Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:15:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Basing WG Battalia ecw  (Read 1843 times)

Offline admiral duncan

• Student
Basing WG Battalia ecw
« on: January 16, 2020, 12:44:38 PM »
Hi Everyone still fairly new to Wargaming . More a painter than gamer . Would anyone be so kind as to advise on basing sizes for the Battalia box set . I have seen lots of figures based on the net but cant find any instructions on the warlord games plastic bases . By this i mean which green base fits which unit . Sorry if this sounds an easy one to all of you but want the figures i have painted to be useable if possible . What do i use the single bases for etc .

Many thanks

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Basing WG Battalia ecw
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 01:10:37 PM »
You mean this box of miniatures?
https://store.warlordgames.com/products/pike-shotte-starter-battalia

I assume you want to paint the army for a particular rule set?

Warlord Games' rules 'Pike & Shotte' has a basing footprint for each miniature (e.g. 20mm x 20mm for infantry and 25mm x 50mm for cavalry), or you can have larger bases with multiple miniatures on the base (e.g. 60mm x 60mm with nine infantry or two cavalry on the base). or you could use a combination of both to allow both ease of moment of a unit on the table top, etc.

This might help:
http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2012/12/pike-shotte-basing-wars-fun-on-6x4-table.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:13:29 PM by von Lucky »
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 04:15:08 PM »
I base my pike on 40mm x 40mm bases with 4 figures to a base.  The 16 pike then form a block 4  x 4 figures. 

The musketeers are based on a mix of bases that provide them in three ranks of 4 figures.  Two 40mm x 40mm and two 20mm x 40mm bases. 

Cavalry are based on 50mm x 50mm with two figures per base. My units are based on 8 figures i.e. 100mm x 100mm. This gives a good representation of Parliamentarian trotter cavalry who fight using the caracole tactic.  Royalist cavalry units are 6 figures based on 150mm x 50mm bases to represent gallopers.

On top of that I then use movement trays so that each pike, musketeer and cavalry block can be moved easily and I don't break the plastic pikes (or stab myself since I replace the plastic pikes with metal ones). 

I don't use the plastic bases as they slide on hills.  All bases and trays are in MDF from Warbases who offer a wide range and a very good service.  Hope that helps.

Offline admiral duncan

• Student
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 05:40:32 PM »
Thanks to both of you , very informative . Hopefully should have some based this weekend . Hopeully i will be able to upload some pics this weekend and reveal progress so far . Many thanks again its all new to me at moment but should be able to base them up now

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 06:53:42 AM »
For the record my basing is pretty much the same as Hu Rhu largely out of convenience and my regular opponent bases his similarly (although not identically, which is no deal when using rules such as Pike and Shotte, War Without An Enemie, etc).)

Offline admiral duncan

• Student
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 12:57:47 PM »
Thanks for all the help on based here's a few pics of progress so far . Apologies for slow appearance of pics .

Offline admiral duncan

• Student
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 01:00:29 PM »
Better pic sorry didn't realise you could add more to same post

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 08:58:45 PM »
Looking good!

You've posted the same picture twice, but I'm not sure how to upload pictures here (so can't help).

Offline admiral duncan

• Student
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 09:29:19 PM »
Oops will try to upload another few tomorrow lol . Thanks for heads up

Offline admiral duncan

• Student
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 09:36:41 PM »
Can't quite do multiples for some reason
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:38:38 PM by admiral duncan »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:43 PM »
Suitably grand  :)

Offline admiral duncan

• Student
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 07:06:36 AM »
Many thanks von lucky . Hopefully this week will at least get some block painting on a pack of new model army . Warlord games again but have a few bicorn metals to add some different poses . Struggling out here in Bulgaria getting wargaming figures but brought all my stuff from uk so should keep us going for a while .