Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:40:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689345
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bloodsbane's LPL 13 Portfolio  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
Bloodsbane's LPL 13 Portfolio
« on: December 26, 2019, 02:58:40 PM »
I like the idea of the retrospective posts, and really enjoy getting some insight into people's thoughts behind their entries, so I figure I'd better do one as well.

Round 1 - Von Carsteins. Fireforge Games. I had received these and landed on the idea of making a vampire out of the skeleton champion and building a Mordheim warband around him pretty much at the same time as I saw there was a LPL in the makings.

Round 2 - Saracens. Helldorado miniatures. These have been sitting undercoated in a box for years and years. So happy to finally get paint on (some of) the Helldorado collection. I wonder if there's a community that actively plays it somewhere out there?

Round 3 - Njorns. Red Box Games miniatures. I've got a fairly huge collection of dudes for this project. One of these days I'll take some more photos of it. They've seen a little bit of action in Frostgrave, but the initial idea was to play something Skyrim-inspired with the Mordheim rules.

Round 4 - So you haven't seen a grail? Claymore Castings and Fireforge zombies. I had received these around the same time. Another Mordheim warband.
Much of the theming on the first 4 rounds came from me wanting to showcase the different environments we've got the terrain for.

Round 5 - Dawi Zarr. Russian Alternative miniatures. Another Mordheim warband, for future Border Town Burning shenanigans. Utterly impossible to take a proper photo of - but they're quite a rushed paintjob too.

Round 6 - Repent! GW Flagellants. Completely improvised - I found the flagellants and warrior priest undercoated brown in a mini case, and saw the scene in my head immediately. I think I painted the whole bunch in a day.

Round 7 - In the Aftermath. More Helldorado, along with a whole bunch of GW Skaven. Helldorado miniatures are pretty much the ideal when it comes to miniature size and proportions. I am utterly enamored with them. I realize I've been quite scared to start putting paint on them. Well, no longer!

Round 8 - Don't go hollow. Utter rush job. Dark Souls boardgame. They were all painted before the LPL but never shown anywhere, and a quick phone camera snap. All in all I'm happy I only had one week where I couldn't get a proper entry together.

Round 9 - THIS big it was! Reaper Bones, along with various randoms. I grabbed a bunch of Bones civilians from the latest kickstarter. Bit of a "kill your darling" moment: I was really happy with how the fisherman's face came out  lol

Round 10 - Reinforcements are coming. Armourfast, Plastic Soldier Company plus crews and luggage from various sources. I have to give a shoutout to S and S Models here - I ordered the M10 crew from him, and he hooked me up with plastic bits that were missing from my kit (that I had bought elsewhere ages ago) - now that's service!

Seeing everything together like this, I'd say my goal of improving my miniature photography has been met. Such an awesome feeling to have so many previously started projects finished and table ready, too. Super happy I took part in Lead Painter's Leage 13  :D

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Bloodsbane's LPL 13 Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »
wonderful, as are all the portfolio posts.

agree - the hell dorado figures are something else. such a shame they're no longer produced.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »
Many excellent photos and groups of figures there. Great to see them all together.
I particularly love the Njorns, the Claymore knights and the Helldorado group on those imposing city steps. But the ww2 US convoy scene is something else. Absolutely brilliant  :-*

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:49:29 AM »
Brilliantly painted groups of figures and the more I look the more I see

A joy to the eye

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 04:33:54 AM »
Great stuff! Looking at your entries, I can see that I am on the downward arc of my own painting skills....  lol

Mike