Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:45:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: HELP Table set up and height challenge  (Read 1047 times)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
HELP Table set up and height challenge
« on: January 05, 2020, 09:18:19 AM »
Need your input guys

This month I commence renovation on the fully timber paneled 18th century salon and additional storeroom I have been allocated in the Maison for the sole purpose of wargaming (just a little excited).

I want to have quite a flexible layout. I have the opportunity to build storage drawers and shelves etc underneath for armies and terrain, plus have three possibly four sections movable on wheels (or a mix of movable and collapsible) so I can form a T,t F or E variations or even set up a separate table for campaign or multi part games

The Salon de Guerre is 21ft long by 17ft wide at the shortest edges and (23 x19ft longest). The fireplace, wall heaters and curved corners and curved entry door plus French bay windows also add variation to the widths across the width and length of the room, plus I want to add a display case of my military memorabilia and a two seater chesterfield lounge to give it the gentlemen club feel.

The Wargames table will be maximum 18 foot long so we can move around it x and 6ft wide as that is the each of most people.  Anyone have any thoughts about table height or even width? My TTSFN (Total Terrain System For Now) is 2ft by 2ft tiles or 2ft x1ft or 1x1ft tiles.

I have normally played on a dining table or similar so it can be uncomfortable for a tall guy like me. But too high then I will need stools rather than comfortable chairs, plus it also restricts reach for some of us. 

On the main table I am thinking of using kitchen cabinets underneath and then add a permanent top, then adding a storage lip for tape measure dice, note book, scenario chits, coffee cup, whisky glass etc on the permanent table which will be at this stage will be either 9 or 10ft long (still on castors though I think).

I will be using sketch up over the next week or so then I will post my images of my thoughts I am in the planning stages to commence my 19ft x 6ft Wargames table for the Salon de Guerre!

Anyone have any thoughts about table height? I have normally played on a dining table or similar.
 your input.

Cheers
Matt

Offline arloid

• Bookworm
Re: HELP Table set up and height challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 01:44:10 PM »
Might be a good idea to check how high the gaming tables at any of the LGS’s are, good chance these are at a appropriate hight for most people to game at.

I wouldn’t make a game table wider then 4 feet in the smallest dimension, simply because it becomes a pain to get to stuff even if you walk around the table.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 09:14:53 AM »
  • I would think less than waist high.
  • No more than your reach X 2 wide.

The former because otherwise it reduces your reach and makes the items on the edges vulnerable to clothing, bellies etc.

The latter because unless you are doing a WW2 fighter control board, you will not be able to reach stuff in the middle (model railways can have lift out sections - not so much if an option for a wargame unless you have impassable mountains).

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 11:42:16 AM »
Max 6 feet wide or you will not be able to reach the centre.
A normal table is about 2'6" high, but if you are planning to stand at the table, about 3 feet or so (or maybe 1 metre) is a better height and makes it easier to reach the middle. The same sort of height as kitchen worktops (and kitchen units make excellent supports for wargame tables as they also can store scenery and such like)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 01:49:37 PM »
I find 3ft from floor to table top rather convenient.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »
Height depends; when younger, we used to play entire epic battles standing up, and kept that up for an afternoon and evening with just a half hour break for pizza (or equivalent). The table we played on was about 100cm high, as it had to fit over my buddy's diningroom table, and I found that height perfect for gaming whilst standing up. But also, sitting down, one had a perfect first person view of the battlefield.

It bears mention that this particular table was sized 240x120cm (8x4 feet), so significantly smaller than the ones you're planning.

For some reason though, we (d?)evolved to playing on tables that were on a more standard height of about 70 to 80cm, so we could sit during the game.

I'm still planning to build my own table (and an elaborate plan it is), which will be about 100cm high. Because I want to re-introduce the standing aspect, but mostly because the space underneath will be used to store the differently themed table inserts (120x60cm each, three elements per theme for a max table of 180x120cm, although I suspect most games these days will require just two  elements).

The height is still up for debate, but from a storage perspective, I'm leaning towards the higher the better, while from a comfort perspective, I'd lean more towards a lower one.

So it's really up to how you expect to be using the table. Obviously, for tables with a bigger footprint, I'd suggest keeping them lower, so one can still reach the middle of the table, which would be more challenging when gaming on a taller table...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 07:42:53 AM »
My personal gaming table has the hight of a bar in a pub. So you can stand or sit on a bar stool ( I got some from a garage sale .
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 07:59:35 PM »
Mine too. I can store more under the table at that height. Have four stools around the table and a two foot extension either end on a flap to expand the table to 16 X 6 .  The other advantage of this height is the figures are closer to my old eyes! That is becoming more important lately.