Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:49:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BBC 1 Dracula  (Read 2904 times)

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
Re: BBC 1 Dracula
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »
In the end I loved the adaption , very clever storyline .

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »
Dracula's Guest, maybe? The narrator is usually assumed to be Harker, but he isn't named in the story. Certainly, some subsequent media portrayals have had Renfield as the first solicitor to visit Dracula.

That's the one!

A friend of mine had the game, and a few of us played it begrudgingly (because it wasn't Warhammer), but then really enjoyed it. I don't remember that much about it, except that we were surprised by how good it was.

The ones available now aren't the same edition as I played, but I don't know what, if any, real changes have been made to the game. The one I played had Dracula as one player secretly moving about the globe (using his own hidden map) trying to make vampires, whilst other players (as the characters in the book) tried to track him down.

MrsCub has shown reluctance to try the new series, but I might give it a go just to see.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 08:35:18 PM »
Watched the 1st episode yesterday. I liked the visual aspects - the scenery, costumes, special effects, etc. - but that's about it. I don't mind changes to the storyline, but the reveals were annoying (is it a spoiler to write there are some twists?). Plus IMHO the dialogues felt out of place, like they were written for a "Dracula in modern times" story.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 10:15:13 PM »
I didn't really like it, (though Mrs Northstar loved it) but after the appalling BBC offerings of War of the Worlds and Christmas Carol, it was the best of the three so forgave it's many shortcomings  lol

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 01:33:28 PM »
Funnily enough I actually thought A Christmas Carol was very good as it tended to fill in backstory rather than overhauling it. I thought Andy Serkis was very good. I didn't think much of the Dracula series as an actual Dracula series. I didn't bother with War of the Worlds after listening to some of the comments.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2020, 11:01:07 PM »
Gawd no, hated Christmas Carol. I just thought it lost all the point of Dickens' story. And it wasn't Dickensian England, so why set it there. The effin and Blinding, no way.

And Andy Serkis, not my favourite in any role. IMPO of course.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 11:24:11 PM »
I watched the first episode and a half of Dracula; it was fair enough, I thought, but actually better the closer it cleaved to the original story. The 'old' count was very well done (though why does he almost never have his long white moustache in adaptations?), but I thought the suave, anglified version was less interesting, albeit well done. I liked the lesser vampires, though: genuinely creepy.

I really enjoyed the Gatiss documentary - and the detail about Stoker's plan to have Dracula unpaintable (portraits would never look like him) was worth the price of admission alone. Lots of RPG potential in that idea ...

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 05:14:22 PM »
Was tempted to switch it off after 10 minutes as it just didn't sit quite right with me, but decided to give it more of a chance. After an hour,  however, I did give up. Having just read the synopsis of the remaining episodes, I'm glad I did!
When adapting a well-known story, I guess it makes sense that the creators want to find a new spin and in general leave their own mark on things. At some point, however, I'd rather they just created their own thing form scratch, and perhaps it would sit better with audiences too as they won't go in expecting something that simply isn't what's given to them. Besides, I'd argue a faithful adaptation without changes can be perfectly enjoyable, as I can re-read the novel of Dracula and enjoy it many a time (I imagine, having only read it once so far...). A missed opportunity, as the quality was certainly there in some aspects.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 06:20:11 PM »
I have watched episodes 1 and 2 and the first 10 minutes or so of 3.  Not horrible, but it doesn't really grab me.  Dracula seems to be channeling the Roger Moore version of James Bond with all the one-line zingers and double entendre, and to me that approach undermines the attempt to build a creepy, frightening atmosphere.  It's like playing a RPG where the GM has lovingly set up mood and everyone is staying in character - except that one guy with his annoying jokes. 

I will finish episode 3, probably tomorrow after work.

-Michael
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 02:47:54 AM by mweaver »