

My plan for the banner bearer is kind of up in the air. I like the House Mormont sigil (Black Bear on a green field). But I don't want to fork out the $$ for several flags. I'll probably try my hand at making my own.

If you look closely at the rear row, only one figure is actually holding his arrow properly. I don't know what I was thinking at the time. Live and learn. I'm kind of embarrassed. I actually own a bow and have used it, but in my defense, it has been quite a while.

Once I get some games in these guys will be either super accurate or at least I'll have a good argument for why I can't roll dice to save my life. "They can't even hold their arrows correctly, how am I supposed to roll a 6?"

Lastly the spearmen. Not much to see here aside from some high held shields. At least I'm consistent. I picked up a loose sprue on eBay so will be adding another rank, with a captain and banner bearer.

That's all for now, I have some Elves waiting to be based and flocked.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Re: Johnno's Journey into Oathmark
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 04:17:10 PM »
Looks like a promising start to a new army!

I have a box of Oathmark goblins sitting in my box of shame and the corresponding shaman, champion and musician!

Got them for encounters in Frostgrave but looking forward to what Oathmark will be. I liked the picture they put in the development blog earlier this year! Gave me some early warhammer fantasy vibes.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 03:20:39 AM »
Thanks scatterbrains!

I still have an old edition of Warhammer (5th iirc) and several of the army books. I might break those out to give my fantasy bug a whirl until Oathmark is released.

You should get them built! They are a nice kit! I have a box of Goblins (and Dwarves) being commission painted now. Keeps the lead mountain lower, I paint one, you paint one.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »
Looking really good. I'm holding off on painting my humans until I've powered through some of my backlog, but I'm eager to get into them. Such a wonderful kit. I think you will be ok with the weapon options & the rules, from all the previews and tidbits on facebook the rules do sound good but much like frostgrave, should be relaxed enough that they should be flexible enough to cover what's in the boxes.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 01:53:05 PM »
Looking good! Admittedly I love the Oathmark minis in general....
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 01:54:01 PM »
Looking really good. I'm holding off on painting my humans until I've powered through some of my backlog.

Thank you. Luckily these were the next in line in my backlog  ;)

Looking good! Admittedly I love the Oathmark minis in general....

Thank you. I fully agree, except for  the metal Elves... :?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:12:27 PM by Johnno »

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »
A good looking set of models out of just one box, thanks for sharing the pics and information with us! Now, these would make fine rank'n'file human warriors for most of the Warhammer human armies (Bretonnia, Norsca, even backwardish areas of Empire), methinks...

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 11:24:18 AM »
Here are the first box of the Elf Infantry. I have a second box that needs building

Here are two units of 10 Elf spearmen (Or maybe Spearelves?). All are stock figures using parts from the box.

Here is (yes another) unit of 10 Elf spearmen. However they have white plumes on their helmets and white gloves. My plan is to use these as a Royal Guard of sorts. The champion’s arm is a basic conversion using a standard sword arm with the Champion sword arm. I couldn't have three Elf captains with the same sword-pointed-to-the-sky pose.

Lastly the group shot.

With the second box I have on my desk and the sprue from eBay, I'll add 5 more Spearmen to each unit, and two units of 10 Archers.

But I've been busy building Goblins on Wolves and Heavy Dwarf Infantry so those will be painted next.

These guys have been done for a while but I haven't gotten around to flicking them until yesterday.

Meanwhile, my Dwarf and Goblin boxes have now been painted and just need to be based.

I made a light box from Ikea but it casts shadows. I bought a lightbox online but the lights aren't bright enough. I'll look at getting a macro ring for my camera but who knows.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 11:31:54 AM »
Nice work. I agree on the metal Elves. My wife is not a fan of any of the Oathmark Elves but I like the plastics. I like your idea to distinguish your elite unit.

As for lighting photos, I played the same games. Quite frustrating really.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 04:31:46 PM »
Nice work. I agree on the metal Elves. My wife is not a fan of any of the Oathmark Elves but I like the plastics. I like your idea to distinguish your elite unit.

Thank you.

The plastics are good. My only complaint thus far are the weird neck joints for the Dwarves and Goblins and those plumes for the Elves. That was actually the main reasoning behind the "elites". I had to justify a reason why only 10 out of 30 were done that way.

I should probably add that I got the colour scheme from someone here.

I'll add the link when I find it.