Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:44:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2020 Brandlin - "Express Elevator to Hell"  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
BSC2020 Brandlin - "Express Elevator to Hell"
« on: December 24, 2019, 11:01:48 AM »
Ok, taking the plunge ...

Can't say that I like the theme - I think ruins are widely overdone in the wargaming world and are often poorly done, bearing little to no relation to ruins in the real world. But that's just my shallow prejudice.

I love making models and take a ridiculous amount of time to try and perfect details that no one other than me would notice. So I am taking the step to challenge myself and produce something that isn't pristine but represents a wreck in a more 'realistic' way...

Those are words I may live to regret ...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:11:21 AM by Hammers »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: BSC2020 - Brandlin - "Express Elevator to Hell"
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 11:53:52 AM »
Ok, taking the plunge ...

Can't say that I like the theme - I think ruins are widely overdone in the wargaming world and are often poorly done, bearing little to no relation to ruins in the real world. But that's just my shallow prejudice.

I love making models and take a ridiculous amount of time to try and perfect details that no one other than me would notice. So I am taking the step to challenge myself and produce something that isn't pristine but represents a wreck in a more 'realistic' way...

Those are words I may live to regret ...

Well that puts other entrants on notice that you’ll think their work is shit!  lol

It’ll be interesting to see what you produce  :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
Well that puts other entrants on notice that you’ll think their work is shit!  lol

It’ll be interesting to see what you produce  :D

Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Personally I dislike the kinds of models that just throw poorly made stuff onto a model, dry brush it orange/rust and claim "its a ruin". Its the aesthetic of Orc/Ork models from GW. I understand that look is popular.

I prefer a level of reality in my models, as a physicist and engineer that's what appeals to me. For example, just throwing slabs of riveted metal plate randomly at something does not reflect a building/vehicle that would function.

There is also a huge difference between a model that I or others dislike on aesthetic grounds, and one that is (your word) "shit".

Your mileage may vary.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 01:20:56 PM »
Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Personally I dislike the kinds of models that just throw poorly made stuff onto a model, dry brush it orange/rust and claim "its a ruin". Its the aesthetic of Orc/Ork models from GW. I understand that look is popular.

I prefer a level of reality in my models, as a physicist and engineer that's what appeals to me. For example, just throwing slabs of riveted metal plate randomly at something does not reflect a building/vehicle that would function.

There is also a huge difference between a model that I or others dislike on aesthetic grounds, and one that is (your word) "shit".

Your mileage may vary.

Must admit I wasn’t expecting such a serious response. The laughing emoji was there for a reason.  ;)

As to my “mileage”, I really don’t care what other people do. If it pleases them all well and good. I just do stuff for me to amuse myself, it being a hobby and all that.  :D

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 11:21:07 PM »
Erm,the BSC is a bit of fun,not all of us are brilliant modellers I'm certainly not ,it shouldn't be an existential crisis  ;D lol

And by the way I'm just a cook...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 11:37:22 PM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 11:57:31 AM »
Erm,the BSC is a bit of fun,not all of us are brilliant modellers I'm certainly not ,it shouldn't be an existential crisis  ;D lol

No such thing as 'just a cook', and I am not expecting mine to be anything more than fun piece that will have a place on my tabletop, and work for several locations.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 01:34:58 PM »

Well I know who I’d rather have come around to help with the Christmas dinner! :D :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 09:17:24 PM »
Well I know who I’d rather have come around to help with the Christmas dinner! :D :)

:D

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 03:26:31 AM »
As an amateur cook of some ability, I hold the art in much respect, and am frankly in awe of those who can handle the logistic complications and discipline that go with doing it professionally. "Just" in your self-description seems very out of place!

All hail Antoine Careme!
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 06:35:29 AM »
that sounds interesting
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com