Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:07:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: gaming in a 3' x 4' space and less  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
gaming in a 3' x 4' space and less
« on: January 09, 2020, 05:49:38 PM »
I am guessing that many of us are already doing this.

I am setting out in a structured way to streamline play and reduce dependency on multi scales and worse multiple terrain scales, while keeping the game quite small, but still being able to do lots of periods.

Some thoughts on the blog

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2020/01/pocket-armies-and-4-x-3-project-going.html

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: gaming in a 3' x 4' space and less
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 12:31:42 AM »
Up till about five years ago we fought every battle on an 8' X 6' table. Then both my old wargame Diunderheads grew that old and decrepit we switched to a 4' X 4' table, and have never looked back.
We can field large forces for the Crusades, in 15mm, so can still have a proper sweeping tonking match. But even better, you can cram a lot more clutter into/onto a smaller table, makeing skirmish games look decent and play really well.
I don't regret our 'downsizing' for a minute.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 11:46:45 AM »
I have a table that goes up to 8'x6', and I used to use that size quite a bit, but like you recently most of my gaming has been done on 6x4, 4x4 or 3x4 tables. I used 6x6 for the first time in ages recently for a WW2 naval game.
Just takes too long to set up and play on the big table for most evening games.

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
I think the 3'x4' is a good size. You can get to the action a little quicker saving a turn or so maneuvering and as Faversham says it's easier to get a lot of terrain on the table for skirmish games.

I can't imagine how many buildings I would need for an 8'x6' gangster game. 

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 06:05:19 AM »
A good read, very interesting :) My gaming is on 4x4 or 4x3 or even 2x2, happy with it. :) 

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 11:11:22 AM »
I think the 3'x4' is a good size. You can get to the action a little quicker saving a turn or so maneuvering and as Faversham says it's easier to get a lot of terrain on the table for skirmish games.

I can't imagine how many buildings I would need for an 8'x6' gangster game.
8x6 is for mass battle games or WW1 or WW2 naval where ranges are very long

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 07:14:04 PM »
We game on a Kill Team sized mat on a coffee table (due to space constraints) and we're ok with that.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 08:01:52 PM »
I have been using a 2x2 cork pinboard since the early 'nineties - it started off as a DBA/HOTT board.

The static grass has needed replacing occasionally.

Works great with The Walking Dead:All Out War.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 03:02:42 AM »
We have two 8x4 tables with a two foot center board to join them into a 8x10 playing area. We use the big table for large tractics WWI or WWII battles mostly. Occasionally a large ancients or 40K battle. We have built up a lot of terrain over the years (stored under the tables) and it is fun to see it all in use.  Comes in handy when you want to run multiple skirmish games too. 

That said, the big multiplayer battles are less frequent than they used to be and we usually only game on one table space most days. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 03:27:16 AM by syrinx0 »
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 04:14:46 PM »
I got my partner to agree to a permanent game table by getting a nice one which doubles as the dining room table with the topper in place. Topper removed, the game well is 5’ by 3’, and that seems to be working well. We’ve even had quite a few games of A Gentleman’s War, using 40mm figures. Previously I was using a pair of folding banquet tables totaling 5’ by 6’, so the 50% reduction has been noticed, even if it’s acceptable...

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 04:43:37 PM »
I only use a 3×4 and a 3×3. Not simply because of space.
But it occurred to me whilst watching games at my local club .That most games being played deployed 30 cm in from the board edge . So even just a 4×6 had nearly twelve square feet of unused board from the first dice role.
Then if you take into account very few games and gamers play right upto the sides of the board .So effectively other than looking pretty half a 4×6 table isn't actually used for anything other than elbows and coffee cups(so to speak.)
So I reduced both the storage and the effort required by building smaller surfaces.

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 07:10:39 PM »
It makes sense to have a gaming surface appropriate to one's available gaming space, army and figure size.

I play 18mm army-level Ancients battles, always on a 6' x 4' table.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:13:06 PM by A Lot of Gaul »
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 03:12:32 PM »
I only use a 3×4 and a 3×3. Not simply because of space.
But it occurred to me whilst watching games at my local club .That most games being played deployed 30 cm in from the board edge . So even just a 4×6 had nearly twelve square feet of unused board from the first dice role.
Then if you take into account very few games and gamers play right upto the sides of the board .So effectively other than looking pretty half a 4×6 table isn't actually used for anything other than elbows and coffee cups(so to speak.)
So I reduced both the storage and the effort required by building smaller surfaces.

Interesting point, for me is the opposite, I do not like the end to end deployments. if you fit the table to the battle line you ends with no open flanks and basically just push forward confrontations...
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 05:58:54 PM »
These days I barely do much more than skirmish games and Pulp style games these don't need a landing stip sized table in the first place.
I think it's fair to say no matter what size of table you opt for the odds of you pushing figures across every square inch is pretty remote.
My choice is of table size is a combination of need and necessity I'd love a 4×6 playing surface . It's just I'm being honest with myself (No likey.It feels way to grown up.)
It'd look pretty but I'd only realistically play they majority of the time within twelve square feet of it.
So I've no real insensitive for building somthing twice the size if it'll not get used.

What is odd though is our instincts for  rectangular and square gaming surfaces. Try playing on around or oval table top and not layout a four sided board.It can be rather unnerving ;D

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 04:22:15 AM »
What is odd though is our instincts for  rectangular and square gaming surfaces. Try playing on around or oval table top and not layout a four sided board.It can be rather unnerving ;D

What a circle? Such that any normal sized human could reach the center of the table?  That is definitely crazy talk.    lol