Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:58:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Building a Pele Tower Pt 1  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Building a Pele Tower Pt 1
« on: January 30, 2023, 09:48:57 AM »
Inspired by the rules for The Barons War I finally started to rebuild my Pele Tower (and this time the way they really looked!).

So far this is the result:

For those who like to find out more about the build look here:

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.com/2023/01/building-pele-tower-pert-1.html
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Building a Pele Tower Pt 1
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 09:54:26 AM »
The internal detailing (shown on the blog page, which is well worth a look) is especially well done.  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 09:59:00 AM »
Great work! 8)

I especially love the way you made the divisions between floors; they're almost invisible like this, as opposed to the usual straight cuts, which are always an eyesore. Stored for future reference ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 10:24:03 AM »
That's gorgeous! Always nice to see realistically-done wargames buildings

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 10:53:13 AM »
Good job there sir. :)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 12:09:10 PM »
That is a really nice build.  :-*

I especially like the step by step pictures which show your technique.

I have learned a few new and better techniques, which will influence my BSC2023 church build.

Thank-you

Mick

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 12:20:21 PM »
What a great build!

Can you explain a bit more about how you went from the first WIP picture (a basic box) to the second one (with windows, battlements and corner detailing) as that step seems like magic to me!

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 02:51:42 PM »
What a great build!

Can you explain a bit more about how you went from the first WIP picture (a basic box) to the second one (with windows, battlements and corner detailing) as that step seems like magic to me!

I cut most parts with a Proxxon table styrofoam cutter. Look up Youtube videos to see them in action. It is an indispensable tool.

The corner pieces started out as a long flat piece. I cut the alernating jagged edges that would result in the cornerstones and then sliced the piece into six thin strips. Those were then scored, folded and glued over the box's edges.

The windows were made in the same way. First I cut a block into the window shape, including the window opening. Then I sliced the block into thin bits each thin enough to be glued onto the outer wall of the box.

The battlements started out as long thick flat ends. I first cut one side into a 90 degree point (making the top) and then cut into the top at regular intervals to make the battlements. Finally, the pieces were cut to size and made to lock into each other at 90 degrees angles. Then the whole battlement was glued on top the the box.

Then I engraved all the masonry into the styrofoam with a pencil (the graphite provides a nice lubrication preventing tears) and separated the various floors from each other with a hot wire hacksaw. I deliberately did this in a random jigsaw pattern so that the lines would vanish into the masonry and the pieces would fit snug into each other.

Then I added the floors and so on.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 02:53:54 PM by Pijlie »

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 10:04:02 PM »
Great job!  I am impressed with your skills in building this an your technique to hide the section separations.  Look at the buildings available on ETSY from this vendor, King and Country.  This is one of many buildings they offer in 28mm and other scales: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1299409584/norman-stone-keep-dnd-terrain-for?ref=yr_purchases

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 11:53:15 PM »
Fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing the next update!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 05:25:51 AM »
OMG!!! Absolutely spectacular. If you ever want to sell it, please put me on the top of your list. I would be honored to use it. 😁

Thanks for sharing your craftsmanship.
Regards
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 07:09:45 AM »
I cut most parts with a Proxxon table styrofoam cutter. Look up Youtube videos to see them in action. It is an indispensable tool.

The corner pieces started out as a long flat piece. I cut the alernating jagged edges that would result in the cornerstones and then sliced the piece into six thin strips. Those were then scored, folded and glued over the box's edges.

The windows were made in the same way. First I cut a block into the window shape, including the window opening. Then I sliced the block into thin bits each thin enough to be glued onto the outer wall of the box.

The battlements started out as long thick flat ends. I first cut one side into a 90 degree point (making the top) and then cut into the top at regular intervals to make the battlements. Finally, the pieces were cut to size and made to lock into each other at 90 degrees angles. Then the whole battlement was glued on top the the box.

Then I engraved all the masonry into the styrofoam with a pencil (the graphite provides a nice lubrication preventing tears) and separated the various floors from each other with a hot wire hacksaw. I deliberately did this in a random jigsaw pattern so that the lines would vanish into the masonry and the pieces would fit snug into each other.

Then I added the floors and so on.

Thank you for providing all that extra detail!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 07:45:47 AM »
 :o I just love it! Brilliant building and on top playability from the inside. I can see the hero rescuing the captured damsel from the evil baron already….

Top notch!

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 08:03:26 AM »
That is awesome - the split levels and interior detail caught me completely by surprise :-*
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)