Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:13:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark. Anyone into it?  (Read 12302 times)

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
Re: Oathmark. Anyone into it?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 09:06:40 PM »
I'd say I'm into it.

I like the Oathmark models I've seen so far, and am planning to buy more of them once I can justify it (in terms of making actual painting progress on previously purchased miniatures). What little I know of the rules and world for the main game sounds good too, so I'm very likey to purchase the book once it's out.
Dispatches from the Miniature Front - my occasionally updated blog

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2020, 01:27:43 PM »
https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/designer_blog_oathmark_kingdom/

I really like the sound of this. Should have been how cities of sigmar worked.

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2020, 09:34:50 PM »
https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/designer_blog_oathmark_kingdom/

I really like the sound of this. Should have been how cities of sigmar worked.

Yeah, that sounds pretty cool.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 07:45:20 PM »
Next article is up, there is a fair bit of information on the game in this extract. I love the sound of the kingdom rules. I can't wait to see all the maps and fancy kingdom sheets done up by the players. If this takes off like Frostgrave we could be seeing way more unique armies and terrain added to the game in the later expansions.

https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/designer_blog_oathmark_kingdomextract

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2020, 07:53:03 PM »
Also can't wait. Ordered the wolf riders today!
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 07:57:22 PM »
Really enjoyed these last two sneak peeks about the kingdoms. Love that they give the creative freedom to combine traditional fantasy races in new ways.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2020, 04:43:07 AM »
This does look interesting.  Too bad there are no rat like men with weird war machines as a race choice...
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2020, 08:45:17 AM »
The concept of the kingdoms affecting troop choices is very clever, and should lead to some interesting armies.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2020, 01:41:43 PM »
This does look interesting.  Too bad there are no rat like men with weird war machines as a race choice...

I'm going to add custom races to the game for sure. Chances are I'll run dwarves V Gobbos at first (as they are my main army and the army I'm currently painting. Having seen the that humans have ogres, I'm sure I'll add ogres to have their own kingdom, as well as lizard folk and ratmen. I'll run my dark elves as regular elves, just more spiky looking lol

I'll run my undead as humans until the first expansion comes out (with the undead rules).

I'll probably just use what stats are given in the book and proxy the models for the start, but once I have sometime and a couple of games tried, I'm sure I'll rework some rules.

I'm hoping a lot of people do the same and it encrouages them to keep releasing races down the line, much like erehwon has been doing. Looking at the popularity of frostgrave and the amount of adds on and expansions, I could see oathmark becoming a superb fantasy wargame!

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2020, 05:50:34 PM »
This kingdombuilding stuff reminds me of the old Heroes of Might and Magic PC games.
Build a cavern and you can field hydras, a wolfden allows wolfriders and so on.

Oathmark is triggering all sorts of nostalgia :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2020, 07:03:04 PM »
The campaign system sounds tremendous! I'd love to know a bit more about the basing requirements, etc.

One thing intrigues me: the preview makes mention of goblins and orcs, with each living in separate cities/areas. As the Oathmark goblins are bang-on Tolkien orcs, I wonder what the Oathmark orcs will be.

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
    • Edinburgh Miniature Company
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2020, 08:20:49 PM »
Yep from that blog entry on creating a kingdom I think Joe has nailed the army building and campaign piece.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2020, 09:22:16 PM »
Being a slow-ish and not overly talented with the brush painter with too many side projects at hand and also a skirmish game player, Oathmark - from what we know - should not have interested me...

... however when I heard that it was done by Joseph McCullough and after seeing the Goblin Army I immediately jumped on board.

Now I have a partly and horribly painted Goblin force and am eagerly awaiting the ruleset. The information about the game itself has been revealed a tad too slow and infrequent for my tastes but they have been picking up in speed recently.

In short: Yeah, I´m in.

"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2020, 10:58:40 AM »
The campaign system sounds tremendous! I'd love to know a bit more about the basing requirements, etc.

One thing intrigues me: the preview makes mention of goblins and orcs, with each living in separate cities/areas. As the Oathmark goblins are bang-on Tolkien orcs, I wonder what the Oathmark orcs will be.

From what's been said, any basing can be pretty much used but you will need to use trays for round bases or bases smaller than 25mm. The oathmark kits come with 25mm each which appears to be the standard basing size (25x50 for horses).

I honestly think it won't be a bother using 20mm basing from older games either, as at worst we need to add a movement tray that adds the extra few mm around the edges, the 20 & 25s for the most part will still line up enough.

Oathmark orcs (from what I recall reading on the northstar page months ago) will be the heavily armoured version (and slightly bigger) version of the goblins. I presume they will look an awful lot a like, unlike how GW split their gobbos & orcs designs up in to more unique looking sub races. Only guessing though.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2020, 11:39:36 PM »
Speaking of bases, I have one quick questions (please excuse eventual typos as I am typing on a phone):

Today I saw that Renedra now offers movement trays for 20 miniatures with 25mm round bases which are perfect for Oathmark.

Does anyone know how we are going to move blocks with the „official“ basing? I based all of my Goblins on 25mm square.

Will there be corresponding movement trays once the game is released? Surely, because it is a game with massive armies?

Many thanks!

PS: If there are no such official trays planned, does anyone know good plastic movement trays (can‘t stand mdf). Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to mass battle games.  Many thanks!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:43:30 AM by Historiker »