Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686434
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Starting with the hobby, Mortal Gods basing and basic questions  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Palmoin

• Student
Starting with the hobby, Mortal Gods basing and basic questions
« on: January 20, 2020, 04:41:38 PM »
Hi guys!

I want to start playing some ancient skirmish games, so I got the three Mortal Gods boxes (Starter, Athens and Sparta), I got as well two warbands from the Clash of Spears KS and the SPQR starter box (just for the miniatures). The idea is to have enought minis of each faction to play it in a skirmish game.

I would like to start playing Mortal Gods and Clash of spears, but since the first one is played in round bases, which should be put in group bases (not glued, removable for casualties) and Clash of Spears lets you play with round bases, the obvious choice at first should be to glue all my minis on round bases. However, if I want to use the same minis for Hail Caesar, for example, I would not be able to use minis with round bases.

The question is: Has any of you had the same issue? How can you base all the minis to make them compatible with every possible game?

I have some other questions, such as where you buy the minis, the shield transfers (if you use any) and any other general tip I could use. I live in Spain, so the delivery cost is not usually great for orders from the UK... I have already taken a look at Crusader, Wargames Foundry and Footsore, but I would like opinions from people that have had the minis in their hand.

Thanks!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
Re: Starting with the hobby, Mortal Gods basing and basic questions
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 05:32:04 PM »
Hi Palmoin....I was exactly where you are now a few months back as I embarked first with Mortal Gods and then the K/S for Clash Of Spears...I have used the shield transfers by Little Big Man Studios that are available via Victrix who make the plastic figures in the Mortal Gods boxes....if you follow the instructions you should have great results

(there is also this helpful clip on YouTube)

https://youtu.be/uPBMPHGxmeo

As Oshiro Models points out you can use movement trays to accommodate round bases...I am using those made by Warbases as they make all kinds of bases and movement trays that you can specify to be pre-drilled for magnets

https://warbases.co.uk/

Look forward to seeing your figures
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 06:21:59 PM »
About miniatures you also have distributors of many in Spain.
La Flecha Negra and i think Libreria Atlantica to state some.
Do a search on google and i´m sure you have some with most of the miniature ranges/manufacturers.
Also some uk manufacturers have in their websites links to distributors of their products in Spain.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:04:53 PM »
Welcome!

As has been said for Hail Caesar you can use sabot bases or movement trays. HC is pretty flexible when it comes to the size of unit bases - and from a rules mechanism perspective really doesn't care about the number of figures on a base, or in a unit.

Offline Palmoin

• Student
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 10:52:00 AM »
Thanks very much guys!

Hi Palmoin....I was exactly where you are now a few months back as I embarked first with Mortal Gods and then the K/S for Clash Of Spears...I have used the shield transfers by Little Big Man Studios that are available via Victrix who make the plastic figures in the Mortal Gods boxes....if you follow the instructions you should have great results.

As Oshiro Models points out you can use movement trays to accommodate round bases...I am using those made by Warbases as they make all kinds of bases and movement trays that you can specify to be pre-drilled for magnets

https://warbases.co.uk/

Look forward to seeing your figures

I will take a look at those movement trays (with magnets), which seem to be the best solution. I'll look for the transfers as well :) For the minis, I'll start soon I hope, but it will take long to have them finished :(

For the round bases you can use sabot trays.

https://oshiromodels.wixsite.com/oshiromodelswebshop/product-page/ga07-25mm-clear-sabot-movement-trays

Those look very nice, especially when you play with a gaming table, but the magnet addition to the mdf ones looks like more practical to me. Thanks anyway :)

About miniatures you also have distributors of many in Spain.
La Flecha Negra and i think Libreria Atlantica to state some.
Do a search on google and i´m sure you have some with most of the miniature ranges/manufacturers.
Also some uk manufacturers have in their websites links to distributors of their products in Spain.

Thank you! I didn't know those. The online stores I know sell mainly Victrix and Warlord, which are more suitable for making big armies I think.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 05:48:31 PM »
I did try posting this link a day ago but my post seems to have disappeared, so here it goes again.

Hail Caesar will work with square and round bases.  The problem with round is that it is harder to rank figures up nice and close for things like a dense phalanx.
I also like to have figures multipurposed.  I have come across this although haven't bought any yet:

https://www.elrikshobbies.com/products/base-converters

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 09:40:20 PM »
Hi guys!

I want to start playing some ancient skirmish games, so I got the three Mortal Gods boxes (Starter, Athens and Sparta), I got as well two warbands from the Clash of Spears KS and the SPQR starter box (just for the miniatures). The idea is to have enought minis of each faction to play it in a skirmish game.

I would like to start playing Mortal Gods and Clash of spears, but since the first one is played in round bases, which should be put in group bases (not glued, removable for casualties) and Clash of Spears lets you play with round bases, the obvious choice at first should be to glue all my minis on round bases. However, if I want to use the same minis for Hail Caesar, for example, I would not be able to use minis with round bases.

The question is: Has any of you had the same issue? How can you base all the minis to make them compatible with every possible game?

I have some other questions, such as where you buy the minis, the shield transfers (if you use any) and any other general tip I could use. I live in Spain, so the delivery cost is not usually great for orders from the UK... I have already taken a look at Crusader, Wargames Foundry and Footsore, but I would like opinions from people that have had the minis in their hand.

Thanks!

That is a lot of ancients :) !!!
very cool !!

Offline Palmoin

• Student
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 11:26:52 AM »
That is a lot of ancients :) !!!
very cool !!

I know I went a bit crazy buying things, but the idea is to invite friends to play and being able to choose among different factions.

I did try posting this link a day ago but my post seems to have disappeared, so here it goes again.

Hail Caesar will work with square and round bases.  The problem with round is that it is harder to rank figures up nice and close for things like a dense phalanx.
I also like to have figures multipurposed.  I have come across this although haven't bought any yet:

https://www.elrikshobbies.com/products/base-converters

I think for Hail Caesar is still better a tray to group several units. The regiments won't look very dense as you say, but with the base converters would be similar in my opinion, since the converted base is always going to be bigger than the original.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 06:35:16 PM »
Sorry,
I was meaning that, while round bases do work for Hail Caesar, you could have figures based on square bases to rank them up tighter but use the converters to round when playing Mortal Gods or similar rules.  I presume these converters allow figures to be removed from them, or are they permanent?

Offline Palmoin

• Student
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 10:03:51 AM »
Sorry,
I was meaning that, while round bases do work for Hail Caesar, you could have figures based on square bases to rank them up tighter but use the converters to round when playing Mortal Gods or similar rules.  I presume these converters allow figures to be removed from them, or are they permanent?

The problem then would be that the converter makes 20mm square bases into 32mm round bases, which is too big to fit into Mortal Gods' group bases.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 11:40:22 AM »
The problem then would be that the converter makes 20mm square bases into 32mm round bases, which is too big to fit into Mortal Gods' group bases.

Hi Palmoin....try checking out the Warbases site again....they do all manner of mdf washers which allow 20mm to become 25mm or 30mm etc etc...I’m not so sure about square to round but if figures are based on 1p pieces or 20mm circular bases then their movement trays for those sizes allow them to be ranked up pretty tight ;)