Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:19:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Books on Indian Mutiny?  (Read 3252 times)

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
Re: Books on Indian Mutiny?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 03:46:08 PM »
I’ll second ‘The Last Mughal’. It’s excellently written with a rare look at a portion of the conflict from the Mutineer side. 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 04:32:20 PM »
I’ll second ‘The Last Mughal’. It’s excellently written with a rare look at a portion of the conflict from the Mutineer side.

This is a very important point. I wonder what's available translated from the various languages in India (hopefully without the jingoism that both nations have at various points been guilty of?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 06:11:44 PM »
(Actually the link above just leads to the Saul book on Amazon)

Wow! I wasn't aware of the British Army study one- thanks :)

I wasn't aware of it either until yesterday, it just came up on Amazon while I was looking for the David book (which I now see had already been mentioned). Apologies for duplicating the link. Here's the correct one, hopefully:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mutiny-Insurgency-India-1857-58-British-ebook/dp/B00BCOW25E/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=T+A+Heathcote&qid=1578679513&s=books&sr=1-8

Heathcote has written other books on the British army in India, which you will find if you click on his name on Amazon. I've a feeling one was published by Foundry, though I don't see it listed.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 06:54:19 PM »
This is a very important point. I wonder what's available translated from the various languages in India (hopefully without the jingoism that both nations have at various points been guilty of?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dalrymple has a new book on the HEIC which might shed some light.  I'm reading it but have not got to the Mutiny yet. 

What we really need is someone like Amarpal Singh Sidhu to do for the Mutiny what he did for the Sikh Wars.  Who knows Amarpal himself might do it.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 06:55:34 PM »
This is great stuff, going to keep me busy for a while!

Steve

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 09:25:45 AM »
Siege of Krishnapur by J G Farrel,a fictionalized account and very good.

I would second that it's a fantastic book.

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 11:24:33 AM »
I would also add Flashman and the Great Game, GMF whatever you think of him and his values, really can convey a sense of place and time all be it through the lens of Flashy. ;)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 12:06:36 PM »
Yes, the Siege of Krishnapur is an utterly brilliant novel.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 04:33:02 PM »
Not sure it adds much to the discussion at this point, but I must admit to loving Hibbert's book - a superb read and great introduction to the period.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 07:01:53 PM »
Friend of mine mentioned Flashman and the Great Game too so I ordered myself a copy and it arrived today along with the copy of Our Bones.

The Siege of Krishnapur looks like a good read to so I‘ve added that to the wish list as well. It really is a fascinating period.

Steve

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2020, 09:11:09 AM »
If you’re looking for more detail, Sir John Kaye
/Colonel Malleson’s History of the Indian Mutiny is virtually a first-hand account with some great detail for scenarios:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bruce_Malleson

If I recall correctly, the Hibbert book (which is excellent) drew on a lot of Kaye/Malleson.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2020, 09:25:50 AM »
Not sure it adds much to the discussion at this point, but I must admit to loving Hibbert's book - a superb read and great introduction to the period.

I agree Christopher Hibbert's is suberb writer (I have just had a look and I have his books on Garibaldi, the Medici, the Mutiny Rome and Florence) and they are all informed and very accessable giving the reader a well measured overview of the subject.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 04:02:33 PM »
The Kaye/ Malleson books ( six volumes) can be downloaded freely from https://archive.org/details/texts?and%5B%5D=indian+mutiny&sort=-downloads&page=1
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 06:39:40 PM »
The Kaye/ Malleson books ( six volumes) can be downloaded freely from https://archive.org/details/texts?and%5B%5D=indian+mutiny&sort=-downloads&page=1

That’s a really useful link, many thanks for that.

Steve

Offline AndyG

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 08:48:19 PM »
All the absolute are worth a read, particularly Are bones are scattered. The British in India 1825 - 1857 by John  French in the Foundry series is pretty good. For uniforms I’d swop if for all the Ospreys and it has every thing from Bhurtpore to the Mutiny inc 1st Afghanistan the Sikh wars and all sorts of more obscure actions.

It’s not an overview of the mutiny as such but it’s packed with detail on the particpents, uniforms, colours etc and also has quite a few battle maps, OOBs etc I should have checked before I posted but I think there is a Kindle version given the high price for hard copies