Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:14:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689604
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 537
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lovecraft film  (Read 7425 times)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Lovecraft film
« on: January 11, 2020, 05:09:04 PM »
Hi I’ve  not seen a mention of it apologies if it has and feel free to delete the thread
 But I’ve seen mention of a film that will be the first of a 3 parter starring Nicholas cage

I can’t link as the site I seen it on seems to be full of pop ups ??

Andrew_McGuire

Re: Lovecraft film
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 05:33:37 PM »
I wasn't aware of it, but have found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfYAXMwCpk0

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 10:42:19 PM »
Cool!

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 10:22:08 AM »
Color Out of Space is a solid film, IMHO one of the best Lovecraft adaptations.
My only problem is Cage's over-the-top acting, though one could argue it's meant to be the influence of the Colour.

Not sure if the two upcoming movies will feature Cage. The next one is The Dunwich Horror.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
My only problem is Cage's over-the-top acting, though one could argue it's meant to be the influence of the Colour.

No, it's the influence of the Cage, for whom the phrase 'over the top' is redundant.

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 04:15:45 AM »
Looks great.   ;D
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 05:32:42 AM »
Shame it's set now...

Still waiting for  a Lovecraft film to match The Shadow or Cast a Deadly Spell

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 02:52:18 PM »
Shame it's set now...

Totally agree. In general I feel that There is too much that is set in the present. Many films could benefit from being set back in the 50’s - 80’s. Modern settings are, I believe, much cheaper...

Cthulhu in the 30’s, Bond/Spies in the 60’s to the 80’s...

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 05:19:46 PM »
At the risk of stating the obvious, I suspect the reason for this is that a historical setting, even a relatively recent one, would alienate the majority of the audience, who can't even conceive of an era without the internet and smartphones. (Which makes me think producers of horror films and fiction are missing a trick: wouldn't the gods of Lovecraft's Mythos infiltrate this technology? OK. I'm aware of some recent anthologies along these lines, but haven't read them).

Occasionally, however, modern communications would render a plot implausible, leading to a retro setting, as in the film Freefire, entirely set in a warehouse the late 1970s, where communication is limited to what can be seen and heard within a few yards .

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 08:22:16 PM »
Maybe, it has to be old like GoT or modern....

That said The Terror was amazing....

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 08:43:02 PM »

In Color out of space, the modern setting isn’t working for me… all the time I was watching it, I wonder why the "authorities" aren’t all over it? In these days and ages, with the Internet and the likes, a meteor falling to earth would attract all kind of scientists, government officials and so on :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 11:59:55 PM »
In Color out of space, the modern setting isn’t working for me… all the time I was watching it, I wonder why the "authorities" aren’t all over it? In these days and ages, with the Internet and the likes, a meteor falling to earth would attract all kind of scientists, government officials and so on :?

yep, totally agree, for me the Lovecraft stories work better in period (1920-1038)
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 03:07:41 PM »
Maybe, it has to be old like GoT or modern....

Not sure about that. There's quite a following for polystyrene Victoriana on TV, isn't there?
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 03:38:00 PM »
The other film this year was "Underwater"

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »
At the risk of stating the obvious, I suspect the reason for this is that a historical setting, even a relatively recent one, would alienate the majority of the audience, who can't even conceive of an era without the internet and smartphones.

Really? My youngest (9) loves Indianna Jones, Lord of the Rings, James Bond (the bits I let him watch, and not the 15’s). Never says, “where is Gandalf/Indi/Bonds mobile? That’s so stupid. They (the 11 year old too) loved “Where Eagles Dare”.  Are my children unique? I don’t buy it!