Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:13:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark. Anyone into it?  (Read 12297 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Oathmark. Anyone into it?
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2020, 03:09:49 AM »
The concept of the kingdoms affecting troop choices is very clever, and should lead to some interesting armies.

IIRC the campaign system will let you keep troops when you lose a territory but the troops from that territory become less effective

Offline bonewolf22

• Student
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2020, 06:08:40 AM »
Speaking of bases, I have one quick questions (please excuse eventual typos as I am typing on a phone):

Today I saw that Renedra now offers movement trays for 20 miniatures with 25mm round bases which are perfect for Oathmark.

Does anyone know how we are going to move blocks with the „official“ basing? I based all of my Goblins on 25mm square.

Will there be corresponding movement trays once the game is released? Surely, because it is a game with massive armies?

Many thanks!

PS: If there are no such official trays planned, does anyone know good plastic movement trays (can‘t stand mdf). Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to mass battle games.  Many thanks!

According the Oathmark Players Facebook Page, the new movement trays from Renedra were actually designed with Oathmark in mind! The designer seems to be supportive of both round and square bases, so the Renedra trays are effectively official trays for Oathmark.

As for movement trays for square-based units, I've made movement trays myself out of thick card that do the job perfectly. Just some card with additional pieces glued at the edges for a raised border and covered in flock. Victrix makes plastic movement trays but I would reccomend making them yourself, that way you can save some money and tailor make them for your formations.

Offline djbii

• Librarian
  • The Goblin King
    • HotT 'n' Stuff
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2020, 07:55:22 AM »
Hey bonewolf22, you got Deafnala's photo  lol
A life spent making mistakes is not only honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” –  George Bernard Shaw

https://hottnstuff.blogspot.com/ (was http://hitlh.blogspot.com.au/)

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2020, 10:08:44 AM »
Many thanks! Since I do not have a FB account, I often miss out on these kinds of information but I figured that the new Renedra  trays would be the official version for round bases.

Since the figures are sold with square bases and the rules assume square bases I hoped that there would be trays for those as well. Moving blocks of twenty is a hassle. Kinda makes me regret using the bases the minis came with. Would have loved to use Renedra. Their quality is great.

The Victrix Trays do not seem to fit, apart from the cavalry trays, but a bit of googling led me to Mantic Large infantry trays. Those would work, right?

Looking forward to play the game!
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2020, 10:38:13 AM »
Since Erewhon has proven not to be very popular locally, it's not being played much, even though I invested heavily in it with dice, dice bag, book, etc, and I really enjoyed the games we did play.

Must be because I won all of them so far... lol

So another generic fantasy system to use my fantasy armies with would be great. I especially like the kingdom campaign rules. It reminds me of campaigns we used to play when there still was a local club around here. With a map on the wall, detailing how our territories expanded and clashed over the course of months (we played weekly). The maps used to have certain features here and there, granting the occupying army certain bonuses, so those were always heavily contested.

Good times :)

So I have high hopes regarding Oathmark. And the scalability sounds really good too. Yes; I'm looking forward to this one!

...If there are no such official trays planned, does anyone know good plastic movement trays...

Plasticard and cleaned up sprues would quickly get you all the trays, in any size you'd need.

And even though they're getting more rare by the day, the old Citadel movement tray kits would be perfect for your needs. They're also becoming expensive though...

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2020, 08:49:47 PM »
I am certainly  planning on buying a copy. Like many others here, I am also quite interested in the campaign rules.

-Michael

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2020, 09:16:47 PM »
Also like the look of this, I have a few box sets and plan to get more going forward. Rules look like quite cool, will have to break out the map maker!

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2020, 09:51:23 PM »
So far I got 20 Goblin bowmen, 20 Goblin spearmen, 20 Goblin Warriors and all the Goblin Champions. For my gaming habits so far that is quite sizeable.

Quite excited how that plays in the rules.

I am planning to get some Humans and some Wolfriders at this years Tactica and maybe some Frostgrave and RoSD stuff for Oathmark as well.

Let‘s hope the game system delivers the elegant rules and an engaging campaign system!

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2020, 11:06:06 PM »
Does anyone have any photos of the Oathmark plastic kits painted? There's some fantastic pro-painted works by Kev Dallimore, but I haven't seen any shots of the Dwarf Infantry/Heavy Infantry or the Human Infantry painted by mere mortals.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2020, 12:09:41 AM »
Does anyone have any photos of the Oathmark plastic kits painted? There's some fantastic pro-painted works by Kev Dallimore, but I haven't seen any shots of the Dwarf Infantry/Heavy Infantry or the Human Infantry painted by mere mortals.

Check out my plog, I have both humans and Goblins, as well as a few dwarves.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55740.75

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2020, 06:45:21 PM »

I also have a plog on here, dwarves are in there. Heavy dwarves will come when ever it warms up enough to start priming again. I have some of the humans as well, but it will be a while before I get to them at all.

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2020, 05:38:45 AM »
New blog post up on unit activation here.

Players alternate rolling to activate units. A failed activation results in a limited set of actions being available for the unit for that activation [speculation: maybe the type of "failed roll activations" allowed vary from unit to unit or by race]. A successful activation roll means the unit can do whatever it wants. Nearby commanders make activation easier.

Seems pretty decent to me. I am still in.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:54:22 PM by Aesthete »
Dispatches from the Miniature Front - my occasionally updated blog

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2020, 08:48:06 PM »
I like what I see so far!

The activation mechanic for me hits a sweet spot between the tension of dice rolls and being able to plan your turn, since you always have a turn but have to manage the result of the roll (This is not a Test has a somewhat similar in spirit activation mechanic called a Mettle Test that goes even further cause it does not automatically alternate the turns between players which I also liked).

Combining all the little pieces (for example the info about a straightforward and transparent dice-pool which still allows for variance) it seems a lot of thought was put into making the game FUN to play. I hope that my impression will only be strengthened by future infos coming out.

So far the game at least for me is a strong contender to become my only mass battle game system (aside from Bolt Action which I think is almost a skirmish game).

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2020, 07:17:22 AM »
The activation mechanics are somewhat like some of the later Rampant series games, where a unit had a couple of no rolls required activations to choose from, but they had to test if trying anything else.

It seems a resonable compromise, if I ever get around to painting enough miniatures for large skirmish games I'll definitely have to pick up Oathmark.

As it is, I'm just playing around with their goblins and waiting for the wolfriders.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
Yeah no one likes the "I rolled badly my guys sit around doing nothing" mechanics