Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New to painting - Part 2  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Bluenotebooks

• Student
New to painting - Part 2
« on: January 05, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »
I recently posted a new to painting thread where I painted up a couple space marines, I’ve decided for actual gaming I want to go with 15mm, around a platoon per side.  I painted the 40k because I’ve wanted to do that since I was a kid and never had the opportunity.

I purchased two platoon packs from Rebel minis.  The first is ‘done‘ except for basing.  I might add some high lighting to the guns later on but at this point I just want to get two armies on the table so my wife and I can play a game.  I think they’ll look alright on the table.

I purchased 5150 Star Army but found the ‘star’ thing a little strange when you’re controlling three or four squads of infantry.  I read through FAD and the rules clicked with me, in my head anyways.  Might also try Fubar.  Eventually we’ll get back around to giving to giving 5150 a go, the PEF rules are really cool.

Anyways, here’s a pic of some of the finished soldiers.  Some in the pic still need a little work on the bases but are otherwise done.  I have 18 with nothing on the bases yet but that should go pretty quick so I can start on the next army. 

Offline Bluenotebooks

• Student
Re: New to painting - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 02:02:20 PM »
That photo was really small.  Maybe this will be better.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 03:43:55 PM »
Looking really good for being new to painting (two thumbs up)
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Bluenotebooks

• Student
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 05:07:22 PM »
Thanks. I’m pleased with how things are going so far.  I’m having a lot of fun.  Now I really just want to play a game.  I’ll probably make a couple more of those rock formations since they are so easy to do.  Not sure what else yet.  For the ground I’m just using some thick cheap fabric I found at Joe Anns fabric.

Offline Bluenotebooks

• Student
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 05:09:31 PM »
Question, what material do you guys use to create a smooth transition from the base to the feet of the miniature? 

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 09:07:19 PM »
I use wood glue on my bases.

Here's a picture as to my process;

I mount the figure to the base, then apply my first application of wood glue using a tooth pick, let dry, then apply the second application with tooth pick, let dry, then I'm good to go.

I just paint my bases in grey colors, because it seems most of my games take place in urban environments.

For me just painting the bases a color like grey, seems to helps the eye to focus more on the figures

I hope this helps,

Offline Bluenotebooks

• Student
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 09:25:21 PM »
That was extremely helpful, thank you!  You’re bases look really good. I just built up layers of “flock”.  I ground up some some pellet stove wood pellets until they were really fine.  Seems to have to worked ok as “flock”.

I really appreciate all the great responses I receive on these forums.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 10:35:50 PM »
Your bases look really good.

You can go to the Big Home Improvement Stores that cut wood to size and ask nicely if they can give you a small bag of sawdust, most times their helpful just have to ask the right person, there are YouTube vids that can show you how to dye them to your needs.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 11:09:14 PM »
Your painting and basing looks completely acceptable for a first try,  (my own were much worse) and you can only get better from now on in anyway. You are going the right way about it concentrating on getting a basic force on the table ASAP to play with (so many of us STILL haven't learned that lesson!) Do let us know how you get on with your first game. I hope your wife gets the gaming bug, that will be a great bonus!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 02:00:36 AM »
Question, what material do you guys use to create a smooth transition from the base to the feet of the miniature?

This thread might be helpful.  I ended up going with the Vallejo grey pumice.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=100436.0
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Bluenotebooks

• Student
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 05:29:46 AM »
Thanks.  I’ll check it out.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 02:26:48 PM »
I use acrylic paste to both glue the mini to the base and smooth the step from the base to the cast-on tab.

Offline Bluenotebooks

• Student
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 07:32:09 AM »
Finally had a chance to finish this first platoon.  Now to paint some guys for this platoon to fight against.  I think the next one will take far less time.  I did a lot of experimenting with these guys, stripped and repainted some, based them several different ways etc. just to see what it would look like.  The other platoon are also good models for a really basic paint job I think, which is what I’ll do again,so I can get a game going.  Also need to make some more terrain.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:38:04 AM by Bluenotebooks »